Motorbike Safety Training Courses

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Motorbike Safety Training Courses

Postby Stefan » 19 Sep 2006, 18:03

Well, it all started with the idea to do such a training. Turns out - there is none such available.
So I decided to take things into my own hand and asked around who would be supporting a regular training for all kind of bikes in separated groups (for big bikes, small bikes, scooters, women with possibly femal instructors and the like).

I got the support from some bigger companies already as well as from a motorbike magazine to cover the story and to get the word around. Things look good.

Does anyone know people who have any experience as instructors in regards to motorbike safety or just feels right to share the knowledge? Any input is welcome.

The whole training is intended as a non-profit event with sponsoring from different companies, magazines and bike clubs. What I have in mind is not only training for big bikes but rather for scooters, beginners, re-entry riders, special courses for women and people who switch from scooter to motorbike (already worked out training plans). What I still need is a fixed location for a 1-day or 2-day training and the aforementioned instructors.

We want to get some people together to share and learn from others and then maybe go on a nice little tour.

Waddaya think? Please help out with some input.

Enjoy the day
Stefan
Let's go to Mars to find Marsupials!
Stefan
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby redwagon » 19 Sep 2006, 18:24

Well, I've got some ideas as to who could help out with the street racing part of your course! :wink:
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby MJB » 19 Sep 2006, 21:27

redwagon wrote:Well, I've got some ideas as to who could help out with the street racing part of your course! :wink:

So do I...

I recommend this guy. :twisted:
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Stefan » 20 Sep 2006, 00:22

Cool, these two dudes seem to have a feeling for rythm (good for braking), for balance (good for cornering) and to know how to shift the bum over the seat when dodging trucks. Hired!

But seriously, I need some guys who know the stuff and are willing to tell the tricks. Foreigner, local, doesn't matter as long as you do know what you're doing. I already got a mixed group of guys together who want to know more than just the stuff you can read up in the magazines and then try it out on the streets. I remember one or two guys awhile back mentioning to organize some training on a parking lot. Are you guys still around here? Could need your help now.

Thanks
Stefan

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby plasmatron » 20 Sep 2006, 10:10

Good luck with your plan, and good on you for caring enough to try and educate people... A word of caution though, it's been done before through BMW Motorrad, rider training classes from very experienced riders and even BMW instructors, fell flat on it's face... why?... local guys don't like being told how to drive/ride by *anyone*, let alone a big nose... :idunno: :roll:
"freedom is allowed, but not encouraged." Teng Tien-yu, secretary-general, Taiwan central election comittee
Forumosan avatar
plasmatron
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

3 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby redwagon » 20 Sep 2006, 10:13

plasmatron wrote:local guys don't like being told how to *do anything* by *anyone*, let alone a big nose...
Fixed that for ya! :wink:

I read Stephan's original idea as being to run a class for foreigners, which has a chance of success. WRT to aiming at locals, well you can Google "snowballs +chance +hell".
Signature censored.
redwagon

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Stefan » 20 Sep 2006, 12:11

I am aware of the 'keep-the-face' situation and that we wont teach them anything in that approach. that's why i aim at local instructors or people who just have good buddies and bring them along. mixed groups are the solution.
and we spoke to BMW and they are quite keen in having theses sessions again but under a different approach.
it will not work when i only plan for occassional trainings, it will only develop over time. and persistence. first the word has to go around that we're planning something like this. i spoke to many already and asked their opinions, including city government. on the paper they all like the idea as well, but only as long as it is non-commercial i guess.

so, you guys ride bikes for how long now? 10 years? i just do it for a little over a year and i still see myself as a beginner. I'd like to know more and practice with people who have the expreience, and i bet my right arm that many here think the same. how about we start within forumosa and involve more and more people, like bike clubs. sure somebody has the right contacts. how about that? would you guys be willing to share this way?

thanks for all the replies. that's what we need. discussion.
Stefan

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 20 Sep 2006, 13:33

I been riding bikes of all kinds for over 30 years and raced them semi-pro for the first five or six, but I'm afraid I've been told more than once that ALL the local riders are much much better at it than me. Why? Because I'm a foreigner, of course!
What the hell do I know about Taiwan culture? What could I possibly have to teach local riders?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » 20 Sep 2006, 14:21

sandman wrote:I been riding bikes of all kinds for over 30 years and raced them semi-pro for the first five or six, but I'm afraid I've been told more than once that ALL the local riders are much much better at it than me. Why? Because I'm a foreigner, of course!
What the hell do I know about Taiwan culture? What could I possibly have to teach local riders?

:bravo: :bravo: :lol: :lol:

Where are you going to have classes? Who is your target group? What is the curriculum? What written material will be used

and will it be provided in Chinese? What skills will be taught? What kind of bikes will you use and whose bikes?

(Sorry I do something like this for a living- asking annoying questions.)

Bubba -18 Bikes/ 23 Years riding.
""It occurred to me, the basis of fiction, is that people have some sort of connection with each other that they don't" -Richard Harrow
Forumosan avatar
Bubba 2 Guns
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby redwagon » 20 Sep 2006, 14:35

Bubba 2 Guns wrote:(Sorry I do something like this for a living- asking annoying questions.)
That sounds like a great job, professional pain-in-the-ass!
Signature censored.
redwagon

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles