Cheapest solution (VPN?) to being able to watch Netflix in TW

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Cheapest solution (VPN?) to being able to watch Netflix in TW

Postby pengyou » 14 Mar 2012, 07:34

Is their $49 a year option good enough to do what I want to do? I used to get their $69 a year option when i lived in China, but in Taiwan, all I need to do is be able to watch movies and tv.

Indiana wrote:
jackalope wrote:I want to know the answer to this as well. I looked at the website for Overplay, it's $9.95 a month. A little bit pricy for me, though I'd pay that much if I had to.

Check out WiTopia:

https://www.witopia.net/

It was recommended to me by a number of friends here in the UAE; we all use it and have been thrilled with the service itself as well as the company's customer service.
pengyou
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Toufen, Miaoli....yeah, basically in the middle of nowhere :)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby A Gnome Pit » 21 Apr 2012, 11:39

Hey mike THANKS for your offer and sorry for the late reply I have been sooo busy at work

BUT is all this stuff legal?? I mean I have enough troubles already LOL
A Gnome Pit
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 21 Apr 2012, 17:20

pengyou wrote:Is their $49 a year option good enough to do what I want to do? I used to get their $69 a year option when i lived in China, but in Taiwan, all I need to do is be able to watch movies and tv.

Indiana wrote:
jackalope wrote:I want to know the answer to this as well. I looked at the website for Overplay, it's $9.95 a month. A little bit pricy for me, though I'd pay that much if I had to.

Check out WiTopia:

https://www.witopia.net/

It was recommended to me by a number of friends here in the UAE; we all use it and have been thrilled with the service itself as well as the company's customer service.

I'm not sure which option would be best...probably the cheaper version would be fine, but I would ask the company directly to make sure.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 21 Apr 2012, 18:51

Here's what I did the for the VPN. I checked ddWRT's website, picked up a cheap DLink router at Zhongguancun (at the time I was in Beijing), installed ddWRT on it, opened VPN service on it, mailed it to my parents, and told my dad to replace the router with that one. Now I have a free VPN and have had one for the last 4 years.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby pengyou » 22 Apr 2012, 06:17

Are you speaking English? :lol: What is ddWRT?

mike029 wrote:Here's what I did the for the VPN. I checked ddWRT's website, picked up a cheap DLink router at Zhongguancun (at the time I was in Beijing), installed ddWRT on it, opened VPN service on it, mailed it to my parents, and told my dad to replace the router with that one. Now I have a free VPN and have had one for the last 4 years.
pengyou

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Toufen, Miaoli....yeah, basically in the middle of nowhere :)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 22 Apr 2012, 16:41

pengyou wrote:Are you speaking English? :lol: What is ddWRT?

mike029 wrote:Here's what I did the for the VPN. I checked ddWRT's website, picked up a cheap DLink router at Zhongguancun (at the time I was in Beijing), installed ddWRT on it, opened VPN service on it, mailed it to my parents, and told my dad to replace the router with that one. Now I have a free VPN and have had one for the last 4 years.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

It's an alternative firmware to install on routers. Far superior to the stock ones.
mike029

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby djm409 » 06 May 2012, 07:33

There are a number of free vpn downloads available if you search. I personally don't use them, so I'm not sure about the reliable or best ones.
djm409
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Spyderpig » 08 Oct 2012, 20:12

i use ibvpn its like $20 for 4 months... i heard hidemyasspro works well too. Lot of vpn sites like ibvpn lets you try for free.
Spyderpig
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

In Taiwan since: 26 Sep 2012

Postby melysnl » 08 Oct 2012, 22:22

I use ultrasurf.us. It's free and works pretty well(especially for free).
melysnl
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

8 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 27 Jun 2012

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Living in Taiwan