Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Great driving roads?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Great driving roads?

Postby Lo Bo To » 16 Dec 2010, 06:14

I'm looking for some great places to take a sports car for a nice drive. i.e. good twists and turns, some nice straightaways, light traffic

I know the especially the latter will be difficult but any suggestions will do. As I stated in another post, I drove up and down the Chiayi-Alishan #18. Don't go near it on the weekends but during the week it's a nice drive. Also, the road up to Rei Li has a great road with 30 or so hairpins along the way that are marked with numbers. And a lot of the turns have quite visible entry and exits (you can see around the turns if there are cars coming).

Anyone know of others (especially in the south) that are a nice drive?
Forumosan avatar
Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Re: Great driving roads?

Postby tommy525 » 16 Dec 2010, 06:38

I thought the East West Cross Island is a great drive, although its split in two now. The section from Fengyuan up the hills to Kukuan i liked too.

The drive from Danshui to Ginshan and then to Keelung (Jilong) and then to Yilan on the coast is a nice drive. So is going from Ginshan up to YMS. 106 is nice to Fulong. Highway 9 is a nice drive from Xindian to Yilan (if the traffic is not too bad, lots of turns, blind mostly tho).

Taiwan has tons of great driving roads !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

591 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby petrarch1603 » 16 Dec 2010, 11:34

Not exactly what the OP is looking for, but Lanyu is a great place to zoom around on a scooter.
"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain." -Mark Twain
petrarch1603
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 16 Dec 2010, 16:22

Strange. You seem to be associating "twisties" with driving pleasure.

Its true I can vaguely remember a similar association, from driving in the Highlands of my home country, but I've been here long enough now to mostly associate "twisties" with oncoming vehicles on "my" side of the road, and consequent rage, contempt, and fear of sudden death.

Have I been here too long, or not long enough?
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

9 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 17 Dec 2010, 10:26

Ducked wrote:Strange. You seem to be associating "twisties" with driving pleasure.

Its true I can vaguely remember a similar association, from driving in the Highlands of my home country, but I've been here long enough now to mostly associate "twisties" with oncoming vehicles on "my" side of the road, and consequent rage, contempt, and fear of sudden death.

Have I been here too long, or not long enough?

"Happiness isn't just around the corner. It is the corner."

OP, Google Maps is your friend here. Put it in hybrid-mode and look for curvy roads in darker areas of the satellite with few other roads sticking out of it. The darker areas typically denote forest. I found a whole lot of lesser-known driving roads this way back around Mt Rainier, Seattle and it should probably also work here.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 17 Dec 2010, 10:34

driving head on into a small blue farm truck is always enjoyable, no matter what the map says will be around the corner. It's Taiwan, mate: simply not a place for fast driving.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

This post was recommended by saddletramp (14 Aug 2011, 16:43)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

199 Recommends(s)
252 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 17 Dec 2010, 10:47

Yes I have met one such blue truck coming head on into me in my lane on one such mountain road. I was seat belt less and went up against the windshield. I could just stop and put my car into neutral. My Cortina went back 12 feet but putting it in neutral may have saved my life.
The car didnt make it but i did. Yeahh !!
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

591 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby superjACK » 17 Dec 2010, 12:02

tommy525 wrote:I thought the East West Cross Island is a great drive, although its split in two now. The section from Fengyuan up the hills to Kukuan i liked too.

The drive from Danshui to Ginshan and then to Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) and then to Yilan on the coast is a nice drive. So is going from Ginshan up to YMS. 106 is nice to Fulong. Highway 9 is a nice drive from Xindian to Yilan (if the traffic is not too bad, lots of turns, blind mostly tho).

Taiwan has tons of great driving roads !

hey tommy525, I'm totally intrigued by your description of this road. since I'm haven't been back to Taiwan in over quarter of a century, care to share that with a google map or google earth map for that matter? oh and btw, I'm a newbie on this forum too. thanks in advance! :)
Forumosan avatar
superjACK
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby tommy525 » 17 Dec 2010, 14:39

Lordy 25 years?? Wow you aint gonna think its even the same place you left !!

I was away for ten years and for days it all felt so foreign , familiar yet foreign to me.

Welcome to the forum by the way. And I actually mentioned several different drives here.

1. East-West Highway used to have several branches. The main one was from Fengyuan (just north of Taichung) to Kukuan ( a very quaint hot spring town) and then onwards to Lishan (midpoint) and then on to Hualian on the east coast. It was a fab drive of about 7 to 8 hours with about 3000 twists and turns and climbing up as high as almost 10,000 feet near lishan. There was another branch from past Lishan (going from west to east) that went up to Hehuanshan (and that part of the road exceeded ten thousand feet if memory serves) and onwards down south. Then there was the unmade road from Lishan down to Luodong that was not hugely scenic but still pretty. Now you can not go from Kukuan further on the road west as that section is GONZO and never coming back in most likelyhood. Destroyed by the 921 quake and later typhoons. And just past Lishan , coming from the east the road stops as well for the same reason. There is local traffic past that beautiful techi dam but not open to the general public it seems. All that area is a super nice drive basically.

2. A simple drive to do living in Taipei is to go up to Danshui and then continue on the north coast highway along the coast to Jinshan and onwards to Keelung (Jilong) and staying on the coast down the PingHai coastal road to Fulong and down on to Yilan and go back to taipei on the number 9 (the killer stretch from chiaoshi I believe up the hills to Xindian). That killer road 9 is very scenic but challenging and is a killer road worthy of its name, so be careful.

3. From Jinshan its also a very nice drive up towards Yangming Shan, stopping at the several simple hotspring places is a treat too. And from YMS itself the road to Beitou is small and scenic, another scenic small mountain road connects to the national palace museum past the EARTH STATIONS or you can just go down the main drag , the YANG TEH DAH TAO>

Iv never done the southern cross island but everyone says its awesome or was.
And the number 7 from Taoyuan to the east coast (the north cross island) is also nice. Iv been on part of it but a landslide blocked me.

Theres tons more.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

591 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby superjACK » 17 Dec 2010, 16:18

tommy525 wrote:Lordy 25 years?? Wow you aint gonna think its even the same place you left !!

I was away for ten years and for days it all felt so foreign , familiar yet foreign to me.

Welcome to the forum by the way. And I actually mentioned several different drives here.

ya hey thanks tommy, it'll be totally weird for me I'm sure, perhaps a complete total culture shock too. I'm looking to spend a good amount of time there, so I'm pretty sure I'll have some time to head up for a drive. I'll definitely refer back to this thread and pick one of those places you've mentioned for a good drive. though i imagine I'll have to really change my driving style once I'm there.. :D
Forumosan avatar
superjACK
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles