Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby littleiron » 03 Sep 2002, 15:36

This has been hit on in many threads, but I just went to the DMV in Taipei and had something new happen which I hadn't heard or read about before.

I have an Int'l Driving License for cars (I assume the procedures for motorcycles are the same, but I'm not sure). The guy I talked to was VERY certain this is how they work:

If you are in Taiwan for less than one month, they are valid. After one month, they are not valid unless you go get them stamped at the DMV (what they call a 'visa' in Chinese - qian1 zheng4); its fairly quick and free (or it might have been a hundred NT, I forget). Anyways, the guy said that if you have it stamped, it is valid in Taiwan as long as the license is valid.

I had never heard this before; I've heard they're never good, they're only good for two months, and they're only good for six months. Just thought I should share this, in case any of you are interested (I just got fined for not having a license; they might be trying to crack down more on these things, so be careful...)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 371
Joined: 18 Oct 2001, 16:01
Location: Taipei

You're right...

Postby maoman » 03 Sep 2002, 15:45

I had the same experience. I had my license stamped/validated for free at the DMV on Bade Road. One time a cop stopped me and told me that my license wasn't valid.
Me: Are you sure?
Him: Yes, it is not valid in Taiwan.
Me: Are you really, really, sure?
Him: It is against the law to drive in Taiwan with one of those things.
Me: Well then, what's this all about? (I show him the validation clearly stamped on the inside of it.)
He then took out his gun and pistol-whipped me for being a smartass. (Well, ok, he didn't.) But judging from the expression on his face, he was thinking about it. :lol: After much muttering and back-pedalling he let me go.
User avatar
Posts: 12290
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill

Postby amos » 07 Sep 2002, 13:23

Is there any way to extend the international drivers license without having to go back to your country?
User avatar
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Posts: 2062
Joined: 27 Mar 2002, 17:01

Postby Rascal » 10 Sep 2002, 13:29

Is there any way to extend the international drivers license without having to go back to your country?

Not that I know off. In my case I need to go back and actually be resident (which I am not for tax reasons, something which is completely legal in case you wonder), i.e. have my permanent address registered in Germany.
A 2nd address (like your parents house) is sufficient however.
According to my information embassies do not offer such services and driving licenses don't fall into their area.

So if you know you are going to stay for several years I rekon to consider a transfer (if applicable) or get a local license. Doesn't solve the problem when travelling though but you could then always get a "local" international driving license ...
Sign here
User avatar
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)
Posts: 8176
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: The other side


Postby goinabroad » 10 Sep 2002, 14:37

If you're from the US, you can just do it through the mail. Check out the AAA website for your state, and you can download the application from there! You do have to have a US drivers license though.


Postby iris » 10 Sep 2002, 14:42

According to the German Institute, you can drive a car here with your national German driver's licence for 185 days after arriving here. They advise to have a translation of your diver's licence there seems to be no written rule for it. This is a bilateral thing and applies for Taiwanese in Germany as well, but not necessarily to other Foreigners in Taiwan.

Alternatively, you can drive with an international drivers licence for 30 days after arrival before you have to get it stamped by the Taiwanese authorities. The Taiwanese admission is either valid for the length of your ARC or the validity of your international driver's licence, whichever is shorter.

They say the third alternative is to take a local driving test including a theoretical and a practical exam, with the theoretical exam in English. This is a link to the Motor Vehicles Office:

User avatar
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Posts: 1259
Joined: 25 Mar 2002, 17:01
Location: lost

Postby littleiron » 10 Sep 2002, 15:01

Unfortunately for the German Institute, nobody, including the local DMV, probably knows for sure. If you look at the AIT website (I think it was the website), they offer no advice for becoming a legal driver in Taiwan, as every time they called the DMV they would get different answers to the same question.
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 371
Joined: 18 Oct 2001, 16:01
Location: Taipei

Postby Anonymous » 10 Sep 2002, 16:22

I've got international licenses in the mail from the UK (contact the RAC or AA) every year for the last 3.

Postby Traveller » 10 Sep 2002, 19:09

Why go through all of the rigmarole, when it is so easy to pass the local driving test. If a person is legally here ie has an ARC then it is a simple procedure, which does not take very long. Once got it solves all the issues.

In all of the countries i visit, if I am there for more than a few months, then if i cannot use my International or obtain a local licence by having a UK one, then i just take the local test.
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Posts: 1854
Joined: 27 Jun 2001, 16:01
Location: 台北市內湖區

Postby Barneyman » 12 Sep 2002, 01:32

I just got my international Driving Permit/License here in the UK which says it is valid for 1 Year? Is that so or will I have to get it stamped after 30 days like previously said.

Also how does the insurance work in Taiwan? My girlfriend and I are about to buy a scooter there when I arrive next week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Cars & Motorcycles

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests