Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby mike029 » 15 Apr 2012, 16:02

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Well, you know, you could try saying something educating in a Taiwanese way rather than a long-winded American way. Cardinal rule is talk Chinese how you speak English - short and to the point. And take offence at malice, but not ignorance.


I agree, but dealing with my classmates everyday phrasing everything as "I know it's not your fault, but..." "mafan ni..." "maybe next time we all can improve by" gets extremely tiring. It's also completely useless. I'm tired of making other people feel better about themselves when they are in the wrong. Unfortunately, my frustration sends me into translating a sarcastic English dig. I appreciate when people are direct and honest with me. I can at least can respect that person.

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:And yes, your line will probably be cut because it's not a sound bite, it probably sounded angry And it's a little hard to follow in Chinese.


It was angry sounding because I was angry. That was such an asinine statement from someone who is supposed to be so worldly.

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Honestly, it sounds like that's not a show I'd be interested in either. 大學生了沒 is pretty much the epitome of inane television, i can only ever watch segments of it. I'm not surprised they were asking bout politics in that manner; can you imagine the extent of political knowledge of the average university student here?


Actually the politics one was 沈春華 我們秀. Green bitch trying to cut all the blue people off. :lol: Anytime anyone said Ma she would immediately say "可是你沒有投票權!"

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:But not all shows are like that. Maybe just the ones for CTV? Everything I've done with TTV has been quite professional.


TTV probably has a higher standard than CTV? It's still garbage all around, though.

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Btw I will be watching that horrible show this week to see if it's as awful as you say :D

It's the one that's about foreign food, so if you don't immediately see that's the topic, turn it off immediately to save your brain cells.
My Chinese is real life isn't that choppy, I had a script sitting on my desk I had to read and it was so unnatural. I hate talking about food. Not to mention they asked me what the food is (that I had not seen before) and I actually had no clue how to say "Pork spare ribs" in Chinese so I just guessed 豬肋排. She asked me what the sauce was...I had NO CLUE. If you have a dish of ranch dressing, can you easily tell if it's ranch, mayo, or white paint? Then I had to talk about something like long2 yan2 mu4 or something and how it was cooked for 3 hours in an oven. I didn't say it immediately so one of the students started talking. I was just like 'F this' and gave up. Then how to eat it. YOU JUST PICK IT UP AND EAT IT. Tao zi asked me how to cook it at home so I started to explain you need to marinate it, etc. but they just kept talking over me so I didn't see the point. I just stopped talking altogether. Then she goes "Mike, 你有甚麼題目?" I was so confused because I had no idea what the hell she was talking about. Why would I have a question? I had a 'wahh-wahhh' sound and then I was informed I'm supposed to ask the students a trivia question. I pulled one out of my ass and had to give them the answer so they could get it right. I was told the second person would answer correctly, and the first would give a funny answer. Granted, I'm sure it will all turn out ok after they edit it up.

Apparently 500 is the standard rate per 'section' of that show.

BTW A-Ken seems like a really nice guy, and Tao Zi is 公主病.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 442
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 16:07
3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)



Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby headhonchoII » 15 Apr 2012, 17:33

500 NTD for 5 or 6 hours, why don't you ask for bananas next time?

A-ken can be funny but he did a retarded ad about Steve Jobs that I hated. I would take off his take off of Steve jobs and foreigners speaking Chinese if I ever bumped into him.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei
1782 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby shengou » 15 Apr 2012, 18:01

mike029 wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Actually the politics one was 沈春華 我們秀. Green bitch trying to cut all the blue people off. :lol: Anytime anyone said Ma she would immediately say "可是你沒有投票權!".



I found the episode online. The host was unbearably arrogant. It pissed me off to keep hearing her say that the foreigners have no voting rights. But man, I'll be honest with you. You came across pretty douchey as well. You remind me of the foreigners who try to dictate who we should choose in America and you are also very out of sync with Taiwanese opinions. I don't know how you expect Taiwanese to react when you say you want Taiwan to unite with China. You didn't even soften it at first by saying, you think it's in the best interest of Taiwan to unite. You just said "I want Taiwan to unite with China." It's one thing to support Ma Ying Jeou, it's another to tell the Taiwanese people that you want them to unite. You don't seem to fully appreciate history, and seem 100% focused on economy, freedom be damned.
shengou
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 20:36
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby Belgian Pie » 15 Apr 2012, 18:12

shengou wrote:
mike029 wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Actually the politics one was 沈春華 我們秀. Green bitch trying to cut all the blue people off. :lol: Anytime anyone said Ma she would immediately say "可是你沒有投票權!".



I found the episode online. The host was unbearably arrogant. It pissed me off to keep hearing her say that the foreigners have no voting rights. But man, I'll be honest with you. You came across pretty douchey as well. You remind me of the foreigners who try to dictate who we should choose in America and you are also very out of sync with Taiwanese opinions. I don't know how you expect Taiwanese to react when you say you want Taiwan to reunite with China. You didn't even soften it at first by saying, you think it's in the best interest of Taiwan to reunite. You just said "I want Taiwan to reunite with China." It's one thing to support Ma Ying Jeou, it's another to tell the Taiwanese people that you want them to reunite. You don't seem to fully appreciate history, and seem 100% focused on economy, freedom be damned.


Before you go on a TV show telling people they need to 'reunite' you should learn some history ... Taiwan as it is today has never been united with China, so they can't reunite ... it's one thing to be able to speak Chinese, it's another one losing your dignity over some political stuff, and maybe you should first go deeper in the KMT's past and learn. And before you laud Ma, maybe you should talk to people that studied with him in the US.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11215
Joined: 31 Oct 2004, 19:39
Location: High ground
2 Recommends(s)
83 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby shengou » 15 Apr 2012, 18:23

Belgian Pie wrote:
shengou wrote:
mike029 wrote:Before you go on a TV show telling people they need to 'reunite' you should learn some history ... Taiwan as it is today has never been united with China, so they can't reunite ... it's one thing to be able to speak Chinese, it's another one losing your dignity over some political stuff, and maybe you should first go deeper in the KMT's past and learn. And before you laud Ma, maybe you should talk to people that studied with him in the US.


I don't know who you're directing this to, but before mike gets blasted for saying reunited, he said 統一, which I should have translated to unite or unify. I edited my original post. Whether Mike views it as unite or reunite, I can't say.
shengou
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 20:36
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby mike029 » 15 Apr 2012, 19:19

Belgian Pie wrote:
shengou wrote:
mike029 wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Actually the politics one was 沈春華 我們秀. Green bitch trying to cut all the blue people off. :lol: Anytime anyone said Ma she would immediately say "可是你沒有投票權!".



I found the episode online. The host was unbearably arrogant. It pissed me off to keep hearing her say that the foreigners have no voting rights. But man, I'll be honest with you. You came across pretty douchey as well. You remind me of the foreigners who try to dictate who we should choose in America and you are also very out of sync with Taiwanese opinions. I don't know how you expect Taiwanese to react when you say you want Taiwan to reunite with China. You didn't even soften it at first by saying, you think it's in the best interest of Taiwan to reunite. You just said "I want Taiwan to reunite with China." It's one thing to support Ma Ying Jeou, it's another to tell the Taiwanese people that you want them to reunite. You don't seem to fully appreciate history, and seem 100% focused on economy, freedom be damned.


Before you go on a TV show telling people they need to 'reunite' you should learn some history ... Taiwan as it is today has never been united with China, so they can't reunite ... it's one thing to be able to speak Chinese, it's another one losing your dignity over some political stuff, and maybe you should first go deeper in the KMT's past and learn. And before you laud Ma, maybe you should talk to people that studied with him in the US.


1. I think Taiwanese people are 井底之蛙 as I said in the beginning and I really have very little respect for their misguided political opinions. Taiwan can't just be a country because it "wants to be", and for the DPP to hold onto this sentiment is detrimental to the growth of Taiwan in every way. I did actually preface the remark about unification, they just cut it because it's a better sound bite, just to be clear.
2. I did say 統一, meaning 'unify' not 're-unify' because I know they haven't been "China" for quite some time. However, the reality of the situation is that becoming an S.A.R. would just end all conflict. I didn't think that needed explanation because it's fairly obvious. Puerto Rico is a good example of this. They effectively became the American equivalent of an SAR and have been better off since then. They retain their identity while benefitting from tight cooperation with the US. People bitched in the beginning but most are all for it now.
3. I said I support Song Chuyu because of unification and cooperation with PRC, but would vote for Ma because Song is just gonna split the vote like he did in 2000 and get DPP elected. Having Ma is better than Tsai for me.
4. As someone who has lived in Mainland before coming here, my experiences are a bit more varied than others that have only lived here (and like those on the show that got here 2 months ago, picked up some cheap TW girlfriend and thinks TW is the bomb go independence movement China is such a bully). Yeah, Mainlanders can't vote, but I've never been a big fan of Democracy anyway: let stupid, unqualified people make decisions that affect everyone after they are tricked by a charismatic leader. Yeah, in Mainland you can't go on Facebook and they check your IDs everywhere (which, admittedly sucks), but as far as society goes, Mainlanders are far more open and forward thinking than Taiwanese are. Taiwanese people are extremely stuck up and believe they are the good China, when anyone with a brain knows they got lucky in the 70's and 80's with Mainland opening up, they took the US seed money and built factories in Mainland China and made bank. It's like whenever you tell a Taiwanese person you don't like something about TW, their immediate defense is "well, in Mainland China...". Ok, that's great, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't suck here sometimes, too. Just because they do something only marginally better than Mainland China sometimes doesn't mean that it's right or correct. Talk to any Taiwanese about how they mistreat 外勞, and the answer will be "in Mainland China their factories mistreat the workers all the time, Taiwan treats it's 外勞 factory workers so much better than Mainland". NEWSFLASH: Who owns the Mainland factories? TAIWANESE!
5. I am a very direct person, and lots of people think I'm an asshole because I don't sugar coat what I say because I don't care about making other people feel useful or happy and raise their self esteem. Their ability or inability to accept criticisms is hardly my problem. I appreciate all comments and criticisms directed towards me and take them all seriously. When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. In this case with the TV show, they edited me up to be the most 'controversial' as possible.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 442
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 16:07
3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby shengou » 15 Apr 2012, 21:35

I'm not going to argue about some of your points, because our philosophy's are too different, so it would just be a waste of time.

But I will address some parts.

Taiwan doesn't have to justify being a country, because it already is. I could turn your statement on its head and say that China can't claim Taiwan just because it wants it. China's the one that won't accept reality. They're trying to bitch and moan and use rhetoric to trick the world into thinking Taiwan isn't independent. China is the instigator, not Taiwan.

I actually used to agree with you about Taiwan unifying with China. I lived in Taiwan when I was little, then I moved back to America. My dad was a KMT sympathist, but up until college, I didn't pay attention to Taiwan's politics or history. Then in college, I studied Chinese and went to China for a semester. I, like you, was enamored with the Chinese system (of course, I still thought there were faults.) I even defended China on the Tibet issue. Then I researched Taiwan's history, and became a full-blown greenie and took off my rose-colored glasses. China's system is great for the people who aren't being oppressed. But when you actually see what happens to the people who get fucked over, it's impossible to continue supporting it, unless you have a severe lack of empathy.
shengou
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 20:36
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby PigBloodCake » 16 Apr 2012, 11:56

mike029 wrote:Actually the politics one was 沈春華 我們秀. Green bitch trying to cut all the blue people off. :lol: Anytime anyone said Ma she would immediately say "可是你沒有投票權!"


Huh? She's in blue camp. She used to be the main anchor for 中視.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 07 Jun 2011, 16:51
9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby PigBloodCake » 16 Apr 2012, 12:00

Belgian Pie wrote:
shengou wrote:
mike029 wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Actually the politics one was 沈春華 我們秀. Green bitch trying to cut all the blue people off. :lol: Anytime anyone said Ma she would immediately say "可是你沒有投票權!".



I found the episode online. The host was unbearably arrogant. It pissed me off to keep hearing her say that the foreigners have no voting rights. But man, I'll be honest with you. You came across pretty douchey as well. You remind me of the foreigners who try to dictate who we should choose in America and you are also very out of sync with Taiwanese opinions. I don't know how you expect Taiwanese to react when you say you want Taiwan to reunite with China. You didn't even soften it at first by saying, you think it's in the best interest of Taiwan to reunite. You just said "I want Taiwan to reunite with China." It's one thing to support Ma Ying Jeou, it's another to tell the Taiwanese people that you want them to reunite. You don't seem to fully appreciate history, and seem 100% focused on economy, freedom be damned.


Before you go on a TV show telling people they need to 'reunite' you should learn some history ... Taiwan as it is today has never been united with China, so they can't reunite ... it's one thing to be able to speak Chinese, it's another one losing your dignity over some political stuff, and maybe you should first go deeper in the KMT's past and learn. And before you laud Ma, maybe you should talk to people that studied with him in the US.


I think Great Britain should be the 51st (or 52nd...take your pick between that and Puerto Rico) state in the union :eek: :ohreally: :roflmao: :discodance:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 07 Jun 2011, 16:51
9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)



Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby headhonchoII » 16 Apr 2012, 12:03

Why even bother going into politics on these shows. The Taiwanese are not going to listen to a foreigner talking about politics. In fact you can be deported for canvassing for politicians if you are a foreigner.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12768
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei
1782 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Living in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 6 visitors

I think I don't regret a single 'excess' of my responsive youth - I only regret, in my chilled age, certain occasions and possibilities I didn't embrace -- HENRY JAMES