Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Su'ao-Hualian Road Closures

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Su'ao-Hualian Road Closures

Postby dulan drift » 29 Oct 2011, 09:01

For anyone thinking of driving down south fron Taipei (or going north to Taipei - though can't think why you would want to do that) this weekend along the east coast - forget it. The Su Hwa highway (no. 9) is closed (for at least a week) due to part of the road collapsing and falling down into the sea way below. Luckily, as far as I am aware, no one was injured. The collapse occured at the 115.8 km mark, which is between Su-Ao and Dong Ao and quite close to where the two buses went off the cliff last year during torrential rainfall from a passing typhoon. In this case though, it wasn't even raining, certainly not heavily, which is a bit disturbing. I do wonder if it was in fact a repaired section from that event last year that gave out.
There is a government website on road closures for Taiwan, but there is no mention of this particular road (the only road between Taipei and Hualian) being closed. Perhaps someone knows of a different site with more complete information in English - it would be handy to know as i use this road often.
Although I am a bit ambivalent about plans for a freeway being built directly to Hualian, I do wonder about the viability of the road as it is. It's basically a deathtrap during heavy rain and pretty dangerous at the best of times with its combination of slow climbing heavily loaded trucks, tourist bus convoys, and then people trying to overtake these vehicles on a winding cliff road with no overtaking lanes.

This post was recommended by Charlie Jack (29 Oct 2011, 11:07)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Re: Road from Su-Ao to Hualian Closed

Postby Dr Spock » 29 Oct 2011, 10:14

Thanks for the information. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dying is something you have no control over. Why waste your life being afraid of it?
Forumosan avatar
Dr Spock
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 29 Oct 2011, 11:27

dulan drift wrote:For anyone thinking of driving down south fron Taipei (or going north to Taipei - though can't think why you would want to do that) this weekend along the east coast - forget it. The Su Hwa highway (no. 9) is closed (for at least a week) due to part of the road collapsing and falling down into the sea way below. Luckily, as far as I am aware, no one was injured. The collapse occured at the 115.8 km mark, which is between Su-Ao and Dong Ao and quite close to where the two buses went off the cliff last year during torrential rainfall from a passing typhoon.

That's right by the little temple. Yeah, it's a very unstable part of the highway. Lots of shoring-up work needs to be done there.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 29 Oct 2011, 12:58

I think a lot of these areas are going to be bypassed with tunnels. They'll probably leave the dangerous sections open for cyclists. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

761 Recognized(s)

Postby dulan drift » 01 Nov 2011, 13:59

Muzha Man wrote:I think a lot of these areas are going to be bypassed with tunnels. They'll probably leave the dangerous sections open for cyclists. :lol:

So is the free way going ahead or is the plan just to improve the road with a few tunnels? Like I said, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, the road as it is is pretty dangerous for what is basically a major arterial road - on the other, it does present a natural barrier to the hordes, though that is really just a selfish argument, i suppose. I have heard that there is opposition from environmentalist to the construction of a tunnel style freeway, though I don't know what their concerns are exactly - I would have thought a tunnel would have a minimum impact on the environment - or is the concern about the pressure that would be put on the environment down south once there is easy access to it?
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 01 Nov 2011, 14:22

Long thread on the Suhua Highway here, might answer some of those q's.

http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=93061&hilit=suhua
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

73 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby dulan drift » 01 Nov 2011, 19:24

Believe the road is open again, though with delays.
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Opening hours for Su Hwa Rd (Su-Ao to Hualian)

Postby dulan drift » 03 Dec 2011, 20:58

The situation on the Su Hwa right now is that it is only open to traffic during certain 2 hour periods as follows:
5.30am-7.30am
11am-1pm
5.30pm-7.30pm

STOP PRESS: Road is now open again 24/7

Info: 039 982 161
(if you call this number the guy now yells before you can even say anything, "Don't Ask! It's open!')
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby dulan drift » 11 Jan 2012, 10:52

Was driving back from Taipei on Sunday night, Jan 8, 2012, but when i got to Su Ao i discovered that the road was closed again due to a serious landslide around the 116km mark (site of one of the major repairs) that had happened that day (around 12 noon). We were eventually allowed to go through around midnight, though i heard it was closed again after that.

You would be well advised to check the tel no above before heading off.
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 11 Jan 2012, 20:01

Just pack lunch, diner, breakfast and a sleeping bag, water ... and pray it's not closed when driving down south along the east coast ... :D
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan