Buying a decent helmet in Taiwan

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Postby fee » 16 Sep 2007, 09:38

So, if I was going to go out this week to a shop in Taipei to get an Arai helmet, which shop would you recommend (in Taipei), Dragonbones?

Do you have a shop that you like or would recommend for mid- to higher-range helmets?

The only helmet shop that I really know of is on the corner of Changan and Xinsheng (or Songjiang?)--it's the Penguin-brand one. I bought a helmet there a few years ago, and it has been OK, but I'm looking to upgrade now. And I think they only carry their own brand at this store.

Thanks for the help.
"As I said before, I'm from the Midwest. We were taught it's not polite to talk about ourselves.''
Forumosan avatar
fee
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 16 Sep 2007, 12:15

I haven't seen any shops with a decent selection, i.e., with larger sizes and also the western shell (Asian shells are rounder, I think). When I asked shops if they'd be willing to put a 2xl or 3xl on the shelf, they all refused (including the below two shops), saying they'd only order one if I paid for it in advance -- even though I'd have no guarantee that it would fit!

That's why I ordered all my Arais from abroad.

If you have a small or medium head, just try the shop at Bade & Jilong, or the one at the north end of Ruiguang St. in Neihu (see directions below), and try on the Arais that they have. For a long oval head, try on the Arai Signet. You're also quite welcome to stop by my apartment to try on our Arais (L, XL, 2XL, 3XL), KBC, Roof Boxer, Caberg, Vegas, Bell, and so on -- if you find one that fits you can then order one by mail order without worrying that it won't fit. I also have a few nice helmets (not Arai) for sale at a discount (ones that didn't fit us). Just drop me a PM.

Directions to Ruiguang shop:
(Berlin DYnamic Industry Co. Motorcycles and Accessories: 1F, #588, Ruiguang Rd., Neihu)
Heading east on Minquan, go past the bridge, Costco, under a freeway, to a gas station on the right and China Times bldg. on left. At that intersection, Ruiguang St., turn left (north) and go 19/20ths of the way to the end of the road (a few km.). On the left will be a 2-story plate-glass storefront with big bikes or gear visible, often with a big bike or two parked out front.

The manager is Lewis Li (he goes by Xiao3 Li3 in Chinese). Very friendy, helpful guy. The phone # is 2799-5430.

See also these threads:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 10&start=0
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 68&start=0
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby fee » 16 Sep 2007, 13:57

Thanks for the quick reply and the detailed information, Dragonbones.

I will probably try the shop on Jilong and Bade first and see what I can come up with there.

Thanks again.
"As I said before, I'm from the Midwest. We were taught it's not polite to talk about ourselves.''
Forumosan avatar
fee

2 Recommends(s)

Postby YingFan » 01 Oct 2007, 20:44

Anyone seen the Caberg Justissimo for sale in any of the above mentioned shops?

Cheers,
YingFan
Gastronomical Refugee
Forumosan avatar
YingFan
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Dragonbones » 01 Oct 2007, 22:25

YingFan wrote:Anyone seen the Caberg Justissimo for sale in any of the above mentioned shops?

Cheers,
YingFan

Negative. I mail ordered mine from England. From this place, if I remember correctly. Service was a bit slow, but ok.

I LOVE that helmet.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby kneelweighed » 07 Nov 2007, 16:04

Hi guys,

I've been looking for helmets in Taipei for the last few days and here are the stores I found:

The ones you mention:

1- On the SE corner of Bade and Keelung (Jilong).

2- The one just north of the entrance of Linguan Night Market (on Keelung (Jilong))

3- The one in Neihu (I didn't go to this one)

And two others:
4- On The corner of Heping West Road (sec 2) and Ningbo West Road. This one is actually a few meters south on Ningbo, not on the corner. It's called "H'S" and has a good selection of everything SBK and quite a few other brands.
http://www.sbk-sport.com/index_down.php ... &sele=shop

5- On ChengDe North Road just south of Minquan on the west side of the road. This one is a big, wide store that's easy to see...I think it's called "Da Chen". This one has a pretty good selection of parts and stickers and other junk, too.

I ended up buying a SBK modular from H'S that seems pretty nice. It was $3,600. $400 less than at the place on Bade. And they had a big backstock on sizes and colors. One guy there spoke a bit of English and they were probably the most friendly.

All the stores above carry a pretty good selection of high end and mid range helmets. It's probably worth doing what I did and visit them all to see what they offer.

Cheers,
-neil
kneelweighed
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Stefan » 08 Nov 2007, 11:43

just be careful with counterfeit items - everything can be faked.
i suggest to consult european or American prices too, they should be equal to what you would pay here.
and keep in mind: you get what you pay for.
Let's go to Mars to find Marsupials!
Stefan
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby kneelweighed » 08 Nov 2007, 20:41

Stefan wrote:just be careful with counterfeit items - everything can be faked.
i suggest to consult european or American prices too, they should be equal to what you would pay here.
and keep in mind: you get what you pay for.

You're absolutely right. I've found that Taiwan made helmets are a little cheaper than their American prices, but everything else seems to be about the same.
kneelweighed

Postby sulavaca » 09 Nov 2007, 09:58

My favorite shop to browse has the largest selection I have found and its at Keelung (Jilong) and Gwang Foo intersection. They have a large selection of different middle to top of the line helmets and other apparel displayed over the 1st floor and basement floor. Sorry if this place has already been mentioned, I haven't checked through this thread in a long time.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby omerojs » 09 Nov 2007, 10:31

Actually I don't know which one is that, or where it is, but for me, i will go to KBN in Taipei, i also dont know that one, but on yahoo they look like they have a lot of things to sell for riders.. the problem for me is that I am a big guy (1.93mts) and besides my size is 11.5 or 45 in American standard, not the 45 from Taiwan.. so for me to get proper boots or jacket or pants is a pain in the ass... even now i can not use pants, I have knee protectors, that is all... the jacket is not bad but it was hard to find..
Forumosan avatar
omerojs
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

5 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles