Motorbike Safety Training Courses

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Postby plasmatron » 29 Nov 2006, 10:53

If you guys are coming down the 3, here's the route to avoid the madness of Feng Yuan City and the hellish outskirts of Taichung City... It looks complicated but it's not really...

So you come barreling down the 3, until you get to Dong Shi (Tong Shr, etc)... You'll be looking to follow the signs that indicate Taichung, Provincial3, 129 and/or all the above, as you come through Dong Shi proper you'll want to aim for the massive bridge over the river, the bridge is still the 3, so you can't go wrong...

So you'll follow the road right at A, cross the bridge and at the first lights immediately after the bridge need to take the left at B... It'll be sign posted 129 / Taichung / all or none of the above, it's a comparatively small road, but there will be a lot of traffic going up it...

From there it's basically plain sailing since it's the 129 all the way into town and the parking lot we're aiming for, but even then it's a nice efficient route in Taichung City proper if you just keep going into town on Tai Tuan Rd....

You'll need to turn twice to keep on the 129, the first time is at C after a long tree lined straight, you'll be looking to take a right onto another long straight through an orchard of sorts... the turn is sign posted Taichung / 129 etc, again it's the only route in, so there should be cars to follow... Next after staying on the 129 through umpteen nondescript villages etc, you'll pass a gas station on your right and arrive at bizarre traffic circle of sorts at D where you'll want to aim downhill following the 129 / Taichung signs down the twisty hill into town...

Once you get to the bottom of those twisties you're basically in Taichung, you'll go right past Llary and Capt. Stag's places and keep on the 129 al the way in, being careful to take the left fork at E towards the traffic lights, *not* towards the tree/temple traffic circle... If you keep on down the 129 though a couple of lights, you'll soon hit a T junction which is the corner of Bu Zi Rd (which you'll be on) and Tai Yuan Rd. turning right onto Tai Yuan Rd. will put you spitting distance from the residential area / parking lot we're aiming for...

If you keep on straight down TaiYuan it'll take yo directly into Taichung proper, under the railway lines and to the corner of Tai Yuan Rd. and Bei Tuan Rd.
"freedom is allowed, but not encouraged." Teng Tien-yu, secretary-general, Taiwan central election comittee
Forumosan avatar
plasmatron
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

3 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby Stefan » 29 Nov 2006, 16:01

thanks plasma, we'll definately find it.

i just had a brief talk with adam the instructor, and he asked to schedule the kick-off to 11AM, so just one hour later as previously announced. He'll be coming down from taipei that morning and just needs a little bit more time.

so, it's set then: Sunday, Dec. 3rd., 11AM, at the place as seen above on the maps. Looking forward to see you there.
Let's go to Mars to find Marsupials!
Stefan
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Dangermouse » 29 Nov 2006, 16:39

Thanks Plasmatron - that way is nice and easy.

I usually turn left and go down the 8, then take a right at the collapsed suspension bridge into the mountains but it's al little more complicated.

I'll be in TaiChung at about 11. See you there.
Dangermouse
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby Captain Stag » 01 Dec 2006, 12:15

If the weather is good, I'll make it out there on Sunday (minus the GS, it's still in pieces at BMW) with the scooter.

Cheers
Forumosan avatar
Captain Stag
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Stefan » 01 Dec 2006, 16:27

you're most welcome. good to have you back. seems your recovery is real fast. glad to hear that. 2 thumbs up.
Let's go to Mars to find Marsupials!
Stefan

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Dangermouse » 01 Dec 2006, 17:11

How big is the area in Taichung? I have devised a course but need to know how much space I have. Is there enough room to get over 50 Km/h safely (perhaps in a bend)?

Adam.
Dangermouse

Postby lupillus » 01 Dec 2006, 18:03

Um, I probably should have thought of this earlier, but would anyone happen to have space in their livingroom around the Taichung-ish area and also be kind enough to let me crash there Saturday night? :oops:
I am soft scientist and you are hard scientist. In the middle is the angry thin man.
lupillus
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Captain Stag » 01 Dec 2006, 19:02

@Dangermouse. I drove by the spot today and it looked clear enough to make a 50km/h bend(s). It's a huge parking lot that hasn't opened yet and the rows are divided by grass medians. The medians turn the lot into neat rows, so you can make turns at the end of the medians.

@lupillus...I have a guest bedroom with 2 spare beds here, so you are welcome to stay here if you wish. I live near the place where we will have this event. However, I will be out at a friend's place tomorrow evening/night so I won't be home until a bit later....what's your plan for coming down?

Cheers

BTW: If anyone else needs a place to stay, let me know...I have a good set-up for guests.
Forumosan avatar
Captain Stag

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Dangermouse » 02 Dec 2006, 00:18

Superb - thanks Captain Stag. I have a course in mind which can be varied, but the 50 km/h collision avoidance part may put even the most advanced riders to the test - we'll see if setting up the course works on the day.
Dangermouse

Postby redwagon » 02 Dec 2006, 01:58

Guys, I think I will be around on Sunday. I don't have a bike to use, but I can hang out and help wherever, and I have some walkie-talkies to offer.

Someone has thought to bring a first-aid kit, right? :wink:
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles