Litter

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Litter

Postby Steviebike » 15 Apr 2012, 10:05

I'm fed-up with litter. Everywhere I go there is litter. It ranges from lunch boxes to the entire contents of a house. You can go to the nastiest industrial area to the most beautiful scenic areas in Taiwan and find litter. I really don't understand as I thought that the Taiwanese loved this island but, the lack of respect and contempt by dropping litter really upsets me.

Just the other day I was at a small fishing harbour looking at to sea where I could see a small fish in raft working away, one of the fishermen was eating his lunch box and I was admiring what they were doing. I had total respect for them. He then threw his empty lunch box and chopsticks into the sea. How could he do that? A singular act you might say. The week before I saw a man outside his own home throw his disposable wooden chopsticks into the drain, the day before an man threw his empty cigarette pack to the floor and it goes on.

But nobody will say anything - not the Taiwanese way - and they continue to litter and ruin their own environment with trash. Sure they only want to make money and leave the shitty city behind. But it wouldn't be a shitty city or island is people didn't treat it like one. The Taiwanese are quick to respond to criticism on this board, please respond to this.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Re: Litter

Postby Confuzius » 15 Apr 2012, 10:11

Steviebike wrote:I'm fed-up with letter. Everywhere I go there is litter. It ranges from lunch boxes to the entire contents of a house. You can go to the nastiest industrial area to the most beautiful scenic areas in Taiwan and find litter. I really don't understand as I thought that the Taiwanese loved this island but, the lack of respect and contempt by dropping litter really upsets me.

Jut the other day I was at a small fishing harbour looking at to sea where I could see a small fish in raft working away, one of the fishermen was eating his lunch box and I was admiring what they were doing. I had total respect for them. He then threw his empty lunch box and chopsticks into the sea. How could he do that? A singular act you might say. The week before I saw a man outside his own home throw his disposable wooden chopsticks into the drain, the day before an man threw his empty cigarette pack to the floor and it goes on.

But nobody will say anything - not the Taiwanese way - and they continue to litter and ruin their own environment with trash. Sure they only want to make money and leave the shitty city behind. But it wouldn't be a shitty city or island is people didn't treat it like one. The Taiwanese are quick to respond to criticism on this board, please respond to this.

Sounds like the Taiwanese have more in common with Americans than we first suspected!
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 15 Apr 2012, 10:27

I hear your pain, although the island is a lot cleaner than it used to be back in the 90s (believe it or not). Progress has been made.
Was on the Walami Trail a couple of weeks back, and passed several hikers carrying their bagged trash out :thumbsup:.

But there's still a long way to go.

A lot though revolves around the culture of providing everyone with so much unnecessary packaging: things double-boxed, triple-wrapped, take-away, throw-away, plastics, polystyrene. We should take some of the 'pressure' off the consumer, and not give them all this stuff which they then have to dispose off. e.g. if that fisherman-dude had his own metal / wooden bian-dang box, with chopsticks, then there'd be no chucking it in the sea, would there now?
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Litter

Postby headhonchoII » 15 Apr 2012, 11:20

All that stuff is so cheap they don't even think about it. Also disposable chopsticks and plates were promoted by govt policy to reduce hepatitis infection.
Taiwanese are far behind with regards to reusability and cleanliness.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1797 Recommends(s)
644 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 15 Apr 2012, 12:07

It really does pain me. I like it here so much, and when I see so much trash dumped everywhere I go, it breaks my heart and I think what is going on? It's hard to imagine it being worse but it's good to know things are improving. I think the the lack of public bins is not helping and I'm sure a public awareness campaign would help. I just find it so disrespectful, regardless of the area, but more so in the nicest spots this island has to offer.

It's like a plague. I once saw an egret standing on hundreds (literally) of plastic drink cups that had ended up in the river, I felt sorry for the egret, how could he fish there?
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

ORIGINAL POSTER
70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 15 Apr 2012, 16:03

It's the Taiwanese (well, many of them) when-it's-out-of-sight-it's-gone attitude. And the with-the-next-typhoon-it-will-flow-out-to-sea complex. Just watch rivers growing at the next torrential rain, first you see all the bags and boxes flow by, then some shoes and flip-flops, fridges, sofas and washing machines ...
As said, too much packaging and I guess that the majority buy and eat take away food 3 times a day.
Also, many don't really care about Taiwan, they have a job, a roof over the head and food in the box. Why would they care? They were dropped here in the 1940's and coincidentally live here, they would do the same if they'd live on another island. :roll:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
85 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 15 Apr 2012, 16:17

I know, it's sad, and maddening at times because Taiwan has so much potential. Sooo much.

There's so much wealth and flaunting of wealth or talking about wealth, so much time gossiping about the negatives of other nations (thanks to the media), but when it comes to their/our own backyard, it's every man for himself. Education is key. I find it tiring when Taiwanese compare their country to mainland China or other less developed nations. Come on, let's aim higher! It's like when I came home with a 75% in science but hey, dad I did better than Jimmy who only plays Nintendo and doesn't study! My dad would yell at me and say why would you compare yourself to an idiot? Compare yourself to the ones that actually try and do well!

I do hear and see that it's better. The reason I am told there is a lack of public trash cans is because people throw their bags of garbage from home in them because they can't wait for the garbage truck.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Litter

Postby hsinhai78 » 15 Apr 2012, 16:29

What bothers me is that buying snacks from 7-11 or a vendor leaves you with lots of plastic wrapping, yet these places are becoming more and more reluctant to take back the trash they have sold you as part of the product.

Putting up more trash cans will obviously only lead to redneck Amajs with green plate scooters to dump their entire household waste of a whole week there to save some bucks.

Seems like there is no way out of this ...
Forumosan avatar
hsinhai78
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

407 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby Belgian Pie » 15 Apr 2012, 16:37

I do hear and see that it's better. The reason I am told there is a lack of public trash cans is because people throw their bags of garbage from home in them because they can't wait for the garbage truck.

They don't want to wait and socialize with the neighbors ... and it cost money buying official garbage bags ... :doh:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
85 Recognized(s)

Litter

Postby headhonchoII » 15 Apr 2012, 17:20

Believe it or not Taiwan is a lot cleaner litter wise than many nations. You don't tend to see rusty cars and refrigerators dumped in ditches for example. There is not a plastic bag forest on the side of the highway. The pavements and roads are relatively litter free.

Certain areas need major improvement, the beaches being the first place to start. Also riversides should be policed better, no throwing your BBQ and plastic crap everywhere after your picnic.
These things have to be led by Taiwanese peer pressure , a certain level of education should help too.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1797 Recommends(s)
644 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan