Su'ao-Hualian Road Closures

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Road from Su-Ao to Hualian Closed

Postby dulan drift » 11 Jan 2012, 22:13

Belgian Pie wrote:Just pack lunch, diner, breakfast and a sleeping bag, water ... and pray it's not closed when driving down south along the east coast ... :D

And if it's not closed, then pray that you dont' get swept over the edge of the cliff by a landslide! Should be a very religious trip.
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Road from Su-Ao to Hualian status

Postby dulan drift » 13 May 2012, 22:04

Unpredicted torrential downpour on Sat afternoon (May 12) has closed the Su hwa highway again. Bit of a disappointing 'non-get' by CWB. 500+ ml fell from Nanao to Suao - that's a serious typhoon level of rain (though it wasn't a typhoon). Was on that road when it began and was lucky to get through before it really hit and it was closed - parts of the road were already turning into rivers and tyre-killing rocks were littering the road.
Word this morning when i contacted the info no. was that it was closed today (sun, may 13) around Suao and they would assess it again tomorrow. As such was forced to take the west coast route back - which was interesting as a setting for a kind of apocalyptic wasteland movie at least, especially around Taizhong - wow, talk about an industrial park - you glide above it on the freeway and it stretches as far as you can see across the plains - and those power pylons are amazing - there's a weird almost artistic look to it. The sheer amount of them - I have never seen anything like it - couldn't stop singing 'power to the people' in the car.
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Re: Road from Su-Ao to Hualian status

Postby Mucha Man » 14 May 2012, 01:21

dulan drift wrote:Unpredicted torrential downpour on Sat afternoon (May 12) has closed the Su hwa highway again. Bit of a disappointing 'non-get' by CWB. 500+ ml fell from Nanao to Suao - that's a serious typhoon level of rain (though it wasn't a typhoon). Was on that road when it began and was lucky to get through before it really hit and it was closed - parts of the road were already turning into rivers and tyre-killing rocks were littering the road.
Word this morning when i contacted the info no. was that it was closed today (sun, may 13) around Suao and they would assess it again tomorrow. As such was forced to take the west coast route back - which was interesting as a setting for a kind of apocalyptic wasteland movie at least, especially around Taizhong - wow, talk about an industrial park - you glide above it on the freeway and it stretches as far as you can see across the plains - and those power pylons are amazing - there's a weird almost artistic look to it. The sheer amount of them - I have never seen anything like it - couldn't stop singing 'power to the people' in the car.

It is distopian on the west. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

703 Recognized(s)

Postby dulan drift » 14 May 2012, 21:04

Muzha Man wrote:It is distopian on the west. :lol:

That's the word, exactly. It's like being in Blade Runner.
The other strange thing about that freeway (no.3) is that from Taipei, there is no sign even mentioning Kaohsiung until you see one saying 'Kaohsiung exit 1000m'. It's the same for every major city off that freeway - you would hardly know they exist from the signs for them.

And in case anyone sees a sign saying 'Kanting Next Exit' right near the end of the freeway and wonders if it's a mis-spelling of Kending, and is thinking 'shit, is this where I have to get off if I want go to Kending?', it's not.
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 14 May 2012, 22:02

dulan drift wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:It is distopian on the west. :lol:

That's the word, exactly. It's like being in Blade Runner.
The other strange thing about that freeway (no.3) is that from Taipei, there is no sign even mentioning Kaohsiung until you see one saying 'Kaohsiung exit 1000m'. It's the same for every major city off that freeway - you would hardly know they exist from the signs for them.

And in case anyone sees a sign saying 'Kanting Next Exit' right near the end of the freeway and wonders if it's a mis-spelling of Kending, and is thinking 'shit, is this where I have to get off if I want go to Kending?', it's not.

Hah, you remind me of a drive down that highway years ago when I was not too familiar with the conventions. Yep, at times I wondered if I was even on the right highway as all I saw were signs for other roads, and big signs that looked like they were telling me the road I was on but were in fact just advanced posts.

I also remember getting fucked up by the exit signs after a rest area. I needed to go north and at the last second when the road split north and south the sign was to Nantou (Chinese only) so I of course took the exit not going "Nan" though in fact Nantou was north of where I was. That was a long detour. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

703 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 14 May 2012, 22:09

Yeah, it can bea bit confusing if you don't know the characters as there is a Kanting (崁頂) Village in Pingdong and the freeway turn off is not too far from the end of the #3 which takes you to Kending (墾丁). :)
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby dulan drift » 16 May 2012, 09:51

Su Hwa Rd update: Latest word is that the road will be closed for 10 days (until May 24) - though as we are starting mei yu that could end up being longer.
Forumosan avatar
dulan drift

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 16 May 2012, 12:20

FAK. Working up through Lishan and then down through the gorge is not my idea of a fun trip.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 17 May 2012, 11:08

I was thinking of driving up along the Su-Hwa this very weekend. First time in 18 months, so my timing sucks.
Is that a definite 24-May re-open, or a "24-May but it could be any time"?
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

73 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 17 May 2012, 21:17

Super Hans wrote:FAK. Working up through Lishan and then down through the gorge is not my idea of a fun trip.

Seriously? That is exactly my idea of a great trip.

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

703 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan