The ABC club is a weird group

Moderator: 914

Forum rules
Welcome to the Overseas Taiwanese Subforum. We hope this is a place where you can post your cross-cultural, east meets west upbringing, Tiger Mama/Dragon Baba issues. We understand that you look full on local on the outside, but have issues that pertain to growing up in a non-Taiwanese, non-Chinese environment. Confucian obligations and expectations probably apply to you, familial pressure to conform to traditions, etc. We know the drill. So come on in, get some things off your chest, and hopefully you will gain perspective from others who have been there and are going through the same. For other questions and discussions (in particular legal, passport and residency issues,) please continue to post in the relevant forums. Let's keep this for culturally sensitive topics. Thank you very much, and happy posting.

Re: ABCs Suck.

Postby Gryphon » 31 Dec 2011, 20:56

mike029 wrote:When I asked if she would like to hang out outside with everyone and watch the fireworks then go clubbing, she answered in a bitchy tone "Why would I do that?!

Sounds like she thought you were hitting on her (which might explain her response).

mike029 wrote:Wednesday night outside Luxy, all the ABCs are here for CNY and the TAS/TES douchebags are back. I was drinking a Yanjing Beer. I kept getting verbally accosted about how I should be drinking Taiwan Beer from multiple people yelling at me at once. I HATE TAIWAN BEER. I will drink anything besides Taiwan Beer, and I actually like the Yanjing import one here. They kept going off on me about how I shouldn't be drinking beer from Beijing because they are communist and Taiwan Beer is SO AWESOME.

Sounds like they were drunk and they lost the ability to make sound judgments. Generally speaking, I think people who are drunk with a blood alcohol level above a certain percentage tend to act like complete idiots. Don't take it personally, even if their comments were directed at you. They were drunk when they spoke. And if they were sober, they might have thought twice before speaking such inane comments.
Gryphon
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

31 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 31 Dec 2011, 21:12

Gryphon wrote:
mike029 wrote:When I asked if she would like to hang out outside with everyone and watch the fireworks then go clubbing, she answered in a bitchy tone "Why would I do that?!

Sounds like she thought you were hitting on her (which might explain her response).

mike029 wrote:Wednesday night outside Luxy, all the ABCs are here for CNY and the TAS/TES douchebags are back. I was drinking a Yanjing Beer. I kept getting verbally accosted about how I should be drinking Taiwan Beer from multiple people yelling at me at once. I HATE TAIWAN BEER. I will drink anything besides Taiwan Beer, and I actually like the Yanjing import one here. They kept going off on me about how I shouldn't be drinking beer from Beijing because they are communist and Taiwan Beer is SO AWESOME.

Sounds like they were drunk and they lost the ability to make sound judgments. Generally speaking, I think people who are drunk with a blood alcohol level above a certain percentage tend to act like complete idiots. Don't take it personally, even if their comments were directed at you. They were drunk when they spoke. And if they were sober, they might have thought twice before speaking such inane comments.

Are you perchance an ABC? :eh:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper

People are stupid everywhere, but there's something childlike and adorable about Taiwanese stupidity. - rowland
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1054 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

Postby Gryphon » 31 Dec 2011, 21:24

jimipresley wrote:
Gryphon wrote:

Are you perchance an ABC? :eh:

Are you hinting that my comment was inane? :)
Gryphon

31 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 31 Dec 2011, 22:58

antarcticbeech wrote:I prefer the ones that suck.

I's got'ta know: spit or swallow? :whistle:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 01 Jan 2012, 00:15

pgdaddy1 wrote:All this bitching makes me happy I am not a teenager/ early 20's anymore. :)

Happy New Year to you all there on the 'Wan, as only Tommy seems to call it. :bow: And to you there in the Bay Area, Tommy.

Happy NEW YEAR to you and all you guys over there, where I do believe it IS 2012 already now on Taiwan. Still 2011 here tho in the bay area.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

624 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 01 Jan 2012, 16:22

Gryphon wrote:

Yeah, I was hitting on her when discussing plans to watch fireworks with a group of friends. If she thought I was hitting on her then she's even more of a bitch. Her reaction was more to the tune of "I'm not gonna stand outside on the street with those poor people that can't get into this amazing club"...which is literally next door to 101 so I have no idea how anyone could enjoy the fireworks from there...

Gryphon wrote:

Drinking definitely gives you loose lips, but those thoughts had to exist somewhere before they came out of the person's mouth. This is a typical problem with ABCs whose parents are from Taiwan. They get brainwashed into the TW independence thing by their parents (not intentionally, but that's because TW is all they know about China (Greater China) besides what their parents tell them, and this island is their heritage). They get really defensive of TW, even when they have absolutely no connection to the place except that their parents were born here. For a lot of them, TW is a special place because the only time they ever spend here is on vacation or CNY or something, this place only holds good memories for them. They're here on their parents dime and have an aunt or uncle they can always call for help or get them a job/apartment/whatever. A lot of them that start to live here after a while can't take it anymore and go back to the US. I've noticed the ABC club is on a constant rotation here.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 01 Jan 2012, 16:26

I think you should narrow down the target of your diatribe to something like "immature, self-important" ABCs.

You'll end up with the same percentage of the total population of ABCs as you will with any other group of people.
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

149 Recommends(s)
170 Recognized(s)

Re: The ABC club is a weird group

Postby antarcticbeech » 01 Jan 2012, 16:56

Why doesn't the OP just get a new social life? I don't know anyone in the 'ABC club'.
X

This post was recommended by tommy525 (01 Jan 2012, 18:11)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

169 Recommends(s)
172 Recognized(s)

Postby Guy Dudebro » 01 Jan 2012, 17:18

mike029 wrote:I have never met more arrogant people in my life than ABCs in Taiwan (well...besides Brits). I hate how they storm places like Luxy and refuse to be friends with anyone who isn't an ABC. God forbid you ask an ABC friend to go to a different bar besides Marquee, Myst, Luxy, Spark, Primo or some other NT$400 a drink bar. They have such a sense of entitlement like they were born in the west and are back here to take over. Most of them are rich, spoiled fuckups at home and their parents sent them here. Their parents moved to the US and made very good lives for themselves (which is hard for a first generation immigrant in the US), then they spoiled the hell out of their kids. They firmly believe they should automatically get a management position in any field JUST because they're ABC. It's strange, the ABC club is a weird group. They all know each other, and they always talk SO MUCH SHIT to me about their friends like I actually know anyone. All ABC girls are named Jessica. All ABC guys are named David. How many friggin David Chen's are there?!

</rant>

Wow, you have this sub-group really figured out. Are you here on a grant doing a PhD in Social Anthropology?

In your time here you have befriended so many, yet have not been able to befriend any because they are too stuck up, but you everything about their collective backgrounds, family life, social structure, spending habits, interactions and even child-naming processes.

I am truly impressed.

What's more you have been so unbiased in your conclusions, not letting any personal feelings or frustrations interfere. Nor do you harbor any grudges towards them.

I also like the fact that you recognize that maybe they hang out together, because that is in large part what they did in the US. Maybe they act different than ROC nationals because they are indeed from a different culture. Shocking that they look so similar to ROC nationals, yet could be so different.

What is best about your well thought out, fact filled posts is the fact that you show no hatred towards wealthy or privileged people, and harbor zero resentment towards anyone who may live a more lavish lifestyle than yourself, because in a metropolitan area of near 7M people, it would seem shocking that people of means may wish to spend upwards of $100 covers on a night like NYE rather than drink outside of a 7-Eleven on one of the colder nights of the year.

Thanks for the great post, and please link me to your blog if you have one.

Good luck on the PhD!
Forumosan avatar
Guy Dudebro
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 01 Jan 2012, 17:26

Yea but, should they be made to shop at Carrefour?
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.

This post was recommended by Tigerman (03 Jan 2012, 13:15)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Overseas Taiwanese