Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Taiwan television shows want to make more money.

Postby Dangergyrl » 23 Apr 2012, 16:58

And my students ask me if I or any other "offworlders" like Taiwan's shows. I tell them very few of us do. You have all covered it in here. I have even watched a few Japanese shows and I can't speak a lick of Japanese but, I find them more interesting, and when the Japanese shows are nonsense, well it's explicitly clear.

It is just weird to me that there just isn't anything (exaggerating) good on local TV. Why? But seems to say a lot about the audience. Maybe everybody is tired and just needs relief. Even my Taiwanese roomate only watches 1 or 2 local shows. She thinks they are dumb.
Is that a rocket in your pants or are you just glad to see me.
Forumosan avatar
Dangergyrl
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 23 Apr 2012, 20:03

That's what it is, people are just tired out and they want a filler between the time they arrive home and the time they go to bed.
There are a few good shows every now and then.

But as I said I do like a few wacky shows here with their random subjects of Mummies from Xinzhuang and around the world (part 1) and then Chinese missiles against Taiwan's missiles (part 2).
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 24 Apr 2012, 13:36

I have to get this out of my system.

I had the TV on channel 52 during lunch time because I wanted to hear the news. I've done this maybe five times this month, too lazy to change the channel. My gawd, my eyes, ears bled. Lost some brain cells too. I don't know what's news and what's gossip anymore on Taiwan TV. Which channel has good, decent solid news without a lot of flashing things or reporters who speak with a good tempo and look professional? What's the obsession with youtube? And obsession with noodles going up by 3 NT! Some bakeries raising prices by 10%! Comparing toilet paper per sheet? WTF?

I'd like to watch some news between 12 and 1. Other than that, we don't watch TV. Everything else is streamed. The cartoons in the morning would be good if they didn't dub the stupid rough-sounding Mandarin over the English.

TV here makes me sad. And mad. They're just so bad.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 24 Apr 2012, 13:45

Well ... realistically, nothing of any import happens in Taiwan anyway. It's one reason I like it here. Hence the obsession with toilet paper and whatnot.

If you want to hear about disasters, wars, and plane crashes, there's always CNN.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

752 Recommends(s)
586 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 24 Apr 2012, 18:12

914 wrote:I have to get this out of my system.

I had the TV on channel 52 during lunch time because I wanted to hear the news. I've done this maybe five times this month, too lazy to change the channel. My gawd, my eyes, ears bled. Lost some brain cells too. I don't know what's news and what's gossip anymore on Taiwan TV. Which channel has good, decent solid news without a lot of flashing things or reporters who speak with a good tempo and look professional? What's the obsession with youtube? And obsession with noodles going up by 3 NT! Some bakeries raising prices by 10%! Comparing toilet paper per sheet? WTF?

I'd like to watch some news between 12 and 1. Other than that, we don't watch TV. Everything else is streamed. The cartoons in the morning would be good if they didn't dub the stupid rough-sounding Mandarin over the English.

TV here makes me sad. And mad. They're just so bad.

http://taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/ ... 03515773/1

My commentary on the news (second letter).
Forumosan avatar
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
59 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 25 Apr 2012, 17:22

Janet gave a talk at MingChuan last night! I didn't go because I was in class at the time but some of my TW classmates snuck out to see her. When they came back I asked them how it went, and they said she spoke in English/Taiwanese mix...mostly English. Ridiculous. They thought it was so cool how she could speak Taiwanese (exact words: 她的台語超厲害喔!), but didn't seem to care at all that she has zero ability in Mandarin. I don't know if that says more about her or them.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 25 Apr 2012, 17:42

mike029 wrote:Janet gave a talk at MingChuan last night! I didn't go because I was in class at the time but some of my TW classmates snuck out to see her. When they came back I asked them how it went, and they said she spoke in English/Taiwanese mix...mostly English. Ridiculous. They thought it was so cool how she could speak Taiwanese (exact words: 她的台語超厲害喔!), but didn't seem to care at all that she has zero ability in Mandarin. I don't know if that says more about her or them.

It says more about you, really. Them grapes must be tasting pretty damn sour right about now, eh? (Should I insert a Wheeeee! Boiiiing! noise now, so you know I've finished?) :lol: :lol: :lol: Dude! You guys are dancing clowns on shitty shows, complaining about someone who's doing pretty OK, from where I'm standing. I recognize her, that's for sure. I wouldn't know you or that tsukinyou person from Adam or Eve.

This post was recommended by Tomas (25 Apr 2012, 18:04)
Rating: 5.88%
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 25 Apr 2012, 21:06

Oi, leave me out of it. I'm not involved in television or making a career out of it, I've just been on a couple of shows for fun and experience. I'm more interested in the music scene, to be honest.

I can understand why a bunch of Taipei students would be amazed that an ABC can speak Taiwanese (because most of them can't :lol: ), but if Janet's the Janet I'm thinking of then isn't she that really, really rich ABC girl? I think she was on a news show the other day eating toast, if that was her.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 25 Apr 2012, 21:06

Oi, leave me out of it. I'm not involved in television or making a career out of it, I've just been on a couple of shows for fun and experience. I'm more interested in the music scene, to be honest.

I can understand why a bunch of Taipei students would be amazed that an ABC can speak Taiwanese (because most of them can't :lol: ), but if Janet's the Janet I'm thinking of then isn't she that really, really rich ABC girl? I think she was on a news show the other day eating toast, if that was her.
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 07 Aug 2012, 17:51

So it seems a new Janet clone has popped up on the radar. Somehow I got stuck on watching Smart TV on MOD for a few minutes again (it's like a bad German Tomorrow's World channel). Anyway...an ad pops up for an ABC girl...she is Ivy...who is from Texas...who lives in Taiwan...who likes taking pictures...and who is going to present a travel show for Smart TV. And no it wasn't Janet.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan