2012 Costco thread

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: 2012 Costco thread

Postby Dragonbones » 22 Jun 2012, 20:38

Hamletintaiwan wrote:The cheese says cheese but is analogue cheese. Non of it has ever been inside a cow.

:roll: Costco has perfectly fine real cheeses, unlike many local supermarkets.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby k.k. » 23 Jun 2012, 13:50

Dragonbones wrote:
Hamletintaiwan wrote:The cheese says cheese but is analogue cheese. Non of it has ever been inside a cow.

:roll: Costco has perfectly fine real cheeses, unlike many local supermarkets.

I'll second that. Nothing wrong with the cheese at Costco.

And this idea of suing Costco because you don't want to pay for a membership renewal (if it's due) and you've already shopped for things in the store and are at the counter? Good lord...you've got to be kidding...
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
"Drinks for the House!"

30 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby AmoyMama » 23 Jun 2012, 14:33

Nothing wrong with the ground beef, either. It's totally normal for the outside of the meat to be red and the inside to be tinged brown. Look it up. Or ask a butcher. :)
AmoyMama
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

13 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 23 Jun 2012, 22:08

I have no problems with the ground beef either. And I wouldn't complain much since I don't know where I would get it otherwise. I haven't seen the sirloin (350-400NT/kg) lately though (new costco in Kaohsiung). Outstanding value.

I've said it before but if I was in the states I wouldn't go to Costco but there are about a dozen things that I like to buy there that are difficult to find or too expensive in Taiwan. I'm going to start going more often because the Lactaid milk is great (lactose intolerant).

they don't have the 800NT speakers that were talked about before but I bought the 1500NT pair and they are nice. So much better than having the 3 unit model that is sold everywhere in Taiwan.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 24 Jun 2012, 00:13

Hamletintaiwan wrote:You missed the point.
My point is that every day, people show up there doing their shopping as usual, only to find out at the register that their membership card has expired.
The employer will then force them to renew the contract for another year or to leave without the items they have collected in their shopping cards.

I think this is utterly rude and violates consumer rights because the membership card does not indicate an expiration date.

Use an indelible marker to write your expiration date on the card. Or do you just prefer chances to express indignation?
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 24 Jun 2012, 23:16

Just for the record: they do have "one day cards" available, if you have forgotten yours, but are already a paying member. If you get there and discover you forgot your card, then just go to the service counter, ID yourself, and they will give you a piece of paper so you can buy at your leisure.

I think that if you go there twice a year it is not worth to have a membership. Tag along with a friend, and that's it. You drive, they invite you to Costco, perfect match.

I find it hard to keep track of the expiration date of my credit card bonus points, which can be deduced from Costco's member ship or shopping costs. Real pity, I've lost the opportunity to use them twice. they won't remind you of that, you have to ask for it.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 25 Jun 2012, 09:06

Icon wrote:Just for the record: they do have "one day cards" available, if you have forgotten yours, but are already a paying member. If you get there and discover you forgot your card, then just go to the service counter, ID yourself, and they will give you a piece of paper so you can buy at your leisure.

I think that if you go there twice a year it is not worth to have a membership. Tag along with a friend, and that's it. You drive, they invite you to Costco, perfect match.

I find it hard to keep track of the expiration date of my credit card bonus points, which can be deduced from Costco's member ship or shopping costs. Real pity, I've lost the opportunity to use them twice. they won't remind you of that, you have to ask for it.

On the back of my Costco card it says "Member since 06/08". I think that means my membership would expire at the end of June of each year, but I could be off by one month. That gives you a pretty good idea of when to watch out for this expiration problem. Maybe not all cards have this information printed, I don't know.

The reason they don't print the expiration date is because they'd prefer that you use your card for more than one year instead of having to issue new cards every year. This seems reasonable to me.

As far as I know, you can use your accumulated credit card points to pay your membership fee whenever that time comes. You can also use it during September or October of each year, as this is the designated time for using the points.

Like Icon said, if you're only going to Costco twice a year, I would just tag along with a friend. It doesn't seem worth it to pay a large fee for such little use.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Typhun » 26 Jun 2012, 14:13

Frozen strawberries are back!
Typhun
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Shaktipalooza » 26 Jun 2012, 16:42

If you already have a current membership but have forgotten your card, they will write you up a temporary card for your visit. I've done this two or three times. First time when I'd just moved to Taipei and they were able to look up my US membership and hand me a temporary card.

Hamletintaiwan wrote:
ceevee369 wrote:
Hamletintaiwan wrote:Anyhow what are my chances of suing them next time they want to force us into a new membership?
And how to go about it when standing with a full shopping card at the register being asked to pay another year or to leave without the shopping items.

Suing them? You are not being forced to renew your membership. They can suggest it and this can be declined.
As for the second, I know they have cards for a day ( available at their sign-up section upstairs if you go to Neihu)

Can you elaborate on that?
My wife just called them and inquired about that.
They don't have cards for the day.
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 01 Jul 2012, 02:23

Mr He wrote:Speaking of Costco, when does the Taoyuan shop open? Should be soon.

The latest info I could find is at a Costco BBS site here, that says the store is scheduled to open at the end of August.

And here's a membership offer flyer that my friend sent to me.
Learning Chinese is so easy to me that I restart with it every year! — bob_honest
Indicators and mirrors are not just fashion accessories. — tomthorne
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Forumosan avatar
Steve4nLanguage
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

94 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan