CPI SM250 & related banter

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: CPI SM250 & related banter

Postby jaame » 21 Apr 2012, 18:46

I had the broken spoke changed just now.

At that shop there was a CPI in for repairs. It had received a lot of treatment. USD forks, new brake setup F&R, exhaust that looks the same as yours RK, new carb, new rear shock, side stand, tyres (BT090 front, michelin pilot sporty rear), 10mm spacer on the drivetrain, new sprockets, quick actioon throttle etc. I was going to have a go on it but the mechaninc said the carb keeps sticking open. He told me to take a metal hook thing to pull the squirty part of the carb back out if it sticks open. Fuck that! He said it makes "hun do ma li". I'd like to give it a shot.

I see Frando are making hy-mech clutch conversions for the CPI now. Anyone else keen to try one?

Pommes King tells me his bike is not ready yet, so I take it tomorrow's ride is off. It's going to piss down anyway.
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 23 Apr 2012, 06:03

CPI SM250 mods

Improved F & R brakes, forks, chain ring spacers to enable a 140 rear, oil cooler, front rain fender, 36mm carbs, rear rack, lots of stuff of interest in this modders' blog.
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 23 Apr 2012, 10:01

maunaloa wrote:CPI SM250 mods

Improved F & R brakes, forks, chain ring spacers to enable a 140 rear, oil cooler, front rain fender, 36mm carbs, rear rack, lots of stuff of interest in this modders' blog.

Wow! your bike looks great!
How do you avoid that clutch lever on the engine side not to get rusty? Mine is half rusty already (2.5 year old bike)
and also my chain start getting rusty spots, do you guys use some special lubricants on it?
feropont
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby maunaloa » 23 Apr 2012, 11:25

The bikes in those links are not mine... but belong to customers of the shop hosting the blog:
金記實業有限公司
Kim Kee Industrial Co., Ltd.
104-91台北市中山區建國北路一段36號

As far as rust.... do you store your bike outdoors? Most bikes, even if ridden in the rain, are slow to rust if they are stored indoors and are dry most of the time. You can also spray parts that aren't involved in cooling the engine with a clear sealer (not WD-40, but a true sealer, like Krylon) to slow corrosion.

I once "cleaned" a bicycle chain with WD-40 without dismounting the chain and forgot to lube the chain. Less than a week later the chain had a thin coat of rust on every link.
maunaloa

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 24 Apr 2012, 08:12

Sunflower oil.

If theres actual rust, rub the SO with aluminium foil. It makes a grey primer-like paste but you can wipe that off if you care about shinyness.

SO alone attracts dust but its very good at stopping corrosion, and it lasts.

Chain-wise, see dedicated thread.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

8 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 30 Apr 2012, 21:33

Pommes have you got your CPI back yet?
This weekend I have to work, but the Saturday after that, I think it's the 12th of May, I think we should do the ride. I propose meet at the track, cruise down to Zhubei to look at the CPI shop, head out to Hengshan, have a bash on the go karts then take that little road over the mts to Baling, heading back on the 7 - 118 route.
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby pommes king » 30 Apr 2012, 22:17

jaame wrote:Pommes have you got your CPI back yet?
Me exhaust arrives tomorrow i heard.
This weekend I have to work,
And RK supposed to race
but the Saturday after that, I think it's the 12th of May, I think we should do the ride. I propose meet at the track, cruise down to Zhubei to look at the CPI shop, head out to Hengshan, have a bash on the go karts then take that little road over the mts to Baling, heading back on the 7 - 118 route.

Sounds like a plan to me!
Forumosan avatar
pommes king
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby feropont » 02 May 2012, 20:57

Went to mountain dirt and gravel off-roads yesterday and now feel I need to make some improvements to my CPI.
- I want to change rear sprocket to 42, but can't find it on ruten anymore.
also spoke to local bike speed shop: MTC, he recommend me to change ehhaust pipe; right after head and if not enough, upgrade carb to CVK36.
He also fixed my idle problem (RPM goes up and down and engine stalls while idling) by changing some small jet for 200 NT.
I remember someone else has this problem.

Give me some tips guys, how to make engine work better and get more HP and torque out of it?

Thank you
feropont

4 Recommends(s)

Postby jaame » 02 May 2012, 22:26

I don't know of a replacement head for the CPI but I'm interested to learn about one. Do you have any info?
Check http://tw.bid.yahoo.com type in CPI and look for the sprocket. I know the seller WMPC has some, that's the bloke in Zhubei.

I think the 36mm carb is quite common now having seen quite a few of them on the internet. That's what I'd like to get but I think the suspension is more important so I'd do that first. I might even do it myself if I can muster the cash somehow.

My CPI wouldn't start yesterday. It was standing in the sun all afternoon. When I finished work I tried to start it and it did start actually, I blipped the throttle a few times, but it died when I went to set off. Then I couldn't start it again. It was turning over but not firing. I'm no mechanic but my dad did teach me a bit of stuff (but not enough!). There was plenty of fuel in the tank, the fuel stop tap was letting fuel through to the filter. The spark plug looked fine and the wire to it wasn't broken where I could see it. I took the tank off and looked for broken wires etc but couldn't find any. I fiddled around with the CDI and rec/rec wires and connectors. Then it started again, ran for about ten seconds and died after a few blips of the throttle like the first time.

I don't know how to diagnose fuel starvation or a faulty spark plug/lead.

It went into a scooter shop, it's still there now and I haven't heard anything about it.

I think it may the something wrong with the carb, possibly the pilot jet that has a blockage, hence why it would rev up but then died from idle. It has also tried to die when pulling away from lights quite a few times in the past couple of months.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Tafcoml, what happened to yours to make you change the carburettor?
jaame

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 02 May 2012, 23:23

I had the same idling problem as you described, seems after replacing jet it works fine, I am not sure what that jet(part number)
feropont

4 Recommends(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles