Mechanic forgot to put oil back in, I drove it, now broken. What to do?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Mechanic forgot to put oil back in, I drove it, now broken. What to do?

Postby timpearson26 » 23 Jul 2012, 09:05

I took my bike in to get an oil change at my regular mechanic (been going there for about a year, nice guy, I THOUGHT). I pick up the bike that night. The next day I am heading somewhere and about 5 minutes down the road the bike makes a horrible noise and cuts out. I walk it to the nearest scooter shop and the guy tells me there is no oil in it. He doesn't touch the bike. I get the original mechanic to come to where the bike is. He helps me get it back to his shop. He then tries to tell me that no, there is oil in it and the other mechanic didn't know what he is talking about.

I have to go somewhere, so about 3 hours later I return to check on my bike. He says it is running fine and there is no problem. I have him open the oil fill cap and yep, NOW there is oil in there. I ask him if he's lying to me, he says no. I leave with my bike. Drive it for 1 minute, and there is still this horrible sound that was never there before. I go straight back. Now I am mad. I accuse him more, enthusitacially, of lying to me and he finally admits it!! He doesn't apologize, he just says he will fix it. I am very mad so I tell him I will talk to him in a few days. I take my bike and walk it home.

The bike is an old used bike that was cheap, BUT, about 10 months ago I paid a different scooter shop about 9,000NTD to rebuild the whole engine (bottom and top end) (I got a good deal through a friend, the actual cost was actually about 13-14K)

What should I do. If this guy lied to me already, how do I know he won't just fix my bike with the cheapest and/or 2nd hand parts he can find? Any advice?

TL;DR: mechanic forgets to put oil in bike after oil change. I drive it and it breaks. Mechanic lies about forgetting to add oil, finally confesses and agrees to fix bike. I don't trust him now. What should I do?

Tim
timpearson26
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Mechanic forgot to put oil back in, I drove it, now broken. What to do?

Postby dan2006 » 23 Jul 2012, 10:50

I think in the end you will probably let him fix it.

You can demand to take it to another shop to get it redone and that he pay for it but he will likely say no. To sue him in court for $9k will prove costly I would think.

It was probably an oversight but I would be pretty mad if that happened to me. But I think in the end it's best to let him fix it, otherwise you have to waste time and money going through the court process.
dan2006
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

52 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby timpearson26 » 23 Jul 2012, 11:39

dan2006 wrote:I think in the end you will probably let him fix it.

You can demand to take it to another shop to get it redone and that he pay for it but he will likely say no. To sue him in court for $9k will prove costly I would think.

It was probably an oversight but I would be pretty mad if that happened to me. But I think in the end it's best to let him fix it, otherwise you have to waste time and money going through the court process.

Yeah that is what I am probably going to do. I don't want to sue, too much hassle for so little money. I did already tell him that I want him to pay for another shop to fix and he said no, here in TW the way they do things is that he will fix it for free. I am just worried because he seems dishonest that he will not do it correctly, or at least in the cheapest way possible.

Any ideas of a way to get him to do it properly? I don't understand engines that much, so I can't just hang out at the shop and watch him do it.
timpearson26

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby timpearson26 » 23 Jul 2012, 11:42

Any idea of what will be broken in the engine? I did not sieze because it will still turn over and even start and run. There is just a loud noise now. What will have to be done/replaced?
timpearson26

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby dan2006 » 23 Jul 2012, 21:36

I don't know what would have broken as I am not really mechanical. But even though its moving, the fact that things are scraping around inside tell me it will seize again real soon.

I usually stand over the mechanics as they do the oil change because I am paranoid about things like that.
dan2006

52 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby CemXen » 24 Jul 2012, 19:11

Engine is dead.
You need a complete rebuild or swap it.
I fear that the mechanic will not perform a correct rebuild (going cheap).

Another option would be to yell at him and request that he give you another second-hand bike in exchange.

------------
And I'm mechanical engineer
CemXen

4 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles