Red light cameras and Speed cameras

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: Red light cameras and Speed cameras

Postby zed » 17 Aug 2011, 08:50

pqkdzrwt wrote:... you can be walking along the only footpath (aka side of road) and then bam some scooter comes flying the wrong way down the road almost taking you out because they are trying to avoid the oncoming traffic.

Those scooter-riders may in fact not be doing anything wrong.
Where I live, the one-way rule applies to cars only.
Signs (in Chinese) at the intersections clearly state that "motorcyles are excepted" from the prohibition from entering one-way streets from the "wrong" end.
Banning scooters from riding against the traffic would basically be unenforceable.

So, watch out as you walk.
Oh, and always remember to fold in your right mirror when you park on the left side of a one-way street.
zed
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 17 Aug 2011, 09:03

zed wrote:
Those scooter-riders may in fact not be doing anything wrong.
Where I live, the one-way rule applies to cars only.
Signs (in Chinese) at the intersections clearly state that "motorcyles are excepted" from the prohibition from entering one-way streets from the "wrong" end.
Banning scooters from riding against the traffic would basically be unenforceable.

Thanks for the pointer, I can't read all the signs yet, however I am fairly sure there are no signs on this street permitting this behaviour...

As for the idea of not creating laws that are unenforcable, if Taiwan really worked like that, there would not be many laws (:
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 24 Jul 2012, 21:53

Im bringing an old thread I wrote years ago back to life hopefully.

Tonight I was just flashed by a camera on a main street. I know where the camera is and was not going over by any excessive amount but it still went off.

There were 3 scooters in the shot so I wonder if they just send the fine to everyone and hope everyone pays? :lol:

Is there any dispute process if they try to claim it was me and there were other people in the pic?

Thanks
Forumosan avatar
dan2006
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 24 Jul 2012, 23:13

If there are any other vehicles in a shot, then you can contest it. They shouldn't even be sending you a ticket.
I contested one like this once and the woman who I dealt with said words to the above effect.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 25 Jul 2012, 00:19

Super Hans wrote:If there are any other vehicles in a shot, then you can contest it. They shouldn't even be sending you a ticket.
I contested one like this once and the woman who I dealt with said words to the above effect.

Thans Hans

The guy in front of me took off like a shot and passed the camera very quickly and nothing happened. I came up behind him with 2 other scooters in the shot and it went off. There was a car stopped waiting for someone right in front of the camera as well.

I turned around and watched how it operated immediately thereafter. It seems that if a whole pack of vehicles blows by it really fast it does nothing. But when me and 2 others went by, it decided to go off.

I will be paranoid about my speed now :D
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 01 Dec 2012, 21:55

In answer to my last question, no ticket ever came. I assume it was the guy behind me that set off the camera in any case.

Tonight I crossed the stop line at a red light and got flashed again, but I did not go through and both pictures would show that I was stopped.

Has anyone got a ticket for simply crossing the stop bar?
In Canada, they throw those pictures out, but I'm not sure about Taiwan.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby Novaspes » 02 Dec 2012, 09:59

llary wrote:Parts of the no. 1 freeway have been changed from a 100km/h limit to 110km/h. Does that mean that previously it was dangerous to go over 100km/h but now it's safe, even though nothing else has changed?

No, it only means legislators realized a 110 kph limit is ok, based on new evidence, examples or on a review of old data.

Only idiots never change their opinion.

As for respecting rules, I agree that some speed limits feel wrong, but it is not our place to decide to change them. It is of course our freedom to choose to break a rule, with all the consequences it might bring.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Forumosan avatar
Novaspes
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

648 Recommends(s)
173 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 02 Dec 2012, 10:20

Novaspes wrote:
llary wrote:Parts of the no. 1 freeway have been changed from a 100km/h limit to 110km/h. Does that mean that previously it was dangerous to go over 100km/h but now it's safe, even though nothing else has changed?

No, it only means legislators realized a 110 kph limit is ok, based on new evidence, examples or on a review of old data.

Only idiots never change their opinion.

As for respecting rules, I agree that some speed limits feel wrong, but it is not our place to decide to change them. It is of course our freedom to choose to break a rule, with all the consequences it might bring.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think llary checks into this site anymore but my 2 cents is that we have no ability to change the speed limit in the first place. Short of complaining to the government about the low limit, it is their decision to set the limit.
In Canada, my form of protest is applying for a court date. This costs money and if enough people did it, would cost more money than it would bring in revenues, thus forcing the government to change the unnecessarily low limits. But in Taiwan I don't believe there is this option.

Radar detectors and GPS with camera locations allow us the freedom to break a rule without the consequences however :)
And getting caught in Taiwan is mostly just people not being observant. For example down south here, people make a right hand turn without stopping to look first, usually running right into the waiting police. If they had stopped and looked first and noticed the police, they would not have made the turn.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby SlowRain » 02 Dec 2012, 20:21

dan2006 wrote:...camera locations...

Any chance there is an Android app for that?
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

16 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Lo Bo To » 02 Dec 2012, 22:20

I just got nailed for speeding on my scooter by a photo radar camera last week. I was going north on Hsin Shen South road between Roosevelt and HePing. Just a heads up. I was going 68 in a 50 zone. NT 1600 fine.
Forumosan avatar
Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles