Need advice on buying a used motorcycle

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Need advice on buying a used motorcycle

Postby Evlesoa » 23 Jul 2012, 16:14

Hi,

So I have finally arrived in Taiwan, and have been here for a month. In 3 months, I will apply for ARC and will continue to study Chinese for the next 9 months before applying to go to college (I am young still, I have not finished college in America because I came here in the middle of the Spring semester, and have debt to pay... go figure. At least I can save money here though!).

Anyway, irrelevancies set aside, I'm going to want to buy a motorcycle for around 15-25k (maybe 30k being the upper limit). I don't care if it's a piece of crap, as long as it runs well and can go relatively fast because I've got a long-ass trip to get to my language school. Secondly, I don't really know anything about the mechanics of motorcycles (except for some really basic stuff), so I'd like to know if there are any English-speaking mechanics in 臺北.

Now for my questions:
1. I would like a motorcycle, NOT a scooter (unless I absolutely have no choice). The reason being is that I'm a bit over 6'2, and I like to have my legs rest on the side rather than cram them in the front where my hands are (I've ridden scooters in the past, and not so comfortable). Where can one choose to buy a used motorcycle within that price range (15-25k, or 30k max)? Is there a forum, a store, or something here in Taiwan?

2. Where may one find an English-speaking mechanic? The threads around are like 8 years old. How reliable / updated is the information?

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Cheers!
Evlesoa
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Need advice on buying a used motorcycle

Postby Abacus » 24 Jul 2012, 08:10

You will have no problem buying a 150cc motorcycle for 15-25kNT but you will need to learn how to drive in Taiwan. You don't go fast in the city.

If you're in Taipei then someone else can suggest streets to go motorcycle shopping. In Kaohsiung there are 5-10 motorcycle dealers on Jianguo Rd and Jiuru Rd.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

115 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby John » 27 Jul 2012, 23:18

Moderator's note.

The OT discussion on How to Drive in Taiwan has been moved to its own thread
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=112084

Please leave this thread for any advice on buying a used motorcycle

Forumosan avatar
John
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

27 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 20 Aug 2012, 10:04

As a well known motorcycle fan....my advice is buy a scooter. I'm a bit over 6 foot. And when I first moved here I didn't want a scooter at all. But after having one given to me....I now would pick a scooter over a motorcycle as my main vehicle any day. A scooter is 10 times more practical than a motorbike....but if you just want "cool" then get the motorbike.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby wonder » 01 Sep 2012, 00:35

Mordeth wrote:As a well known motorcycle fan....my advice is buy a scooter. I'm a bit over 6 foot. And when I first moved here I didn't want a scooter at all. But after having one given to me....I now would pick a scooter over a motorcycle as my main vehicle any day. A scooter is 10 times more practical than a motorbike....but if you just want "cool" then get the motorbike.

Totally agree. I have both a scooter and an MC and I use my scooter much, much more than my bike. Scooters have got to be the most practical thing about living in TW..other than the food. It's no wonder there are so many scooters in use on this island and elsewhere.

But I would never trade my MC for anything nor would I sell it. It's way too much fun and as Mordeth says, it's great for the "cool" factor.
"Close up I am big but far away I'm small and hardly here at all."
Ray Davies from The Kinks
wonder
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby ForumosaTim » 08 Sep 2012, 03:44

+1 for scooter
ForumosaTim
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles