Oh my God its the biggest cockroach I've ever seen Please come kill it!!!

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Oh my God its the biggest cockroach I've ever seen Please come kill it!!!

Postby Alesistrata » 09 Nov 2011, 22:12

tommy525 wrote:What i really hate? Are the big roaches that fly and.....invariably fly right into YOUR HAIR.

First time I came across one of these, I happened to be in one of the most vulnerable positions a person can be in, AKA - taking a piss. The damn thing climbed up onto the shelf on the other side of the bathroom, LOOKED at me - and I knew instinctively what it was going to do. Of course, being where I was - I couldn't do a damn thing but try and duck as the god forsaken thing flew straight at my face. As to say, I pretty much fell off the toilet.

Sadistic little bastards!

Until I can find a place that allows me to keep a kitty, I keep a can of raid around.
Alesistrata
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Ryan the third » 09 Nov 2011, 22:21

Tempo Gain wrote:
jdsmith wrote:That's just cruel. You're making her think about it too much. :lol:

:hand: It's honest advice from personal experience. I never screamed so loud or got a shoe off so fast. :)

Checking pants is a good idea too... putting them on and have a big spider bite your foot sucks.
Forumosan avatar
Ryan the third
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr Spock » 09 Nov 2011, 22:27

Alesistrata wrote:First time I came across one of these, I happened to be in one of the most vulnerable positions a person can be in, AKA - taking a piss. The damn thing climbed up onto the shelf on the other side of the bathroom, LOOKED at me - and I knew instinctively what it was going to do. Of course, being where I was - I couldn't do a damn thing but try and duck as the god forsaken thing flew straight at my face. As to say, I pretty much fell off the toilet. Sadistic little bastards! Until I can find a place that allows me to keep a kitty, I keep a can of raid around.

You misunderstand. That roach was offering itself as a live sacrifice. You should have opened your mouth and taken that roach in one swallow. Sometimes you can feel them crawl around your stomach for a few seconds till your acids kill them off but all in all, a free meal.
Dying is something you have no control over. Why waste your life being afraid of it?
Forumosan avatar
Dr Spock
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 09 Nov 2011, 22:47

I wish I hadn't read most of these posts......... :eek:

Where do I get geckos?
Seriously, I have ALWAYS wanted them. I would find them on the hiking trails and squeal in amusement but never wanting to take one out of its habitat. So now I have an excuse.

I want an orange one please :D
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby Gryphon » 09 Nov 2011, 23:06

Lili, normally I'd tell a person to man up and smack that roach. But you're a woman, so I can't say that...
I'd help you if I was your neighbor, but I'm not. At least I can give you some advice from my experience.

Buy some roach traps. Put them near the garbage and near cupboards with canned foods. I was cleaning out my cupboards one day when I discovered not one, not two, but three giant roaches hiding behind some canned goods. At that time I didn't have any roach traps, but I had a Dirt Devil wet/dry vacuum cleaner that I used to suck the roaches into the compartment. But I'm guessing you don't have one of those.

After leaving the roach traps out there for about a few days, you'll start to see some roaches lying on their backs close to where the traps are. If you feel disgusted going near the dead roaches, get a broom and dust pan to clean up the dead roaches.

For more immediate results, get RAID. It works fast! I have two aerosol RAID canisters. One time I saw a roach and I sprayed it with some RAID at about 8" distance for about 2-3 seconds. It died instantly. But the RAID smell took a while to leave the area. I'd advise you to wear a mask if you''re going to do that.

BTW, don't leave coffee grounds lying around. Roaches love that stuff (and dog food).

Try not to think about that roach. Otherwise you'll have problems going to sleep.
Gryphon

10 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 09 Nov 2011, 23:28

People eat cicadas, they're supposed to be a lot like shrimp. I bet a farm raised roach wouldn't be all that different. My father-in-law used to talk about barbecuing them back in the war when food was short, said they were pretty good
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

253 Recommends(s)
262 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 09 Nov 2011, 23:40

Gryphon wrote:Lili, normally I'd tell a person to man up and smack that roach. But you're a woman, so I can't say that...

Damn straight. :thumbsup:
BTW, don't leave coffee grounds lying around. Roaches love that stuff (and dog food).

More reason to go to Starbucks.

Try not to think about that roach. Otherwise you'll have problems going to sleep.

I couldnt sleep the rest of the night. I'm staying home tonight, bug bombing the room tomorrow and spending the night at my co-Teacher's apt.

Where do I find geckos? Pet store?
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby sam_wong » 09 Nov 2011, 23:46

Some facts most people dont know about cockroach.
Cockroach can live without food for maybe one year.
If you dont make a mess with food and crums laying about, the cockroach will eat paper instead. Or even a cardboard box.
So dont try to starve a cockroach. It wont work. You have to kill it, or get a gekko to eat it.
sam_wong
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

28 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 09 Nov 2011, 23:46

Dr Spock wrote:You misunderstand. That roach was offering itself as a live sacrifice. You should have opened your mouth and taken that roach in one swallow. Sometimes you can feel them crawl around your stomach for a few seconds till your acids kill them off but all in all, a free meal.

I bet Lili's roach could hide in your belly button.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

636 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 09 Nov 2011, 23:50

Lili wrote:Where do I find geckos? Pet store?

I honestly have no idea. I ran a search in Chinese and found a bunch of people who just caught them and kept them in shoeboxes, but what you want is wild, hunting geckos living in the nooks and crannies of your apartment (not too many though, because then you need to deal with gecko poo). Like I said, I'll look for them when I'm looking for an apartment, and no geckos + dead cockroaches = no deal!

You might be able to catch a few outside and let them out in your apartment (or on your balcony/stairwell?). They seem to sell food for geckos so you can probably buy them in a petshop, but I'm not sure how good they'd be at cockroach hunting if you had a petshop gecko (maybe if you left the lid off the cage so it can wander?)

The Chinese for gecko is 'bi1hu2'. Or 'bi1hu4' or 'bi4hu2', I can never remember XD (I'm sure someone will be along with the right tones soon.)

gman wrote:I'm assumming the people that eat roaches cook them? Not that I'm anxious to try.

I heard a story about a Canadian in Yilan who just caught them from the house, kept them in a jar and munched on them alive. Apparently it smells disgusting. The image is rather gross to me, too.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan