joesax wrote:I don't think your nationality makes any difference. Where did you hear that it does? It's not about who you are but where your license is from. As far as I know, you're in the same boat as the rest of us with a Brit driving license: you'll either have to get a UK IDL and get it authenticated here, or do the test here and get a local license.
There are very few places that do have reciprocity agreements with the ROC for driving licenses. If you were a country with a real driving test, would you devalue it by saying it was equivalent to the test here?
Taken from http://www.tmvso.gov.tw/English/index.a ... er_license
Transferring into Taiwan's driver license
1. A.R.C card. (over one year residence period)
2. Three 1-inch photos.
3. A registration form with the qualified physical examination.
4. A valid passport and original driver's license.
5. Your foreign driving license must be authenticated overseas by an embassy or consulate of the Taiwan, or Representative Office, Liaison Office or other office duly authorized by the Taiwan Ministry Of Foreign Affairs or be authenticated in Taiwan by your country's embassy, consulate or other office which is duly authorized by Taiwan Ministry Of Foreign Affairs
I am not sure how I go about getting point 5 done. BTCO says they won't do it. Even their website says:
As the BTCO has no diplomatic status, we can only provide a restricted consular service through the British Assistance and Services Section (BASS). We can verify that we have witnessed and returned an original document but we cannot
* Provide notarial acts
* Attest or verify documents and/or signatures
* Administer oaths
* Produce certificates of no impediment for marriage.
Am I barking up the wrong tree here? The reason I _think_ nationality makes a difference is that as a ROC citizen, I can change a full foreign licence into a ROC one without having to take a test. A colleague called up for me and I just need authenticated licence, photos and $200. Confirmed here http://www.thb.gov.tw/new_english/left-licences.htm
I think I am stuck in no man's land here. Guess that's the cost of having dual nationality. Anyone else here experienced this? If BTCO cannot authenticate/notarise my UK driving licence, who can?
My brother successfully obtained a ROC licence using a UK licence a few years ago. However he just went to the DMV and didn't need his licence authenticated. I guess they tightened up the rules.