Renting big bikes

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Postby Mordeth » 14 Apr 2005, 09:35

21p wrote:
Just my two cents as an-ex rider of real bikes who can't afford one here. :(

You can rent one for about 3000 n.t. . I'm sure as a foreigner you might be able to make friends with the boss of the local "big bike" shop. And then might be able to get him down to 2000....a lot of people spend 2000 at the bar in a night. And since many of us only ride on the weekends....you might be able to ride as much as us...for cheaper (taking into account we sell our bikes for much less than we paid...usually).
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Dangermouse » 14 Apr 2005, 12:19

Are you talking about renting a Big bike, Moredeth? If so, 3000NT for how long?
Dangermouse
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby Mordeth » 14 Apr 2005, 13:56

Dangermouse wrote:Are you talking about renting a Big bike, Moredeth? If so, 3000NT for how long?

Yep. I met a white guy in the mountains and he was riding the same bike as me a 600cc CBR. I think it's a 12 hour rental, wouldn't be any less...Kawasaki rider adivses against it, though. He says they will purposely put shitty tires on the rentals in hopes that you crash so that they can make money from repairs...since you are fully liable. But that seems a little paranoid to me. And even with stock tires....you should be fine as long as you're not taking corners at full lean. I'm sure a 400cc would be less...maybe 2500.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby MotorcycleRider » 14 Apr 2005, 14:03

Please DO NOT rent a big bike. It may seem cheap and like nothing at the time, but they are a very devious bunch (big bike renters). My buddy's shop does a lot of service work for several bike rental shops. So I have been witness to many of the crashed rentals that come into my buddy's shop. The rental shops are quite tricky, I know for a fact they put shitty tires on their rental bikes. I have know several guys who have rented bikes, crashed and had to buy the bike. The last guy rented a Ducati Monster, he lowsided and they made him buy the bike. I later checked, and they had installed different types of tires on the front and rear. On top of that, the rear tire was a not the right size, plus it was a touring tire, not meant for a sports bike. I'm warning all who want to went, please reconsider. BTW, they will make you leave your credit number or a chque written for the amount of the bike before they rent the bike to you.

Think about it, they pay half a million for a bike, they rent it for $3000 for 10 hours, but how often do they get someone renting. Maybe once a week, if the weather is bad they get no business. How long would it take them to make their money back? Forever, if they were just renting it. So, the only way they get their money back is by having someone crash one of their bikes and having to pay the retail price for it.

BTW, if you drop their bikes, they will not ask you to pay to get it repaired. They will charge you the cost for a new whatever it is. Then they never really buy a new part, but just repair whatever is broken themselves and keep the rest of the money. Stay away from rental shops they are a scam.
Forumosan avatar
MotorcycleRider
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby Mordeth » 14 Apr 2005, 14:13

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread again Image, but as a foreigner you might be able to make friends with a big bike shop boss. A couple of the big bike shops I go to love foreigners...and a couple don't. But if you were to visit the shop and chat with the owner....you might be able to rent from a shop...and not from a rental place. Most shops have lots of 2nd hand bikes...some less legal than others. And they'd probably be willing to throw a plate on one of them and let you ride it for some cash. If you live near Tao-Yuan I could recommend a trust worthy shop that loves foreigners.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby 21p » 14 Apr 2005, 14:26

Kwacker

That's what I thought when I checked it out. A Firestorm/Blade/Hurricane/WholeHeapOfBadWeather for GBP50 a day? No way. And no mandatory fully comp insurance? So of course they want you to bin it. A real bike renter would have fully comp on all his bikes, collision damage waivers, a GBP750 deposit, and would charge a pretty penny.

No, I'll make do with my little one until I can afford a second hand big bike. Actually a CB400 would suit me fine, just a little more grunt for the hills. Too old and fat for any more of that knee down malarky. Bullshit actually. I want my GSX750 back. :help:
21p
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Dangermouse » 14 Apr 2005, 14:42

Cheers Kwack and Moredeth for the advice.

Moredeth, I'm still laughing at your signature.
Dangermouse

Postby Captain Stag » 14 Apr 2005, 19:52

21p wrote:Kwacker

That's what I thought when I checked it out. A Firestorm/Blade/Hurricane/WholeHeapOfBadWeather for GBP50 a day? No way. And no mandatory fully comp insurance? So of course they want you to bin it. A real bike renter would have fully comp on all his bikes, collision damage waivers, a GBP750 deposit, and would charge a pretty penny.

No, I'll make do with my little one until I can afford a second hand big bike. Actually a CB400 would suit me fine, just a little more grunt for the hills. Too old and fat for any more of that knee down malarky. Bullshit actually. I want my GSX750 back. :help:

I can't say I've heard bad stories about rentals since I've had a few foreign buddies rent from a friend's shop down here in Taichung..however, that shop has changed their rental policy and seem to be doing fishy stuff now....they have a VIP club plan type of thing..if you put donw 35,000$NT for the "A" class membership, you are charged a lower hourly rental rate that is deducted from your 35,000$...

Then the "B" class membership is 20,000$ and the hourly rate is a bit more....and then the "c" class membership is 10,000$ with a significantly higher hourly rate.....it seems dodgy and again, all the risk is on your side.....not a good option...

If you consider buying a CB400, make sure to get a newer one with VTEC.....The CB400 VTECs are quite peppy for 400s....in the low RPMs, it's a bit sluggish but once the VTEC kicks in the bike comes to life. Good tires and a good rear shock will make it a fun and cheap alternative to the full priced sportbikes!....

Cheers
Forumosan avatar
Captain Stag
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby plasmatron » 15 Apr 2005, 10:03

skylarkpuma wrote: I can't say I've heard bad stories about rentals since I've had a few foreign buddies rent from a friend's shop down here in Taichung...

Next time take alook at the small print in the contracts you've got to sign before you get a bike out the door... whilst some rental shops here in Taichung are less mercenary than others when it comes to deliberatly trying to set you up to crash, the small print is practically criminal... ie. if you crash the dodgy '03 Fireblade, you are instantly required to hand over the bike *and* NT$700,000 :loco:
"freedom is allowed, but not encouraged." Teng Tien-yu, secretary-general, Taiwan central election comittee
Forumosan avatar
plasmatron
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

3 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 16 Apr 2005, 20:44

My mechanic on Hsi-tuen Road, in Taichung, rents out a range of bikes, including his own Ducati.

Since I'm keen to get to get back on a real bike (still love my Fuzzy for around-town stuff), I asked of him the requirements to rent a bike.

Licence, and passport left at the shop as deposit. NT2000 for a 12 hour rental of a 250 Hornet (figure I'll get comfortable on that before getting on the bigger ones).

And since I'm not familiar with the routes out to SML I'll be joining the him and his mates on the ride out there. The leading rider 'guards' dodgy intersections, and falls to the back when the other riders have passed said intersection, to safeguard the lesser experienced riders in tow, with this system working in a cycle. After falling to the back, he keeps an eye on the pack ahead, and should anything happen, he's right behind. Seems like a good system to me.

I asked about the tyres, and was told they're touring tyres, but since I won't be leaning into corners at 120km/h on this particular bike (and until I've got my 'feel' well and truly back), that seems ok by me. He did say he adjusts the suspension according to the riders weight.

He does have an A, B and C membership system (voluntary), and if one chooses this option, the price drops reasonably, with the least amount payable being NT3000. That would get me two 12-hour sessions on the Hornet.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles