Large scale topographic Maps?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby Taiwan_Student » 18 Apr 2012, 15:01

Sorry, I don't quite know where to post this.. It's a tech issue, a teaching issue or a travel issue?
Do they have large scale topographic maps like the ones published by US Geological Survey? The ones that show everything including buildings and fence posts.

I know they did. I saw some years ago in a library in Tainan but I could not follow up on where to buy them or if they are still published. The face of the land has changed quite a bit since the date of the map I saw... (1980), I need them for a little orientation lesson and scavenger hunt I want to do with my class.

Google Earth is no substitute for a map and a compass.
Taiwan_Student
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Re: Large scale topographic Maps?

Postby the bear » 18 Apr 2012, 15:11

Taiwan_Student wrote:Do they have large scale topographic maps like the ones published by US Geological Survey? The ones that show everything including buildings and fence posts.

I know they did. I saw some years ago in a library in Tainan but I could not follow up on where to buy them or if they are still published. The face of the land has changed quite a bit since the date of the map I saw... (1980), I need them for a little orientation lesson and scavenger hunt I want to do with my class.

In 1980 there was no way you could have got hold of topographic maps. For security reasons (i.e. the red menace) topographic maps have only recently become available in Taiwan. Tramping shops are your best bet these days.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

26 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 18 Apr 2012, 16:54

The best topographical maps are the ones produced by or for the military and the emergency services, but much of Taiwan is still not accurately surveyed. Maps available to the general public as far as I know (because I am constantly on the lookout for good maps) are mediocre at best, and as I found out to my cost, dangerously inaccurate at times.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 18 Apr 2012, 17:40

There is also the fact that Taiwan has the fastest eroding mountains in the world, so I have heard and believe from my own eyes.
So up to date maps are very important.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1480 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 19 Apr 2012, 09:56

Taiwan_Student wrote:Sorry, I don't quite know where to post this.. It's a tech issue, a teaching issue or a travel issue?
Do they have large scale topographic maps like the ones published by US Geological Survey? The ones that show everything including buildings and fence posts.

Did you check to see if there is one that is being supported on WMS?
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 19 Apr 2012, 11:19

I'm also struggling to find decent maps for Taiwan. How I miss OS maps of England...
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 19 Apr 2012, 14:01

OS maps really do set the bar. It's difficult to look at another map once you have used one of these.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 19 Apr 2012, 14:06

Super Hans wrote:OS maps really do set the bar. It's difficult to look at another map once you have used one of these.

I even have the whole OS of England 1:50k scale for my Garmin. Sigh. Here I have city navigator... Can find any 7 Eleven in Taiwan though!?
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 19 Apr 2012, 14:47

I'm really not sure of the date.. but yes. The topographic map in my little hands was just like the maps that I played with as a kid romping around NJ. It happened to be in the Tainan University Library behind the train station. Sitting in one of those large dictionary/document stands. That about thirteen years ago.

I did a search of the Taiwan Geological Survey, from the name (US Geological Survey) and got this..

http://gis.mapsofworld.com/government/g ... aiwan.html

NO further details... though. My Chinese is not so good. My guess is, if they still publish, they'd have an index map and a site or address to place an order. Any help please thanks.

I
Taiwan_Student

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 19 Apr 2012, 22:38

I don't have the link, but in the travel section someone posted this type of stuff I think.

one thing to seriously consider. if you are bushwhacking and making your own way, be aware that old maps are wrong. the earthquakes, landslides etc change the landscape enough to make things difficult. my maps are the old US ones form the 50s I think and I find a lot of things have changed. so dont depend too much on them, you may need to skirt back around a mountain after you run into half of it in a river bed. I like to get an idea with them and gogole earth. although it doesnt have elevation lines on google, you can get a good idea of the 3d situation a little better, and its more recent than many maps.

but there is a road atlas book, its a 2 part (north and south). they have elevations and hiking stuff. i forget teh name, the store that I went to said its out of print and will be available new again this year....???? if anyone has an old copy of the south, id like to buy it though. :)
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Living in Taiwan