CPI SM250 & related banter

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: CPI SM250 & related banter

Postby mabagal » 17 Jan 2012, 14:01

rk1951 wrote:
TaFCoML wrote:Just wondering, but have you guys ever had a problem with the bike just cutting out? It happened again yesterday while I was accelerating out of a red light (so it wasn't from stalling, and it also wasn't due to being low on gas). Anything similar happen to anyone before?

Yes!! My CPI would do this every now and then too. Like once every 2 weeks if I was riding it a lot. I didn't figure it out, and it didn't matter if my bike was low on gas or not. Since I have upgraded my carb it hasn't ever done it again. So who knows!!

If it's carbed and just plain dies while you have fuel in the tank and spark, it points to a sticky float bowl assembly first and foremost.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby TaFCoML » 17 Jan 2012, 15:28

mabagal wrote:
rk1951 wrote:Yes!! My CPI would do this every now and then too. Like once every 2 weeks if I was riding it a lot. I didn't figure it out, and it didn't matter if my bike was low on gas or not. Since I have upgraded my carb it hasn't ever done it again. So who knows!!

If it's carbed and just plain dies while you have fuel in the tank and spark, it points to a sticky float bowl assembly first and foremost.

Thanks. I'll get it checked out (and try not get mown down in the meantime :neutral: )
Derp.
Forumosan avatar
TaFCoML
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 17 Jan 2012, 16:30

oh wait, is it a cut out then back on power? or just it just die and then start again later?

the first one could be a number of things, but there's not too many places to look. in order of easiness:
1) air filter could be so filthy that it falls flat when you try to make power like when accelerating
2) your ignition box or coil could be dying. first check for spark, check grounds, and maybe swap ignition boxes to see if that fixes the problem
3) carb could have clogged jets, in which case you can get it cleaned (and may as well, while you're in there) and rebuilt

the second one is the often the float bowl not getting enough fuel into it fast enough and the bike basically dies from running out of gas in the float bloat to feed the engine even though the fuel tank is full and the petcock is open.
mabagal

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 17 Jan 2012, 19:05

Could the fuel tank venting system be defective? Dunno what its like on the CPI.

Probably unlikely if it suddenly cut out, rather than lost power fairly gradually.

More likely to cause a problem the fuller your tank is, since it'd develop negative pressure quicker.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

7 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 20 Jan 2012, 04:51

Why in the hell did CPI decide to use spoke wheels? Anyway, I finally broke a rear spoke. I'm not fixing it, I'm buying a real wheel!
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Bokonon » 20 Jan 2012, 07:29

Off-road bikes always have spoked wheels :D
Forumosan avatar
Bokonon
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby rk1951 » 20 Jan 2012, 15:59

Bokonon wrote:Off-road bikes always have spoked wheels :D

CPI isn't an off road bike in my opinion. I wouldn't be caught dead on that bike off road. :) Spoked wheels are just so stupid!
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 21 Jan 2012, 05:09

Spoked wheels can be repaired in the field. Therefore, if you want the "round the world" adventure tourer / crazed enduro rider look, you must have spoked wheels.
Ask yourself... why do all (as in 100%) of MX bikes have spoked wheels? different reason. Weight.
Thankfully, the poser adventure tourer bikes, like the VStrom (I love it, I own it) use cast ally wheels... Zook knows not to take the ADV look to extremes.
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 19 Feb 2012, 10:02

Mags can't take abuse like spoked wheels can, and if you knock them out of whack you're fucked. Spoked wheels can easily be trued and also absorb trail shocks better to boot. And they look better on motards I think. I know a few high end motards have mags but in my opinion they look like posing toys for people with more money than sense ($150,000 for a pair of Marchesinis... fuck that!). The real motards all have spoked wheels, but they are stainless spokes, not the galvanised shit on the CPI.

My starter occasionally stops working. I can still hear the relay though. It's because as the seat moves a little, it rubs the connecting wire to the battery and sometimes it breaks off. I've had it fixed two or three times. I worked out yesterday that it's happened again, but I can just move my arse about on the seat and make the connection.

Anyway, my dad's staying at my house for a few weeks. We want to go on a ride in the mtns over to Yilan and back. The options are, we go on the CPI and scooter and switch occasionally, or we borrow another CPI off someone. My father is a very experienced rider, been riding since the 60s, always had bikes, commuted to work every day for about 20 years etc. In other words, he's not likely to drop your bike if you lend it to us for a day. Any takers, or anyone want to join us one weekend?
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby pommes king » 19 Feb 2012, 12:16

jaame wrote:or we borrow another CPI off someone. Any takers, or anyone want to join us one weekend?

Would love to join, or if you can't find another one, just take mine. It goes without saying that; you break, you pay, easy as that. And maybe later you can return the favour :D

PS: Spoked wheels are nice for Youngtimers, Bobbers, Trackers etc I think - not for SM IMO.
Forumosan avatar
pommes king
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles