Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby PostMaster » 20 Dec 2011, 13:08

The Chinese real estate bubble is popping...prices for new apartments being slashed 30%-50% in Beijing and Shanghai.

Has this started in Taiwan too?

Actual examples would be helpful. E.g. place, seen how long ago, discounts, prices, etc.
PostMaster
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby *monkey* » 20 Dec 2011, 14:02

Not yet. When the property speculators start throwing themselves off highrise buildings, then you know the time has come.
I have a nice bottle of wine and a cigar saved for that day.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard

This post was recommended by crystaleye (20 Dec 2011, 18:35)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby robert » 20 Dec 2011, 14:54

PostMaster wrote:The Chinese real estate bubble is popping...prices for new apartments being slashed 30%-50% in Beijing and Shanghai.

Source?
robert
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby PostMaster » 20 Dec 2011, 15:19

robert wrote:
PostMaster wrote:The Chinese real estate bubble is popping...prices for new apartments being slashed 30%-50% in Beijing and Shanghai.

Source?

http://www.businessinsider.com/foreign- ... sh-2011-12

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-1 ... awaii.html
PostMaster
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Jefferson » 20 Dec 2011, 21:13

People have been talking about a bubble in Taipei for 10 years. With rents so cheap and salaries so low in comparison to apartment values, it is surprising that the run has lasted this long. I think the "long play" for those who own multiple properties has always been to hold out until private residences are open to Chinese buyers. In the meanwhile, speculators are paying mortgages by renting out flats. In any case, for now prices remain where they are, more or less. How long that will last is anyone's guess.

Hah hah just noticed this was my first post in nearly 3 years.
Forumosan avatar
Jefferson
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby PostMaster » 20 Dec 2011, 21:51

Jefferson wrote:People have been talking about a bubble in Taipei for 10 years. With rents so cheap and salaries so low in comparison to apartment values, it is surprising that the run has lasted this long. I think the "long play" for those who own multiple properties has always been to hold out until private residences are open to Chinese buyers. In the meanwhile, speculators are paying mortgages by renting out flats. In any case, for now prices remain where they are, more or less. How long that will last is anyone's guess.

That may have been the case, but will Chinese buyers be that keen to invest in a "foreign" country after suffering a huge real estate collapse in their local market? My opinion is definitely not. Once bitten, twice shy. I guess only time will tell though. 2012 is certainly going to be an interesting year.

Thanks for the post.
PostMaster
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 20 Dec 2011, 22:50

I spurred a different, yet related discussion with a question about the cost for real estate: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=105763
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 21 Dec 2011, 10:15

PostMaster wrote:
Jefferson wrote:People have been talking about a bubble in Taipei for 10 years. With rents so cheap and salaries so low in comparison to apartment values, it is surprising that the run has lasted this long. I think the "long play" for those who own multiple properties has always been to hold out until private residences are open to Chinese buyers. In the meanwhile, speculators are paying mortgages by renting out flats. In any case, for now prices remain where they are, more or less. How long that will last is anyone's guess.

That may have been the case, but will Chinese buyers be that keen to invest in a "foreign" country after suffering a huge real estate collapse in their local market? My opinion is definitely not. Once bitten, twice shy. I guess only time will tell though. 2012 is certainly going to be an interesting year.

Thanks for the post.

Hi Jefferson long time no see around here. The problem will not only be if they are keen to invest (who wants to invest in a falling market and the DPP don't want all these people getting in the back door and changing politics here), the main problem is they will have no money to invest here. This is a mute point because the market is already open to Chinese investors anyway, they just haven't shown much interest. If they want to invest they can buy a house in HK, Australia, Canada or the US and get residency visas for them and their families. That's what the rats have been doing over there, especially government officials and their compradres.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1545 Recommends(s)
566 Recognized(s)

Postby Jefferson » 21 Dec 2011, 12:09

I had thought commercial property was open but not residential property. Is the market completely open at this point?

Speaking of Hong Kong, according to the UN, out of the 38 most advanced countries/territories, HK has the highest Gini coefficient (measure of income inequality). I imagine that could in part be due to real estate related income. (Irrelevant, yet interesting fact in its own right: The USA is #3.)
Forumosan avatar
Jefferson

Postby creztor » 21 Dec 2011, 12:29

Real estate will drop in price in the future. No, I don't have a source but do some reading and you'll see that this ponzi/cheap credit game that lasted up until now cannot go on forever. Deleveraging is coming.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan