World’s richest countries by 2050?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby fh2000 » 18 Aug 2012, 14:22

Taiwan is #3. If you live long enough in Taiwan, you will see this.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.CNN.com ... =allsearch
fh2000
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recognized(s)

Re: World’s richest countries by 2050?

Postby finley » 18 Aug 2012, 15:19

What a load of ol' bollocks. Some daft economist has simply drawn a straight line on a bunch of old charts and said "that's what's going to happen 40 years from now". There are any number of reasons why Taiwan is likely to fade away into obscurity, not least the fact that it's economy is largely based on fossil-fuel consumption, which is in turn paid for by rich countries which buy Taiwanese exports. If the US is destined to slide, then Taiwan will slide with it. 2050 is also when Taiwan is going to really suffer from today's low birth rate.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

735 Recommends(s)
580 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 18 Aug 2012, 15:20

That means there should still be money in the social net to pay for my retirement! :banana:

No, wait. I don't get a retirement pension.

Never mind.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Phrantique » 18 Aug 2012, 21:44

This was put together by Citibank. They were one of the banks that just about went belly up a few years back because of their 'forward thinking'. So, I wouldn't put money on it. Though, for all the people living in the countries listed as the top 4, I hope it works out for all of you! :)
Forumosan avatar
Phrantique
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby forealz » 19 Aug 2012, 08:38

finley wrote:What a load of ol' bollocks. Some daft economist has simply drawn a straight line on a bunch of old charts and said "that's what's going to happen 40 years from now". There are any number of reasons why Taiwan is likely to fade away into obscurity, not least the fact that it's economy is largely based on fossil-fuel consumption, which is in turn paid for by rich countries which buy Taiwanese exports. If the US is destined to slide, then Taiwan will slide with it. 2050 is also when Taiwan is going to really suffer from today's low birth rate.

maybe they're basing it on china's rise in the world and tagging Taiwan's economy along with it. china will definitely be THE world economic power in 40 years.it's already #2. and asia is expected to be THE biggest economic region in the world. so it makes sense they predict taiwan and other Asian countries will be the richest in the world. also, the u.s. is expected to be the 5th richest in the world (probably on the backs of asia) so it cant be sliding that much.

dont be bitter that your home country didnt make the list. :D
forealz
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

20 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 19 Aug 2012, 09:15

It's not apples vs apples is it. Dumb survey. Rich cities against large countries will obviously have either per capita GDP. Dumb dumb dumb.
Also GDP is affected by all economic activity including transfer payments. So the structure is all wrong to start with.
But yeah Taiwan and most Asian countries should be in okay shape. They do have severe demographic issues at that time though.

Riches don't mean much if your environment is crowded and degraded. It also doesn't mean much unless you look at who holds the riches.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1463 Recommends(s)
546 Recognized(s)

Postby Diomedes » 21 Aug 2012, 12:02

(Congratulations, Taiwan, Citibank analysts think that you’ll make it 2050 without being consumed by China.)

It made me giggle that this was actually written on CNN.com
Diomedes
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

x

Return to Living in Taiwan