CPI SM250 & related banter

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: CPI SM250 & related banter

Postby TaFCoML » 15 Apr 2012, 23:42

Afraid I haven't been down to Michael in a while. Perhaps drop him an email (wlmotor@kimo.com) or give him a call (03-5259377 / 091-124-2825)? Let us know what he's been up to :)
Derp.
Forumosan avatar
TaFCoML
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby dwgcooks » 16 Apr 2012, 13:25

Does anyone know a name of a dealer of CPI in Taichung? I'm having no luck with Google.

I did see on Ruten Ji-wheeler industry But there is no number or address listed in their ads.
dwgcooks
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 16 Apr 2012, 16:17

I infer your spoken Mandarin is lacking, so resort to reverse Chinglish. Call CPI HQ in Dali at (04)2491-0710 and keep saying "Yīngyǔ" until someone comes on in Chinglish. Then say, "Taichung, CPI dealer, where".
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby dwgcooks » 18 Apr 2012, 09:16

I found a dealer in Taichung who has some left over 2011 for 109,000nt and 2012 going for 123,000NT.

I returned the 2008 due to the gearbox issues. I learned that there was a change sometime in 2009 in the gearbox's.

So, how are these newer gearbox's holding up. Anyone with a 2009 or newer having major issues with their gearbox?

Would you trust a "repaired" 2008 gearbox?

Is there any difference between the 2011 and 2012 SM 250?

Thanks for the number to the factory!
dwgcooks

5 Recognized(s)

can't help much

Postby pommes king » 18 Apr 2012, 10:50

dwgcooks wrote:Q's

I have a 2010 and there's a gap between 5 and 6 that I pay attention to. Apart from that, the neutral light is on quite often, in gear or not.
Even if you buy a new one and the quality would be ok - it's still a underpowered bike that requires lots of (not too expensive) mods to give it decent power. If it was me, I'ld look for a second hand DRZ. Or, you buy my decently modded CPI and I look for a DRZ myself. :D
Forumosan avatar
pommes king
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby dwgcooks » 18 Apr 2012, 11:35

I wish I could get a DRZ. I use to race one back in the states.

A couple of issues are for me..License, I don't have the big bike license and whoa look at those prices! I could buy a stock DRZ and a full race supermoto for the prices they want.

I know if I look for a modded CPI the first thing to go are the forks. My goodness are they a sponge!

Most submarines don't dive as well as these forks do under braking.

Ok back to the CPI is it safe to just avoid anything older than 2009?
dwgcooks

5 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 18 Apr 2012, 16:46

dwgcooks wrote:
Ok back to the CPI is it safe to just avoid anything older than 2009?

I have a first gen 2007 with about 20,000 kilometers on the engine. I haven't any engine, tranny or gear problems yet (knock on wood.)

Mine is pretty modded out, but the engine is all stock, except for the bigger aftermarket carb. I don't ride mine that often, but when I do, I thump it pretty hard. Mine has held up! Who knows for how long!! :D
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby pommes king » 18 Apr 2012, 17:19

rk1951 wrote:I thump it pretty hard.

unless you have a hangover and almost no sleep - yet enough to get a speeding ticket! :D
Forumosan avatar
pommes king

Postby jaame » 20 Apr 2012, 23:45

DWGCOOKS! There is a post with photos about it some way back - have a trawl backwards through the thread if you're interested. We kind of accepted that the original first gen bikes had the gearbox problems. They have a large CPI logo in a black circle on the clutch basket. The newer "mk2" bikes have a small, feint grey CPI logo on the clutch basket. I have heard of a few of the 1st generation bikes having gearbox failures, and I have not heard of any of the second gen bikes having that problem. Not all bikes of the first run have had the problem though. As RK points out, his bike is first gen with a lot of KMs and it is still going strong. The other bikes I heard of jammed before 10,000km. I know RK hammers the shit out of it too.

If it were me, I'd simply get a new one. $120,000 isn't a lot of money if you're on a halfway decent salary and/or single, and you get the peace of mind that comes with knowing where it's been. That peace of mind is worth $50k if you ask me. Hell, I bought mine when I was supporting myself, my wife and a kid and earning about $80k a month. I haven't regretted it once. The things I love about the CPI are that it's cheap, it handles like a pushbike so you can really mess around on it and act the fool, and also it is safer than a bike with 100+ hp. 19 horse at the wheel sounds shit, and it is, so you're not going to kill yourself so easily on it (unless the gearbox eats itself).

You chaps who already have one, my bike had a problem today. I tried to turn the wheel to back it out of a space and I couldn't turn the bars left. What had happened was the anti-tamper bolts that hold the lock barrel under the top yoke had loosened and one had fallen out. The lock barrel moved down, causing the steering lock to come on. Imagine if it had happened while I was riding... doesn't bear thinking about. I'd advise you to check your bikes. I think the bolts must have simply shaken loose.

Any riding going on this weekend. Its fully pissing down as I type this. RK I know you said you favour Sundays, but I'm really keen to ride down to Hsinchu and have a look at Michael's CPI shop before heading to the mountains. Any time this summer would be good, doesn't have to be this month.

Pommes King, any news on your bike and/or that number plate?

Just remembered, I want to give a very strong positive report back of my Pirelli Sport Demon front tyre. I don't have a lot of experience with tyres and I've never been on the track. I've also only tried the standard Maxxis tyres and this Pirelli. Anyway, for a novice like me, the new tyre is clearly better than the standard tyre. It feels a bit more stable on the throttle and also steers quickly. What I can't explain is how much confidence it gives me to lay the bike over. Confidence I never had on the original tyre. I don't know if it would be described as feedback or just grip, but really I feel much safer and more confident hitting corners faster and at a greater angle of lean and I haven't changed anything else. I definitely recommend the tyre, at least for novice road riders like myself.
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 21 Apr 2012, 02:44

PIrelli's entry level tires are good, and they go up from there to among the best. They probably have one of the top three tires in every category, enduro, MX, street, sports, sport-touring, dual-sport, etc. Stateside, among many riders, you'll only see Maxxis (or a Cheng Shin) on dirt bikes (MX) where riders may chew up a tire in a single weekend. Selected for price, not performance.
maunaloa

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles