How does Taiwanese feel about tattoos?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: How does Taiwanese feel about tattoos?

Postby 914 » 11 May 2012, 14:32

Hey, whats wrong with oldies and jazz? I listen to it. Alsohip hop, but the older stuff. Cant keep up with the newer artists now. Dont even know any songs by lil wayne or chris brown. My previous posts are tongue in cheek, tl. Just think it very very thoroughly before you get one and where. And how comfortable u would be in any circumstance where its out and proud. If you have to hide it on occasion, then you were not 100percent committed to it. For me,i cant wear one shoulder dresses, and i try to cover up at certain beaches/pools, which really defeats the purpose of getting inked.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 11 May 2012, 15:26

914 wrote:Hey, whats wrong with oldies and jazz? I listen to it. Alsohip hop, but the older stuff. Cant keep up with the newer artists now. Dont even know any songs by lil wayne or chris brown. My previous posts are tongue in cheek, tl. Just think it very very thoroughly before you get one and where. And how comfortable u would be in any circumstance where its out and proud. If you have to hide it on occasion, then you were not 100percent committed to it. For me,i cant wear one shoulder dresses, and i try to cover up at certain beaches/pools, which really defeats the purpose of getting inked.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! Assless chaps? If I could even begin to tell you how many times in a business setting I've been unable to wear mine because of that one moment of rashness?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 11 May 2012, 23:33

GuyInTaiwan wrote:I thought people got them to look unique.

Naw, its for 'tang

we are all, each and everyone of us, already wonderful snowflakes
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 12 May 2012, 04:43

PigBloodCake wrote:Ok, I'll bite. If you wanna get a tattoo, get this one:

Looks cool to me :whistle:

Awesome! What's it say? "Beef with broccoli"? :D
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby flike » 12 May 2012, 09:10

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:By the time the younger age turned senior, everyone who believed that tattoos mean gangster will have died off.

True, but yall'll have FAR more issues with the generation following yours than the generations dying out just before you.

I think the tattoo tipping point has been reached, and within the next 5-15 years there will be a HUGE backlash against tattoos. As sandman notes, everybody of a certain age has tats. Cool ain't for the masses; never has been and never will be. Tats're ubiquitous for most Americans age 20-40 (roughly), or nearly so. Come 2042 or so, nursing homes in America will be FILLED with tattooed residents suckin' on O2 and shittin' their Depends. It's just a matter of time before "the next generation" rebels and pronounces tattoos as the style equivalent of a mullet.

... A mullet you can't just cut off, that is. :wink:
"It is a privilege to be the stand-in for Spencer Tracy. Tracy is a fine actor, but he is most important because he understands why it is necessary to take orders from the front office." Louis B. Mayer, 1938 Academy Awards ceremony

"Why do you not sit on my lap when we talk contracts, like my other stars do?" Louis B. Mayer to Luise Rainer, 1937

"His hand always touched my right tit whenever he said the word 'daughter'." Joan Crawford, regarding Louis B. Mayer, 1938
flike
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

23 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 13 May 2012, 02:33

although its fashionable, tattoos still very much mean many things in many circles. gangs as well. they hold more meaning than just pure decoration, it can mean a lot of different things. religion, beliefs etc all that, it can be very spiritual to some. around here people consider tattoo to mean gangster still, but its getting more common with kids too, but they still try and play the "bad ass" role usually. id say i see more gang related tattoos than non in the countryside. there are some REALLY amazing ones, and when I was looking i liked the ones that tended to do the boyz cause they probably get the most practice and they seem very skilled at what they do. I also imagine they dont stick around long if they screw too many up.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 13 May 2012, 10:38

"how do the Taiwanese feel about tattoos?"
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 13 May 2012, 14:39

always did want to have the words MADE IN TAIWAN tattooed on the back of my neck . :D
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
366 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Living in Taiwan