Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Postby hm » 23 Nov 2005, 09:01

mingshah wrote:It is also possible for me (Austria) to take the test at any time. The medical check can be done there. They were very nice and trying to help and also answer my questions.

I (German) was told the same at Taipei's MVD in Bade Rd. - but when I wanted to register at a driving school to do the test I was told that I still have to ride a bike <= 250cc for 1 year before I can upgrade to the real big bike license. That's ridiculous, considering that I have the permit to ride bikes with unlimited performance capacity for some 20 years and that I was legally riding such big bikes for some 2.5 years in Taiwan on my stamped IDL. :fume:
Forumosan avatar
hm
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Re: You're right...

Postby EscapedFromTaiwan » 25 May 2006, 04:58

Maoman wrote:I had the same experience. I had my license stamped/validated for free at the DMV on Bade Road. One time a cop stopped me and told me that my license wasn't valid.
Me: Are you sure?
Him: Yes, it is not valid in Taiwan.
Me: Are you really, really, sure?
Him: It is against the law to drive in Taiwan with one of those things.
Me: Well then, what's this all about? (I show him the validation clearly stamped on the inside of it.)
He then took out his gun and pistol-whipped me for being a smartass. (Well, ok, he didn't.) But judging from the expression on his face, he was thinking about it. :lol: After much muttering and back-pedalling he let me go.

Same thing happened to me on a number of occasions. Never had a problem, even with the few traffic accidents that I was involved in.
EscapedFromTaiwan
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby gcat » 02 Aug 2006, 16:29

I'm sorry, I'm a bit unclear. If I take my Australian (ACT) drivers license in, do they change it for a Taiwan license, or can I get one in addition to my Australian license?
gcat
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Joesox » 02 Aug 2006, 23:08

gcat wrote:I'm sorry, I'm a bit unclear. If I take my Australian (ACT) drivers license in, do they change it for a Taiwan license, or can I get one in addition to my Australian license?
I don't think so. According to the table of reciprocity on the Taipei City Motor Vehicles Department website, Australians need a valid International Driving Permit. When you have that, you take it (within one month) to your local Motor Vehicles Department office, show them your ARC, fill in a form, and they'll stick a bit of paper in the IDP that permits you to use it for its full period of validity.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Re: Validity of International driving permits

Postby gcat » 03 Aug 2006, 00:13

Ironman wrote:For the first time ever (4th year here) I went to get my International driving permit stamped as I read somewhere that after 30 days it needs a stamp.

They asked what state in Aus I am from. Funny question I thought. They then told me that I can not drive in Taiwan. I tracked down the manager and got a photocopy of a document that says if you are from Canberrra or Western Australia you have reciprocal rights. So, obviously the same thing would work in reverse off a Taiwan issued international licence being used in Australia.

Note that I have no ARC and come in on a 90 day visa as thats plenty of time before a trip out for whatever reason.

So, I still do not believe this. There has to be a communication/ interpretation error. Anybody know about or heard about this?

Sorry, I think I got confused by the whole reciprocal rights thing in this post. So, I need an International Drivers License, and, because I have a Canberra license I can get it stamped and use it. If I was from any state that is not the ACT or WA, then I couldn't even use an International Drivers License. Is that right?

I have an ARC, and have been here for a year and a half (almost 6mths since last entry).
gcat

Re: Validity of International driving permits

Postby Joesox » 03 Aug 2006, 00:37

gcat wrote:Sorry, I think I got confused by the whole reciprocal rights thing in this post. So, I need an International Drivers License, and, because I have a Canberra license I can get it stamped and use it. If I was from any state that is not the ACT or WA, then I couldn't even use an International Drivers License. Is that right?
I don't think so. I think you should be able to get an International Driving Permit stamped whatever state you're from.

I think what Ironman may have been talking about was full reciprocity -- i.e. you show them your Canberra license and they give you a Taiwanese one. I have no idea about this and to be honest I'm not sure whether most Motor Vehicles Department staff have either. The reciprocity table on the TCMVD site justs lists "Australia", not individual states. It shows that you need an international driving permit.

But why not just do the local license test, if you're going to be driving quite a bit?
Joesox

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Stian » 14 Sep 2006, 14:00

I would like to clear one thing up.

How long is a international driverlicense valid when I don't have the stamp?
Is it 3 mounts from I entered the country or is it 3 mounts from the license was ishued?

I arived in January, but I just had a internatioal one shiped to me this week.
Do I have to get the stamp right away? And can I do it in Lou Dong or Y-lan/ So-Au?
Forumosan avatar
Stian
Be wealthy your entire life (fù yù, zhěng gè shēng mìng)

Postby Joesox » 14 Sep 2006, 14:04

Stian wrote:I would like to clear one thing up.

How long is a international driverlicense valid when I don't have the stamp?
Is it 3 mounts from I entered the country or is it 3 mounts from the license was ishued?

I arived in January, but I just had a internatioal one shiped to me this week.
Do I have to get the stamp right away? And can I do it in Lou Dong or Y-lan/ So-Au?
One month. I'm not sure about whether that means from when you entered the country or from when it was issued, but it would be sensible to get the "stamp" (actually a bit of paper stapled in the IDP) right away. Any DMV office should be able to issue this. Go there with your ARC and the IDP, and a couple of passport-sized photos -- I can't remember how many they need; maybe just one.
Joesox

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Stian » 14 Sep 2006, 16:04

joesax wrote:quote]One month.

I think that depends on nationalety.
I'm quite shure that in my case it's 3, but I'm not able to find out if it's from the license ishue date or the stamp in my passport or ishue off ARC.

My ARC is for some reason only valid for 11month and 20days so I could not take the local driving license. Dos this mean I can't get the stamp eather?

Do I have to just hope that next years ARC get 12months on it?
Forumosan avatar
Stian
Be wealthy your entire life (fù yù, zhěng gè shēng mìng)

Postby X3M » 14 Sep 2006, 16:09

Why don't you just go there and try to get the stamp in your International Driver License.
If they notice the difference of dates, just tell them the buraucracy is so slow back home, with long waiting list to get it issued.

Maybe they buy it, maybe not.....
I am a supporter of Taiwan's independence from PRC
- Not a compliment of the above, but most postings are in a drunken haze.
X3M
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles