250cc lightweight motorcycles, not made by CPI

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: 250cc lightweight motorcycles, not made by CPI

Postby rk1951 » 23 Nov 2011, 11:34

sulavaca wrote:How are these SYM T2affairs? Anyone?

I saw on the news recently that they are having engine failures. I have not seen one yet on the road.
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 23 Nov 2011, 13:57

rk1951 wrote:
sulavaca wrote:How are these SYM T2affairs? Anyone?

I saw on the news recently that they are having engine failures. I have not seen one yet on the road.

There's one in the lane where I pick my kid up from the nanny. Its been lying on its side at the side of the road for the last two weeks. I saw some kind of Yamaha white-plate bike yesterday, though. Looked pretty nice. Naked sport-style.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 23 Nov 2011, 17:04

SYM T2. First generation m/c from a Taiwanese mfr. Think 1st gen CPI 250. Me... I would wait until after the factory is flooded at least once. :)
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 04 Dec 2011, 16:06

There was a car show at University of Southern Taiwan (in Tainan) this weekend. (Predictably fairly uninteresting apart from some student projects that everyone ignored, but I bought some sockets to replace ones I'd lost.)

Sym had a T2 on their stand. Its a water-cooled engine, so not "simply" a scaled-up version of the CB/CG125, though perhaps a water-jacket isn't too technically taxing an addition, dunno.

4WIW the minder lad said the engine was developed and built in Taiwan.

I wanted to ask about the reports of engine problems, but my Taiwanette translator wasn't prepared to infict that much facial injury. Of course one couldn't expect a frank answer anyway.

(OT but to alleviate shiny-car boredom a bit, I asked to see the engine on a VW Golf.

I havn't really looked at the engine on many new cars. I'd guess one isn't supposed to.

Consternation!!! Took them so long to find the bonnet release I began to wonder if there was anything inside.

I can report that, although the engine compartment seems rather crowded, oil-filter access is unusually good, (though according to my translator the salesperson didn't know what it was) and they are now putting the battery in a plastic box, which is what I do, though usually too late.)
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

9 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby Rennes » 20 Mar 2012, 18:43

I'm curious, has anyone had a chance to check out the SYM T2?
How's the engine and HP? I wonder how fast they can go. Are all of the FI?

Out of boredom, I looked them up on Ruten, and saw them going for around 135,000 NT. I'm not sure how much they cost new.

If you had 135,000 to spend on a bike, what would you get in Taiwan?

(Don't say the Hornet, because I noticed their prices spiked and are significantly more expensive now, than 6 months ago or so) :)
Rennes
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Durbanite » 20 Mar 2012, 19:24

I looked into those T2 bikes a while ago, couldn't find any news on engine failures anymore, however they had a cut - out issue I think. But not many faults overall.
Brand new they go for$150 000. They push out 25ps, and I think the top speed is around 150km/h, not on gps though... Yes, they have EFI.

They look really good, but couldn't be arsed to spend so much on a bike, thinking about the new CPI sm250.... looks hot... and 40k cheaper. Power is pretty much the same (24ps), difference is weight, Sym T2 - 170 odd kg's, sm250 is 115kg's... Power to weight, SM seems better.
Durbanite
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Rennes » 20 Mar 2012, 20:07

Do you mind sending a link to the CPI. I've heard too many horror stories of the CPI, so I'm not considering it, but would like to check it out for curiosity sake.

I am not into the whole dirtbike look. Is the CPI decent for carrying a passenger? I wonder how the T2 is for that.

25 HP seems pretty decent for a Taiwanese made bike. I guess it's hard to justify spending 150,000 on a new T2 when you can get a Honda Hornet 250 for that much, which has 40 HP...

I personally prefer the Quannon's look over the T1/T2, but since it's a 250cc, maybe it's worth considering.
Rennes

Postby Durbanite » 20 Mar 2012, 20:17

http://www.cpi-motor.com.tw/tw/product/ ... d=1&page=1

This is the link, it does look more off-roady... hehe but I don't care, I like the power and weight on it, besides, replace a few minor things and apparently the issues with CPI disappear, (carb is the main issue from what I have heard, not expensive to replace.)

Dunno about carrying a passenger on the sm, I don't have one, looking at buying one though.
Durbanite
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Rennes » 20 Mar 2012, 20:33

I can't read Chinese.

What is its seat height? It looks fun to play around with, but might not be ideal for long rides, which is something I want to do.

How much do used ones go for?
Rennes

Postby Durbanite » 20 Mar 2012, 20:57

I think the seat height is about 88cm.

Seems like the bike is made for taller people cos I read in a few places that people around 174cm can just touch the ground when sitting on the bike... People have also said that the seat is very uncomfortable for long journeys, but with a bit more padding it will be fine...
Durbanite
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles