Buying 50cc scooter in Taipei

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Buying 50cc scooter in Taipei

Postby mr.copula » 25 Jun 2012, 00:52

I've tried walking around to a few mechanics with my Taiwanese friend, but it seemed no one wanted to sell to a foreigner. I've already looked online, but I can't find any 50s for sale. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestion on where to look.
mr.copula
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Buying 50cc scooter in Taipei

Postby finley » 25 Jun 2012, 11:32

Yeah, I've come across that, but if you have a valid ID and driving license you should have no problem. Cash in hand will also grease the wheels - you don't have a cat in hell's chance of getting credit. If there is a problem, just take your business elsewhere - I'd say 50% of scooter shops freak out at the sight of a foreigner, and the other 50% are quite happy to make some profit even if E.T. rolls in wanting to buy a Goldwing.

btw don't get a 50cc. They're not much cheaper, they pollute more, they're not so efficient, and they're less fun to drive. They're also downright dangerous if you can't keep up with fast traffic. Get a 125.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles