Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby bismarck » 08 Feb 2012, 23:32

Omniloquacious wrote:At current interest rates, if you could get a loan for the whole purchase price, you'd be paying only around NT$14,000 a month to pay it off over 20 years.

And now that you're no longer a foreigner, getting a loan should be a synch.

Waiting for July, mate. That's when I can get my ID. Should be all good then.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby cyborg_ninja » 09 Feb 2012, 00:58

headhonchoII wrote:Don't the construction companies work with banks to offer lower interest deals/sweeteners, might have been what happened there? But interest rates are really very low in Taiwan anyway. Which is precisely the reason why property prices have increased so much. It's all about the cheap money.

Blame the central bank on the money supply. Taiwan has a deflation of .8% a year.
cyborg_ninja
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Staatsbankrott » 09 Feb 2012, 01:05

headhonchoII wrote:Don't the construction companies work with banks to offer lower interest deals/sweeteners, might have been what happened there? But interest rates are really very low in Taiwan anyway. Which is precisely the reason why property prices have increased so much. It's all about the cheap money.

Hi my englisch is not that good, but I would say that the house prices are so high because banks owning them and if they listing them high it looks nice in their balance sheets. Even if somebody take debt and buying it, the house belongs to the bank until it´s paid off.

If I would buy a house here, I would do it like the real estate agents. I would conjure me a shadow in the face like they do and put signs everywhere in the streets with my phone number on it, like " I´m looking for a house in this area / price up to 3 000 000NT / 5 rooms / 50 pings " and I guess you will get a lot of phone calls from private people and companies. Taiwanese people like to double the prices, but not with me.

And because of rising prices, I think house prices here will drop in long term because of the demographic. Many buildings are empty and less couples are getting kids, means in 20 more years you will have more houses because they will keep going build houses to stimulate the dead local economy and less people who will buy a house later.

I also planned to buy a house but I thought about it. A Strong NT$ means high housing prices. So I put my money into USD first at 28.85 per USD and wait until Taiwan facing the truth. Average Dollar price was always 32/33 best was at 34/35.

3 000 000NTD / 29.5 = 101 500 USD x 33 = 3 350 000 NTD @ droping house prices.

To me, Taiwans economy outlook is not good and they have to import everything. Sooner or later the NTD will follow the rules.
Staatsbankrott
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby *monkey* » 09 Feb 2012, 09:46

Staatsbankrott wrote:
Hi my englisch is not that good, but I would say that the house prices are so high because banks owning them and if they listing them high it looks nice in their balance sheets. Even if somebody take debt and buying it, the house belongs to the bank until it´s paid off.

Actually, a bank doesn't own a mortgaged house and the value of such a house does not appear on a bank's balance sheet. In Taiwan, there is no way for a bank to directly take ownership of a mortgaged house unless the home owner agrees to transfer the title of the property to avoid foreclosure (a procedure called deed in lieu). This procedure allows the homeowner to hand over the keys and walk away from their debt.

In the case of a foreclosure, the auction is executed by a court, and it is the court that sets the auction price for the house. The court then distributes the proceeds from the house sale in order of precedence - taxes and court costs first, and then bank claims. If there's any money left in the pot at the end of the proceeding, it goes to the former home owner.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby Kea » 01 Apr 2012, 23:35

Just wondering if anyone has any idea the cost to build an apartment building. Let's say the land is roughly 200-250 pings and you wanted to build 2 blocks (or anything) on that with landscaping, what does that typically cost construction companies. Further, how would they structure their cost/investment to get the best payoff-units built etc.

ideas:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... cqELH1EGjY
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/singapor ... rnhill.htm
http://www.newcondo.sg/91-marshall
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 01 Apr 2012, 23:51

bismarck wrote:
Omniloquacious wrote:At current interest rates, if you could get a loan for the whole purchase price, you'd be paying only around NT$14,000 a month to pay it off over 20 years.

And now that you're no longer a foreigner, getting a loan should be a synch.

Waiting for July, mate. That's when I can get my ID. Should be all good then.

Oooooo.....you'll be a full blown Taiwanese in July. Congrats Bismarck :thumbsup:

Let me know what your starting alphabet is (mine is F).
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 02 Apr 2012, 00:45

Just wondering if anyone has any idea the cost to build an apartment building. Let's say the land is roughly 200-250 pings and you wanted to build 2 blocks (or anything) on that with landscaping, what does that typically cost construction companies. Further, how would they structure their cost/investment to get the best payoff-units built etc.

It's not a lot, especially if they're experienced and can manage the logistics well. Most building companies here seem to consider it worthwhile to go ahead if they can pre-sell 1/5th of the units, so I guess that gives you some idea. A big part of the cost of the building is the land it stands on.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

926 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

Real Estate Much Cheaper in the Future?

Postby headhonchoII » 02 Apr 2012, 08:23

Tigerman wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:I thought in these cases the old tenants got a new apartment in the rebuilt buildings?

In many cases, it is the owners, rather than the tenants, who get a new apartment (or two). In some cases, the owners (if they are living in the old place) are also given a generous stipend for rent of a temporary place while the new building is being constructed. I suppose it depends somewhat on the value of the land at the particular location and who owns the property there.

Muzha Man wrote:I personally know of several incidents where residents have rejected a renewal proposal.

I think, but cannot cite the law, that now, if 70% of the owners agree to a renewal project, the minority 30% cannot prevent such project.

Anyone know for certain?

Predictably one or two families kick up a stink about their crappy gongyu getting demolished and the Taipei government has to review it's policies, this after all the neighbors already agreed to redevelopment. But where will we go? We couldn't possibly live in luxury apartment in a modern city and get well compensated for our inconvenience . No we need to live in our ancestral 40 year old tenement building.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1833 Recommends(s)
658 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 02 Apr 2012, 10:34

Strangely enough, the curent stink is being raised because some tenants say that the units they rent now give them more income than whatever the city/developers give them in the future (???). Hence, an elderly 80 years old livelihood is threatened. Plus one thing is demolishing for transportation proyects -say, in Xindian's 14Chang- or razing for a private development -Wang family case.

According to the latest news, it is 3/4 agree, the rest have to go. My area is already in trouble as we have over 50% agreeable, AFAIK.

At one million per ping, everything goes!
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby SillyWilly » 02 Apr 2012, 10:34

Gross rental yields in Taiwan are astonishingly low (at 1.57% vs Hong Kong at 3.23%) and can be a good indicator that real estate prices are fantastically overvalued. The main difference between Taiwan and HK however is that rents keep inflating (at a faster pace than real estate) in HK leading to a higher yield even as the underlying asset bubble grows.

To get Taiwan to the same yield, rents need to double, OR PRICES NEED TO DROP BY 50%. Anyone care to wager which one will happen first? :ponder:

Disclaimer: Gross rental yields for Taiwan are based on country wide data. Obviously I'm not suggesting prices will drop by 50% in Taipei, but by maybe 20%-30%.

Link: http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Asia ... ent-yields
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan