Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby megadata » 26 Aug 2008, 17:21

joesax wrote:I don't think your nationality makes any difference. Where did you hear that it does? It's not about who you are but where your license is from. As far as I know, you're in the same boat as the rest of us with a Brit driving license: you'll either have to get a UK IDL and get it authenticated here, or do the test here and get a local license.

There are very few places that do have reciprocity agreements with the ROC for driving licenses. If you were a country with a real driving test, would you devalue it by saying it was equivalent to the test here? :)


hi joesax

Taken from http://www.tmvso.gov.tw/English/index.a ... er_license

Transferring into Taiwan's driver license

Requirements:
  1. A.R.C card. (over one year residence period)
  2. Three 1-inch photos.
  3. A registration form with the qualified physical examination.
  4. A valid passport and original driver's license.
  5. Your foreign driving license must be authenticated overseas by an embassy or consulate of the Taiwan, or Representative Office, Liaison Office or other office duly authorized by the Taiwan Ministry Of Foreign Affairs or be authenticated in Taiwan by your country's embassy, consulate or other office which is duly authorized by Taiwan Ministry Of Foreign Affairs
  6. Fee:NT$200


I am not sure how I go about getting point 5 done. BTCO says they won't do it. Even their website says:

As the BTCO has no diplomatic status, we can only provide a restricted consular service through the British Assistance and Services Section (BASS). We can verify that we have witnessed and returned an original document but we cannot

* Provide notarial acts
* Attest or verify documents and/or signatures
* Administer oaths
* Produce certificates of no impediment for marriage.


Am I barking up the wrong tree here? The reason I _think_ nationality makes a difference is that as a ROC citizen, I can change a full foreign licence into a ROC one without having to take a test. A colleague called up for me and I just need authenticated licence, photos and $200. Confirmed here http://www.thb.gov.tw/new_english/left-licences.htm

I think I am stuck in no man's land here. Guess that's the cost of having dual nationality. Anyone else here experienced this? If BTCO cannot authenticate/notarise my UK driving licence, who can?

My brother successfully obtained a ROC licence using a UK licence a few years ago. However he just went to the DMV and didn't need his licence authenticated. I guess they tightened up the rules.

TIA!
megadata
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 10:47

6000

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby Belgian Pie » 26 Aug 2008, 17:36

Step 5 you need to do by mail or in person ... I just 'upgraded' to a big bike license and had my original drivers license translated, authenticated by all the authorities needed and stamped by the TECO in my homer country ... than just did the stuff as mentioned in Taiwan with the DMV ... and because my country has several models of drivers license (EU crap) and a different system as in Taiwan the DMV and I had a serious argument, but I won ... I have my big bike license now ... it cost me some run around during my holiday back home and some 'mouth juice' here ...

I had it stamped four times:
1. Court of justice in the jurisdiction where the translator lived (authenticating the translator's signature)
2. Ministry of Justice in Brussels (authenticating the stamp of the previous)
3. Ministry of foreign affairs (authenticating the stamp of the previous)
4. TECO in Brussels (authenticating the stamp of the previous)

... and I paid a urgent fee to get the TECO do it while I was waiting ...

And still the DMV made an erroneous assumption ... eventhough they have a book that has most driver's license and ID cards, passports worldwide ...

My first encounter with DMV was some years back as I had my original swapped for my first two licenses in Taiwan ... I had it translated, authenticated by the BO (Belgian office) in Taiwan ... then I went to the MOFA to get the signature of the person in charge at the BO authenticated before I proceeded with the documents to the DMV ... I had a long argument with the MOFA that said they couldn't do that and I had to go to Belgium to have the TECO take care of it ... yeah, right ... me going to Belgium to get a stamp for my license ... so, I had a long argument that I lived in Taiwan, couldn't go to Belgium blah, blah, blah ... had the office manager or guy in charge of the MOFA called out and after persisting he had it stamped and authenticated ... than the same procedure at the DMV, long argument with the person behind the counter, supervisor coming in ... got my two licenses ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10676
Joined: 31 Oct 2004, 19:39
Location: High ground
1 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby Joesox » 26 Aug 2008, 17:51

megadata wrote:The reason I _think_ nationality makes a difference is that as a ROC citizen, I can change a full foreign licence into a ROC one without having to take a test. A colleague called up for me and I just need authenticated licence, photos and $200. Confirmed here http://www.thb.gov.tw/new_english/left-licences.htm
Oh, right. I didn't know that.

megadata wrote:I think I am stuck in no man's land here. Guess that's the cost of having dual nationality. Anyone else here experienced this? If BTCO cannot authenticate/notarise my UK driving licence, who can?
Probably the Taiwan Representative Office in London, though they might possibly want it to be authenticated by another body such as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office before.

Information gleaned from another thread:
Taipei Representative Office
50 Grosvenor Gardens
London
SW1W OEB

020-7881 2650
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
 
Posts: 7135
Joined: 01 Oct 2002, 00:12
Location: new banana paradise
7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby rawsushi » 06 Sep 2008, 22:53

Belgian Pie wrote:Step 5 you need to do by mail or in person ... I just 'upgraded' to a big bike license and had my original drivers license translated, authenticated by all the authorities needed and stamped by the TECO in my homer country ... than just did the stuff as mentioned in Taiwan with the DMV ... and because my country has several models of drivers license (EU crap) and a different system as in Taiwan the DMV and I had a serious argument, but I won ... I have my big bike license now ... it cost me some run around during my holiday back home and some 'mouth juice' here ...

I had it stamped four times:
1. Court of justice in the jurisdiction where the translator lived (authenticating the translator's signature)
2. Ministry of Justice in Brussels (authenticating the stamp of the previous)
3. Ministry of foreign affairs (authenticating the stamp of the previous)
4. TECO in Brussels (authenticating the stamp of the previous)

... and I paid a urgent fee to get the TECO do it while I was waiting ...

And still the DMV made an erroneous assumption ... eventhough they have a book that has most driver's license and ID cards, passports worldwide ...

My first encounter with DMV was some years back as I had my original swapped for my first two licenses in Taiwan ... I had it translated, authenticated by the BO (Belgian office) in Taiwan ... then I went to the MOFA to get the signature of the person in charge at the BO authenticated before I proceeded with the documents to the DMV ... I had a long argument with the MOFA that said they couldn't do that and I had to go to Belgium to have the TECO take care of it ... yeah, right ... me going to Belgium to get a stamp for my license ... so, I had a long argument that I lived in Taiwan, couldn't go to Belgium blah, blah, blah ... had the office manager or guy in charge of the MOFA called out and after persisting he had it stamped and authenticated ... than the same procedure at the DMV, long argument with the person behind the counter, supervisor coming in ... got my two licenses ...


As I've had my Taiwan licenses since 1994 ... lemme get this straight - you recently took a translation of your driver's license from Belgium and got them to give you the big bike license with no test?

Does Belgium have multiple different license types? My current US license is from California - and the license there is for 51cc plus. I argued & argued with the guy at the Jun Li Shwoa ... and there was no way he was going for it. He gave me the license up to 250cc.
Say what you mean, mean what you say.
You can only live once ... are you?
rawsushi
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 May 2008, 06:49
Location: Taichung

6000

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby bob_honest » 03 Oct 2008, 08:52

I have an international driving license from Germany, wife and me brought it to the Taipei (although we live in Zhongli) motor (driving license and stuff) authority [no idea what's their formal name] and they were putting a "visa" into it, meaning a Chinese "acceptance" page making it valid.

We got contradictory info in advance if this is possibly or not, but finally it worked (depends on the clerk?).

I needed ARC and the international license, that's all.
Did not have to go to my country's rep or whatever.
Warning: If you see one of my posts in a thread, please consider it might be an incredibly stupid discussion. Because otherwise it would not have caught my attention.
Forumosan avatar
bob_honest
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: 10 Jan 2004, 06:04
Location: Taipei
102 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby mingshah » 03 Oct 2008, 11:48

bob_honest wrote:I have an international driving license from Germany, wife and me brought it to the Taipei (although we live in Zhongli) motor (driving license and stuff) authority [no idea what's their formal name] and they were putting a "visa" into it, meaning a Chinese "acceptance" page making it valid.

We got contradictory info in advance if this is possibly or not, but finally it worked (depends on the clerk?).

I needed ARC and the international license, that's all.
Did not have to go to my country's rep or whatever.


Yes, thats the way it works. You can do that in Taoyuan Motorvehicle Office too, I trained them well there for you. ;)
Only disadvantage for me is, Austria just issues IDL's for one year valid, so would have to get a new one every year and get the whole damn thing done again. Just was fed up with that and did the test, but dont have the big bike license, at least not yet. Anyway, cant afford one at the moment, so solve that problem when it is relevant I guess.
The Beauty of Taiwan: http://youtu.be/LfVzQzzAF-M
mingshah
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: 30 Oct 2005, 12:31
Location: On the hills behind Xindian
19 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby Mordeth » 03 Sep 2010, 07:20

So in the OP it says that an IDL is good for 30 days in Taiwan without a stamp. Is this true? Or does it need to be stamped at a DMV right away?
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
 
Posts: 3916
Joined: 26 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Taoyuan County
13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

6000

Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby Joesox » 03 Sep 2010, 08:32

Mordeth wrote:So in the OP it says that an IDL is good for 30 days in Taiwan without a stamp. Is this true? Or does it need to be stamped at a DMV right away?

30 days sounds right. Though I seem to remember Llary saying that a cop told him 60.

I don't think we ever established what the 30 days refers to, though - whether it's 30 days from date of issue, or from entry to Taiwan.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
 
Posts: 7135
Joined: 01 Oct 2002, 00:12
Location: new banana paradise
7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby maoman » 03 Sep 2010, 09:35

It's entry from Taiwan. I challenged a ticket I got about 7 years ago, and they actually wanted to check my passport! I couldn't believe their efficiency. It cost me 6k. Dammit.
Image
Forumosan avatar
maoman
 
Posts: 12290
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill
76 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Postby rice_t » 03 Sep 2010, 09:47

It is good for thirty days after entry. After that you need to get it stamped, which is simple and free of charge. Then it is valid for 6 months. (you probably do need an ARC though, not sure)

Beware that this could be different if you are from Ghana, Egypt, Swaziland, Kentucky, California or Oklahoman etc.

And people from say France, Italy, the Benelux, Denmark, Turkey, Japan, Korea and some others can apply for an R.O.C driving license anyway.

http://english.mvo.taipei.gov.tw/DO/Dow ... 463064.xls
Impeach Jason Hu!
Forumosan avatar
rice_t
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
 
Posts: 748
Joined: 15 Apr 2004, 19:19
Location: Tunghai Villa Resort
1 Recognized(s)

6000

PreviousNext




 
 
 x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 5 visitors

Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is the special occasion -- UNKNOWN