Big Mistake??

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Big Mistake??

Postby Bobarctor » 21 Apr 2012, 17:12

rolltidemdj wrote:Any comments? Thanks,

I have been living in Beijing for 6 years, moved to Taipei 4 months ago. I have the same job (same company, same position, same everyday stuff and same people I work with) so my opinion is not altered by this point.

I would say everything is better in Taipei from food, people, transportation, environment, culture... and don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved Beijing. Yes, it is less "party" than Beijing and a bit more expensive on lodging, food, transportation and alcohol but you get better stuff.

I would say it is very good to move from Mainland to Taiwan, not the opposite.
Forumosan avatar
Bobarctor
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 21 Apr 2012, 19:06

I thought China was more fun and Seoul is better than Taipei. But Taiwan is basically very easy going in many resepects.
But, I want to know what job the OP was working in the PRC...
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 21 Apr 2012, 20:24

Man the importance of public toilets are often underrated.

When I went over to Europe to live for a few months, I had taken public toilets for granted in Taiwan, and in Europe you have to pay for them. Yes they're clean but at 50 cents (euro) a trip, even for a pee, it gets expensive fast! Blew about 6 or more euros a day just on toilets alone in Amsterdam. It also kept me from wanting to take a really long walk (as in far from where I live) that isn't in the wilderness, because at least in the wilderness you can pee on trees, but if you're say walking around in the middle of Paris or something, then you can't exactly do that.

However in Germany (at least in the non-tourist area) you can go into a cafe and ask nicely, they won't make you pay, most the time. Sure the non paid cafe/bar toilet aren't as clean but it beats walking around in a city full of pay toilets and just because you had a little more water, you end up paying 6 euros because you had to go every 5 minutes.

Pay toilets should be illegal, although it wouldn't be wrong to charge for stuff like toilet papers (which is what they do here) because you can always anticipate that and bring your own.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
81 Recognized(s)

Big Mistake??

Postby headhonchoII » 21 Apr 2012, 21:28

Yeah but Europe is so much more advanced than Taiwan , they get to pay for everything twice LOL.
I have to keep my mouth shut when I go back because every ten minutes I'm asking why do we have to pay for everything that used to be free.
By the next time I'm there they will have invented self cook and self serve restaurants.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1480 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 21 Apr 2012, 21:57

trubadour wrote:I want to know what job the OP was working in the PRC...

the original poster wrote: I am an ESL teacher.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 21 Apr 2012, 23:17

I wouldn't worry about finding a job teaching. I get offered jobs left right and centre, even though I don't much teach anymore. Supply does outstrip demand, but most of the suppliers eventually drown in their own drool, so there is always a job going somewhere.

Blew about 6 or more euros a day just on toilets alone in Amsterdam.

6 Euro's? If you need to pee that much plug yourself into a bag or get some adult nappies. You'd find that much cheaper.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 21 Apr 2012, 23:21

Super Hans wrote:I wouldn't worry about finding a job teaching. I get offered jobs left right and centre, even though I don't much teach anymore. Supply does outstrip demand, but most of the suppliers eventually drown in their own drool, so there is always a job going somewhere.

Blew about 6 or more euros a day just on toilets alone in Amsterdam.

6 Euro's? If you need to pee that much plug yourself into a bag or get some adult nappies. You'd find that much cheaper.

I was carrying about 40kg of luggages with me at the time, and did not know that toilets are that expensive there.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
81 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 22 Apr 2012, 01:23

That's business acumen on a par with them undertakers. There is always a market, no matter what the cost.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby rolltidemdj » 22 Apr 2012, 20:49

Thanks again for all of the replies..Yes I am an ESL teacher. I do want to get into other things eventually. I already have a job lined up there, so that is not going to be a problem. I believe that things are going to be a lot better there..I am looking forward to it and will be there at the end of July. My salary in Shanghai is quite good..but as I have said, it is an expensive city that can be cold/rude and yes..dangerous. I have saved some money..but I like balance in life..quality of life is important.
rolltidemdj
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby cranky laowai » 22 Apr 2012, 22:45

rolltidemdj wrote:I am looking forward to it and will be there at the end of July.

You'd be much better off, tax-wise, if you arrive in Taiwan about a month earlier. Being here for at least half a calendar year is the difference between a low tax rate and 18%.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan