Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby GuyInTaiwan » 06 Feb 2012, 17:07

MM: I don't think I claimed it was all Taipei drivers causing the trouble here. The locals here are awful drivers. I have no doubt that they're worse than Taipei drivers. Never the less, no one is waxing poetic about how Taidong City is rapidly becoming the Amsterdam of Asia. Everyone knows these guys are a bunch of bumpkins. I was saying that the tourists who come here are often dickheads. Not all, but enough. Also, Taoyuan and Xin Taibei are not exactly brilliant for driving. I lived in Taoyuan for a few years and used to regularly travel to Taipei by various means of transport. Absolute circus. I was back up there recently and it hadn't really changed.

I'm not buying it entirely with the MRT. Getting on or off normal trains is always fun, even in Taipei. Okay, maybe the people who can't queue and can't let passengers alight before shoving their way on are all visitors to Taipei. Can these people not transfer the skill of lining up for the MRT to lining up for the normal train?

Also, regarding education levels, I'm not buying that either. Everyone here has to do a driving test. The driving test contains both a written and practical part and they know it's both dangerous and illegal to run red lights and so on. If they don't, then they don't pass. The driving test is flawed, certainly, but at some level they learn that some driving manoeuvres are just bloody stupid. Besides which, it's just common bloody sense. That seems to be the thing lacking.
And you coming in to scold us all like some kind of sour-puss kindie assistant who favors olive cardigans and lemon drinks without sugar. -- Muzha Man

One sometimes gets the impression that the mere words "Socialism" and "Communism" draw towards them with magnetic force every fruit-juice drinker, nudist, sandal-wearer, sex-maniac, Quaker, "Nature Cure" quack, pacifist, and feminist in England. -- George Orwell
GuyInTaiwan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: 10 Jun 2008, 23:01
341 Recommends(s)
273 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby Mucha Man » 06 Feb 2012, 17:22

Alright, you're not buying. But I'm still selling if anyone else is interested. :)
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18988
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
884 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby GuyInTaiwan » 06 Feb 2012, 19:19

Yeah, but is there a bubble?
And you coming in to scold us all like some kind of sour-puss kindie assistant who favors olive cardigans and lemon drinks without sugar. -- Muzha Man

One sometimes gets the impression that the mere words "Socialism" and "Communism" draw towards them with magnetic force every fruit-juice drinker, nudist, sandal-wearer, sex-maniac, Quaker, "Nature Cure" quack, pacifist, and feminist in England. -- George Orwell
GuyInTaiwan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: 10 Jun 2008, 23:01
341 Recommends(s)
273 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby llary » 06 Feb 2012, 19:32

Psst.. I heard you had some paradigms need shiftin?
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: 28 Feb 2005, 03:33
29 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby Icon » 07 Feb 2012, 15:58

Muzha Man wrote:Alright, you're not buying. But I'm still selling if anyone else is interested. :)


In the past, I would have jumped on the chance to buy a place like in Bitan like at lighting speed, but I am not so sure now. It has the advantage of all those places to hike and walk the dogs and such, plus a couple of supermarkets and such. And it is the limit where the pet shop/milk will deliver.

But I feel in general the economy is unstable and so bank loans, so I do not feel the safety of buying now. I harbor no illusions of prices going down anytime soon, but I definetively do not feel as sure of buying right away as before.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15579
Joined: 09 Feb 2006, 18:03
Location: Xindian
787 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby headhonchoII » 07 Feb 2012, 16:53

I'd say stick it out for a couple of years Icon and keep saving money, then evaluate again. Some of these bubbles can go on for a long time, but if you buy at the peak of one it would hurt.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12886
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei
1828 Recommends(s)
655 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby bismarck » 07 Feb 2012, 23:24

headhonchoII wrote:I'd say stick it out for a couple of years Icon and keep saving money, then evaluate again. Some of these bubbles can go on for a long time, but if you buy at the peak of one it would hurt.

Yep, that's pretty much what I've been thinking. But I rent a house in a very good neighbourhood in Anping, Tainan that the old guy only wants 3 million and change for. So I'm pondering. The downside is it will need a few 100k in renovations (mainly closets, kitchen and one bathroom).
Image
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Image
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11605
Joined: 07 Jan 2005, 04:44
Location: Tainan City 台彎, 台南
150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby tomthorne » 07 Feb 2012, 23:28

bismarck wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:I'd say stick it out for a couple of years Icon and keep saving money, then evaluate again. Some of these bubbles can go on for a long time, but if you buy at the peak of one it would hurt.

Yep, that's pretty much what I've been thinking. But I rent a house in a very good neighbourhood in Anping, Tainan that the old guy only wants 3 million and change for. So I'm pondering. The downside is it will need a few 100k in renovations (mainly closets, kitchen and one bathroom).


Jeesh, even in the worst case scenario you're never going to lose that much. I usually recommend against buying in Taiwan, but in this case I think I would.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
 
Posts: 4561
Joined: 20 Jun 2007, 22:55
Location: NanKan
217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby bismarck » 08 Feb 2012, 00:09

tomthorne wrote:
bismarck wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:I'd say stick it out for a couple of years Icon and keep saving money, then evaluate again. Some of these bubbles can go on for a long time, but if you buy at the peak of one it would hurt.

Yep, that's pretty much what I've been thinking. But I rent a house in a very good neighbourhood in Anping, Tainan that the old guy only wants 3 million and change for. So I'm pondering. The downside is it will need a few 100k in renovations (mainly closets, kitchen and one bathroom).


Jeesh, even in the worst case scenario you're never going to lose that much. I usually recommend against buying in Taiwan, but in this case I think I would.

Yep, looks good if you put it that way. Currently just waiting for the ID card thing to come through, and then I'll go chat with the banks and see what they say.
Image
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Image
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11605
Joined: 07 Jan 2005, 04:44
Location: Tainan City 台彎, 台南
150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)



Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby Omniloquacious » 08 Feb 2012, 15:10

bismarck wrote:
tomthorne wrote:
bismarck wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:I'd say stick it out for a couple of years Icon and keep saving money, then evaluate again. Some of these bubbles can go on for a long time, but if you buy at the peak of one it would hurt.

Yep, that's pretty much what I've been thinking. But I rent a house in a very good neighbourhood in Anping, Tainan that the old guy only wants 3 million and change for. So I'm pondering. The downside is it will need a few 100k in renovations (mainly closets, kitchen and one bathroom).


Jeesh, even in the worst case scenario you're never going to lose that much. I usually recommend against buying in Taiwan, but in this case I think I would.

Yep, looks good if you put it that way. Currently just waiting for the ID card thing to come through, and then I'll go chat with the banks and see what they say.


At current interest rates, if you could get a loan for the whole purchase price, you'd be paying only around NT$14,000 a month to pay it off over 20 years.

And now that you're no longer a foreigner, getting a loan should be a synch.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5659
Joined: 24 Sep 2002, 14:15
Location: The 鳥不生蛋狗不拉屎 wasteland of Linkou
69 Recommends(s)
209 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Living in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: nonredneck, Surf Punk and 5 visitors

This most exciting breakthrough provides convincing evidence that the buckyball has, as I long suspected, existed since time immemorial in the dark recesses of our galaxy -- SIR HARRY KROTO, who shared the 1996 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the discovery of "buckyballs", commenting on the discovery of fullerites in space