CPI SM250 & related banter

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: CPI SM250 & related banter

Postby feropont » 02 Apr 2012, 15:35

Here is a photo of my DIY stock airbox improvement, I just used box cutter to make a hole Image

And here is a photo of K761 tire in the back Image
feropont
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby jaame » 06 Apr 2012, 23:44

I took the airbox front cover off a couple of years back and it made the bike a lot louder and I think it also gave the power delivery a flat spot. Since I cleaned the carb up, the flat spot seems to have disappeared (!).

I've found a pimp looking rear LED light with the number plate hanger directly below the light, and the angle is adjustable. I've taken my back light off so I can take it down to compare the plug. If the connector is the same as mine (I don't know how likely this is) I'm going to get it, then remove that god awful black plastic inner mudguard/number plate hanger thing once and for all.

I think twi CRF250 pipes mounted under the belly would look awesome, and finally let me screw the plate onto the back of the airbox. One of these days, I'll put $10,000 aside and do it...

I saw a SYM T1 at metrowalk today with a HUGE "Hirzan Racing" disc on the front. It looked like it was 350mm, it was almost touching the rim.
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 07 Apr 2012, 09:17

Does CPI has ECU? Does it need to be reset after such mods as airbox mod?
feropont

4 Recommends(s)

Postby jaame » 07 Apr 2012, 23:43

Who knows? I doubt it's that high tech.

Today I purchased a new small LED rear light and hinged number plate hanger. I removed the back mudguard and that awful plastic number plate hanger, removed a bit of the subframe and drilled some new holes to fit the light through. I'm bolting it directly on to that cross member at the end of the subframe rails, so maybe it will be about 30mm further forward than stock and I'll be able to get it close to horizontal with the new adjustable hinge.

I'm going to bin the indicators for now, but I saw some little flat ones that look like bicycle reflectors. I gather you stick them onto the face of the number plate and bolt them through the existing slots. I might give some a try in a week or two.

Quick action throttles... any knowledge to share?
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 09 Apr 2012, 01:34

feropont wrote:Does CPI has ECU? Does it need to be reset after such mods as airbox mod?

An ECU comes with EFI. CPI motos don't have EFI.
CPI make a 300cc scooter with EFI and ECU, and CVT.

Can you believe it... flogging CPI 250s in Ole Blighty! The 250 meets Euro 3 spec with a carb!
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 10 Apr 2012, 19:09

I washed "the beast" and found another broken spoke, the first one to break on the non-drive side. I wonder if it would be worth ordering a load of stainless steel ones from the internet and changing them all over.
Took a quick spin after work today, she was pulling like a champ. I don't know why, but the carburation is definitely smoother since I rinsed the carb with WD-40.

I think we should have a group rideout in the next couple of weeks. Who's keen? Is Saturday or Sunday preferable for you chaps who work weekends?
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 10 Apr 2012, 20:07

I am loving the colour scheme n the new kTM 690 SMC-R.
I wonder how much it would cost for a full set of new plastics for the CPI. Mine are faded to fuck, on the right hand side and on top of the mudguards is barely orange any more. All black with an orange front mudguard would be "pretty rude"
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 11 Apr 2012, 00:03

jaame wrote:I washed "the beast" and found another broken spoke, the first one to break on the non-drive side. I wonder if it would be worth ordering a load of stainless steel ones from the internet and changing them all over.
Took a quick spin after work today, she was pulling like a champ. I don't know why, but the carburation is definitely smoother since I rinsed the carb with WD-40.

I think we should have a group rideout in the next couple of weeks. Who's keen? Is Saturday or Sunday preferable for you chaps who work weekends?

I'm totally keen. Lets wait until Pommes King has his CPI back. It is still over at CSRT waiting on a few parts. I'm ready though. Sunday might be a better day, but Saturday is ok if I am not going to the track to practice. My NSR finally after 6 months is fixed, so I am keen to practice out at TIS.

You know 2 weeks ago I went out to watch some races and there was a CPI racing team out there. They were all teammates and raced their CPI's in the CPI class. It was awesome, and a few of them were pretty good. I also befriended one of them, and on his FB page are tons of pictures of him and his friends off road racing, jumping 10 feet in the air on their CPI's. Very cool. A few of the guys also do stunt, something which I am very interested in getting involved in. Anyway, it would be cool to check out their club in Taipei sometime...or better yet!

jaame wrote:I am loving the colour scheme n the new kTM 690 SMC-R.
I wonder how much it would cost for a full set of new plastics for the CPI.

I actually bought new plastics over a year ago. There are 12 pieces, and I think they were about 6,000nt. I can't remember, but they could have even been cheaper. I will try to find out exactly how much we paid for them. I will ask my club!
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 11 Apr 2012, 07:48

My buddy just got custom made stickers (replacing fully old one) looks really good, can show you a photo, I could ask the price, I remember it was below 1000 he told me
feropont

4 Recommends(s)

thanks for the pic Feropont

Postby pommes king » 11 Apr 2012, 08:50

Saterday TIS, Sundaymorning mountainroads sounds like a plan.... IF the rusty bitch is rideable. :cactus:
Forumosan avatar
pommes king
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles