Building a new racing team - meeting postponed

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

What's Happening With The Team...

Postby TaipeiSean » 15 Apr 2008, 22:31

So, does anyone have a calender of events out at LongTan?
When is the next Racing License test? Does anyone have a translation of the test or could write a quick one up, or a quick English Version of the rules we should know...
How about the next Rookies race?
How about some riding pointers to get around the LongTan track quicker and smoother.
How about Lap Times for the different classes of bikes, like, if I want to at least look competitive on my NSR, even if I am towards the back of the field, but not so I am being lapped every 5 or so laps, what should I be doing for a lap.
How long is the usual race? How long is the track?
I would like to race, (in a team) but I don't want to be an embarressment to the team...
Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans...
Are we having fun yet?
Forumosan avatar
TaipeiSean
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recognized(s)

Re: What's Happening With The Team...

Postby Temple » 15 Apr 2008, 23:47

TaipeiSean wrote:So, does anyone have a calender of events out at LongTan?

Here is the calender http://www.gamfa.com.tw/modules/piCal/

When is the next Racing License test? Does anyone have a translation of the test or could write a quick one up, or a quick English Version of the rules we should know...

License tests are the first saturday of the month. Still no translation, but its not really necessary..

How about the next Rookies race?

dunno

How about some riding pointers to get around the LongTan track quicker and smoother.

The best thing you could use now would be practice and good tires. I can tell you more about the conditions for each corner next time we're out there.

How about Lap Times for the different classes of bikes, like, if I want to at least look competitive on my NSR, even if I am towards the back of the field, but not so I am being lapped every 5 or so laps, what should I be doing for a lap.

Here are the lap times from the race before last. http://www.gamfa.com.tw/modules/tinyd0/ ... C2T-2.html

How long is the usual race? How long is the track?

Last time was 12 laps, the time before 11 laps, the track is 1.4km I believe

I would like to race, (in a team) but I don't want to be an embarressment to the team...

I'm still working on that myself...
If you don't push life to it's limit, how do you know if it's really there?

Its amazing how clear things become when you look at them from another perspective.
Forumosan avatar
Temple

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby TaipeiSean » 19 Apr 2008, 23:32

Well, as for joining the team... I need to get my times down a bit. I gave my 7 year old son the challenge of timing me today. He used the lap timing function on his cellphone to time 5 laps in a row. He did this during the beginning of my first session. Ha, just getting used to the track again, as well as my new tyres and brakes...

So what was the damage??? 1m:30s.99 WHAT!!! Didn't think I was that slow... My boy said he started and stopped the clock when the bike was at the same place... He didn't clock me during my second session, but I sure felt like I was getting through some parts of the track quicker after trying Mordeth's tip, and beng a little bit braver. Ha, maybe I got it down to 1m:25s.

So, at this rate, I will be lapped every 2 or 3 laps by the fast bikes in a race...

But anyway, it was still a blast out there today.
:bravo:
Are we having fun yet?
Forumosan avatar
TaipeiSean

4 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 20 Apr 2008, 00:09

TaipeiSean wrote:Well, as for joining the team... I need to get my times down a bit. I gave my 7 year old son the challenge of timing me today. He used the lap timing function on his cellphone to time 5 laps in a row. He did this during the beginning of my first session. Ha, just getting used to the track again, as well as my new tyres and brakes...

So what was the damage??? 1m:30s.99 WHAT!!! Didn't think I was that slow... My boy said he started and stopped the clock when the bike was at the same place... He didn't clock me during my second session, but I sure felt like I was getting through some parts of the track quicker after trying Mordeth's tip, and beng a little bit braver. Ha, maybe I got it down to 1m:25s.

So, at this rate, I will be lapped every 2 or 3 laps by the fast bikes in a race...

But anyway, it was still a blast out there today.
:bravo:

Well you can still join our team and not race. Just support the team until you feel ready to race, that is no big deal. Glad you are learning and having fun. I wish I could have been out there, but I am still in the States until next weekend. I just checked out some new suits, and even though I have one, I will probably bring home a nice new one. Frank Thomas one piece for only $400 US. Not bad.

Who else is going out this weekend?
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby TaipeiSean » 20 Apr 2008, 02:13

I just did a few calculations. Say the racing NSR that was there today was doing 60 secs, which is possible from the lap times posted on the GAMFA website, http://www.gamfa.com.tw/modules/tinyd0/ ... C2T-2.html
and say he was passing me every 4 laps that I did, which means he did 5 laps to my 4.
5 laps X 60 Secs = 300secs
300secs / 4 laps = 75 secs. This is a lot less than the 1:30 my young boy timed me at.
Even if we say the guy was doing 65 secs:
5 laps X 65 secs = 325 secs
325 secs / 4 laps = 81 secs, which while slow, is still a fair bit faster than the 1:30 previously mentioned.
Even if you did the same calculations with the guy passing me every 4th lap i.e. He did 4 laps to my 3, my times will work out a bit slower, but still faster than the 1:30.
Now if that racing bike was doing much slower than those times, I guess he wouldn't be competitive either...
Even with him doing 70secs, my times would be less than the 1:30

:noway:
Are we having fun yet?
Forumosan avatar
TaipeiSean

4 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 20 Apr 2008, 02:55

Yeah in the NSR group that Temple runs in, you at least need to be running consecutive 60 or 61-second lap times to be competitive. I have run a couple 61 seconds, but I lean more towards 62,63, even 64. Those race bikes are a little bit more equipped than mine, and probably way more than yours. It is all good, practice, have fun. We all will get there. Plus I am sure you could shave 10 or more seconds just from your riding style and bravery.
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951

10 Recognized(s)

Postby TaipeiSean » 20 Apr 2008, 03:02

rk1951 wrote: Plus I am sure you could shave 10 or more seconds just from your riding style and bravery.

Couldn't agree more than that statement.

Man, I nearly ran off the track at the end of the straight today. I backed off only a second later than what I had been doing and then when I leaned into the corner I was just going too fast for my cornering technique. Scared the hell out of me, but I couldn't help but laugh at how funny that must of looked...

Too bad my little boy didn't get that on video, he was sitting in the grandstand right there on that corner.
:oops:
Are we having fun yet?
Forumosan avatar
TaipeiSean

4 Recognized(s)

Postby TaipeiSean » 28 Apr 2008, 01:05

Is there a license test this Saturday. Anyone else gonna do it... Can anyone who has done it, give their translations of the rules, questions and answers on here...

What's happening with the team? Will there be some kind of get together. Roles need to be designated, time tables and plans need to be established and whatever else a Team needs to do.

Anyway, don't know shit about mechanics, pretty slow out on the track, but this is a great hobby and I would be a supporter of a Foreigner's Racing Team, with an aim to be racing sooner or later...
Are we having fun yet?
Forumosan avatar
TaipeiSean

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 28 Apr 2008, 13:33

I think the best thing you could do is experiment with countersteering as you said you were unfamiliar with it.

Here is a video I did about it: http://www.revver.com/video/803340/how- ... rsteering/
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

13 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Temple » 28 Apr 2008, 19:14

I heard rk is coming back in time for it. If you guys wanna meet up afterwards that'd work. I'm thinking however that its not really good timing to start up the team until we get more people racing.
If you don't push life to it's limit, how do you know if it's really there?

Its amazing how clear things become when you look at them from another perspective.
Forumosan avatar
Temple

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles