Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

CPI SM250 & related banter

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: CPI SM250 & related banter

Postby TaFCoML » 17 Mar 2012, 00:21

Afraid I haven't heard anything about the newer models, but I can report back on having it as an everyday bike. As RK said, small problems here and there, but all in all a fun bike. I do take care of it though, getting it serviced regularly and having kept it (for most of its 2.5yrs worth of living) in indoor parking.

Update: Got it checked out and they confirmed that the carb needed a change (NT4k). Yay for it starting really easily now after short stops (the face I was losing waiting for it to start in parking lots, I tell you what).
Derp.
Forumosan avatar
TaFCoML
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 17 Mar 2012, 02:05

TaFCoML wrote:
Update: Got it checked out and they confirmed that the carb needed a change (NT4k). Yay for it starting really easily now after short stops (the face I was losing waiting for it to start in parking lots, I tell you what).

The stock carb is junk! They go after 2 years...go figure! I upgraded and have not had any more carb problems. It made so much of a difference! Do the new ones have fuel injection?
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 17 Mar 2012, 08:55

rk what carb you using? do you need to any other modification, tuning to run it good?
feropont
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby rk1951 » 17 Mar 2012, 10:39

feropont wrote:rk what carb you using? do you need to any other modification, tuning to run it good?

Im using a CVK Kelhin 33 or 34mm (I forget the size.) I think the stock carb is a 30mm. It didn't make much of a power difference, just a bit..but it has made it run better. Before my idle was always out of wack and my bike used to just suddenly die on me at stop lights. It hasn't done that since I changed my carb.

To do it right you will need to modify your airbox a bit. But it isn't that hard.
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951

10 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 24 Mar 2012, 22:39

When I bought mine I was told the stock carb was 26mm, and if you change the header to the non cat one, they also change the carb to 28mm when new. This could be wrong though.

My bike has had a few rides in the past couple of weeks. I got a Pirelli Sport Demon 110.70.17 tyre on the front. Actually I sent my dad to Zhongli Motorbike to get a BT39 but instead of just doing what he was told, he noticed the Bridgestone was tubeless fitment and didn't get it (doing me a favour!). Anyway it's going fine. It feels a lot quicker steering, and also more stable, than a standard maxxis front with 13,000km on it that's totally bald on the left side. How it would compare to a new one I don't know. I had both pegs down no worries last weekend on the 118 though so I think it's a definite improvement.

I think the standard Maxxis rear is $2500 at the CPI shop in Taoyuan.

My carb has started doing that uneven idle thing again, pulling up to traffic lights and it's sitting there at 3300rpm. Maybe my carb's fucked too. How can the carb on my wife's scooter do 14 years and 79,000km and still be fine?

I went to get a new throttle cable today because mine is feeling grindy and fucked. I saw a customer there with a brand new SM250, still had the paint on the tyres and everything. It looks like the only things they've changed in the past three years is the rear mudguard shape, the front disc shape, the rear brake caliper and the headlight design, and also the cosmetics. It could be different inside but externally it looks like the exact same bike save for those things.

I'm considering changing the throttle to a slightly quicker action one... anyone else done that?
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 25 Mar 2012, 20:35

I changed rear tire to 140/70-17 Kenda K761 dual sport, so far so good, I like it. Good on the road, went to a beach and played in the sand,didn't stuck (of course sand was not completely dry after overnight rain) and its also looks better (meaner) for my color scheme (Military issue KTM LT4)
feropont

4 Recommends(s)

Postby jaame » 01 Apr 2012, 23:13

I changed the throttle cable and externally cleaned the carb yesterday. It's running a lot better now but it has stalled twice when pulling away from lights in the last couple of weeks. Could it be the beginning of th end for my carb too? The pump function may not be working properly because it happened when I opened it up off the idle. It's Keihin though and I know that's a good make. How can it be so crap?

I also removed the instrument panel to see how it goes. The only thing on it I miss is the neutral light to be honest. I'm sure I'll get used to not having one. I'm itching to try that number plate out.

I'm kind of into it at the moment. I feel like buying the fastace USD forks and shock for $32000. Unfortunately I've just bought a house and my wife's having another kid in two months so it's not looking very likely.

On the positive side, a new gold chain and sprockets must be bought just to keep the bike on the road. I wonder how much that would set me back for a setup like yours RK.

Also, master cylinder size. Pommes has 18mm I believe. WHat is yours RK? Can you adjust the bite point on those Frando master cylinders?

I tried out a Monster 800 and a Kawasaki ER6N Ninja today over Gueishan. The monster definitely has too much power for me, the Kwak maybe just a bit too much. I don't know how much they have and it was only fifteen mins on each bike, but definitely I would like to have a 50% power hike on the CPI.

I feel like taking a trip down to Hsinchu to visit Michael and Wei Lun Racing to see what they have in stock and what's in the pipeline. Im going to keep the CPI I think and try to mod the looks on the cheap.

I really want to get the brake light modified so that it flashes on half of the LEDs for indicating and I can remove the orange flashers. I wonder, how difficult would it be to sort the electronics out to do that? Last time I tried to have it done, put a strip of orange LEDs inside the case and you couldn't see them, plus the resistance was wrong so it flashed too fast. Someone must know how to do it properly, this is TAiwan!
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 01 Apr 2012, 23:44

I cut hole on the top of air box and definitely feel there are few more horses at middle range, plus sound is different
feropont

4 Recommends(s)

got pics?

Postby pommes king » 02 Apr 2012, 11:39

feropont wrote:I cut hole on the top of air box

hi, got pix of that?

@J;
-number plate will be brought asa I can get my bike! Hopefully before wednesday... (-RK?)
-No manually adjusting of the pressure point on my Frando...
-Whenever you go to Hsinchu, let me know, that#s just over the hill and a nice road there as well!
Forumosan avatar
pommes king
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

BTW

Postby pommes king » 02 Apr 2012, 11:45

it got slippery on the front when going left last ride.... :D

Forumosan avatar
pommes king

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles