Earthquakes -- 2012

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: EARTHQUAKE!

Postby Icon » 19 Apr 2012, 10:45

I was about to grab my cup of coffee when I noticed there were waves in it... :s
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 19 Apr 2012, 10:57

I thought I felt something just then.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

96 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 19 Apr 2012, 11:01

Yep, the old door chain was swinging again.

Has anyone ever actually run out of their apartment in recent years because the shakes were so strong?
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

89 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 19 Apr 2012, 11:06

I've not felt an earthquake at all this year. We're in Tianmu, in a highrise. To the Tianmu-ers, do you feel shaking? Nothing moved in my house at all. My cat didn't even sense it...
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 19 Apr 2012, 11:22

Petrichor wrote:Yep, the old door chain was swinging again.

Has anyone ever actually run out of their apartment in recent years because the shakes were so strong?

Run where, darling? It's even more dangerous out there. In a strong enough quake, pieces of the buildings' facade -not to say air conditioners or lovely publicity signs- can fall on you. And most importantly: run towards which safe area? This is my greatest complain about the lack of parks/open spaces in New Taipei City. At least in 921, we lived in Shi-Da so we spent the night at Da'an Park -which is clearly marked as emergency evacuation area. Try to find one of those beyond Taipei City...

Back in the ol' country, we do not have tall buildings because we've had our capital city destroyed several times by quakes. Our electricity poles have a very neat system, where they bend like palm trees under heavy wind, and spring back, in case of quake. When you go outside, it is cool to see the road doing waves like the sea. Most importantly, we have front and back gardens, and wide open spaces, where people run and gather and stop business for an hour or two, before everyone sprinting home as fast as they can, after exchanging teh obligatory gossip "how did you feel it? where were you? where's the epicenter? etc".

Here in Taiwan is boring as it can be, no one moves, no one talks, they want to keep on working even if the building is tilted, and anyways there is no where to run. The bright side is that they have excellent rescue crews armed with the latest equipment in case they have to dig you out...

In summary, unless the building falls on you, it's business as usual.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby shengou » 19 Apr 2012, 12:54

Icon wrote:Here in Taiwan is boring as it can be, no one moves, no one talks, they want to keep on working even if the building is tilted, and anyways there is no where to run. The bright side is that they have excellent rescue crews armed with the latest equipment in case they have to dig you out...

WHAT? Not what I've seen at all. The few times we've felt earthquakes where I'm at, everyone rushed out onto the street and they were noisy as hell.
shengou
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 19 Apr 2012, 14:07

shengou wrote:
Icon wrote:Here in Taiwan is boring as it can be, no one moves, no one talks, they want to keep on working even if the building is tilted, and anyways there is no where to run. The bright side is that they have excellent rescue crews armed with the latest equipment in case they have to dig you out...

WHAT? Not what I've seen at all. The few times we've felt earthquakes where I'm at, everyone rushed out onto the street and they were noisy as hell.

You must be surrounded by foreigners or 921/311 survivors.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby 500CBFan » 19 Apr 2012, 14:33

Hm, totally missed this one. Let's see, at that time I had just finished my mid-term exam at Tamkang and was probably walking down the stairs of the Business Bldg. with the teacher. Never felt a thing, which is really unusual for me. I guess mid-term exams make everything kinda do that to me.
Forumosan avatar
500CBFan
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 19 Apr 2012, 15:29

I didn't register that one, but I was wondering what woke me up.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby shengou » 19 Apr 2012, 17:20

Icon wrote:
You must be surrounded by foreigners or 921/311 survivors.

How about neither.
shengou

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan