Immersive experience: Kaohsiung vs. Taipei

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Immersive experience: Kaohsiung vs. Taipei

Postby Jialin » 22 Apr 2012, 05:28

I'm coming to teach in Taiwan but still haven't completely decided where I want to be. It's really between Kaohsiung and Taipei. One thing I'm looking for is a place that can offer a more immersive experience in Chinese. I know, ultimately, this is just something you have to create yourself based on how you live... but is there a significant difference between Kaohsiung and Taipei in this regard? I know Taipei is more international and has more foreigners..One thing I don't want to run into is being asked to be an English tutor 10 times a day and people unwilling to speak Mandarin. (I have studied for 8 years, so I can hold a conversation.) Thanks for the insight.
Follow me on Twitter @3lleryy
Forumosan avatar
Jialin
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Re: Immersive experience: Kaohsiung vs. Taipei

Postby Pingdong » 22 Apr 2012, 20:48

k town. if you really want to see culture, hit the "back country" of Taiwan, there is some fascinating stuff that goes on, and sometimes cities just cant get away with it.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 22 Apr 2012, 21:21

The entire country speaks Chinese (or maybe some other local dialects) 100% of the time everywhere you go. Anywhere you go will be immersive.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

5 Recommends(s)
29 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 22 Apr 2012, 21:51

Kaohsiung. Taipei is like a different country to the rest of Taiwan. I remember driving past a temple festival on a bus full of people from Taipei and they all thought it was a political demonstration O.o;;;;;

Plus in Taipei people in general can speak more English.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby jp_mtl » 23 Apr 2012, 02:37

What you should worry about is finding a decent job, regardless of location. As far as immersion is concerned, it doesn't matter where you live. There aren't a lot of foreigners even in Taipei, and very few locals will speak English to you. I lived for a while in Banqiao and it's rare people would speak to me in English. (And they only did because I could not speak a word of Chinese).

Surely finding a good job is far more important?
jp_mtl
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Jialin » 23 Apr 2012, 03:10

jp_mtl wrote:What you should worry about is finding a decent job, regardless of location. As far as immersion is concerned, it doesn't matter where you live. There aren't a lot of foreigners even in Taipei, and very few locals will speak English to you. I lived for a while in Banqiao and it's rare people would speak to me in English. (And they only did because I could not speak a word of Chinese).

Surely finding a good job is far more important?

Yes, finding a job is a top priority. But basically I have to pick a city to find a job in first, no? Once I sign that contract I'm also signing up for 12 months in one city - so I'm trying to think about all the aspects of life in different cities. Since you have to apply "in person" and go around to the schools and do demos, can you really apply for jobs in more than one city at a time?
Follow me on Twitter @3lleryy
Forumosan avatar
Jialin

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 23 Apr 2012, 12:44

tango42 wrote:The entire country speaks Chinese (or maybe some other local dialects) 100% of the time everywhere you go. Anywhere you go will be immersive.

False.
Unless by "some other local dialects" you mean broken English.
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 23 Apr 2012, 12:51

taipei is more fun and has more places to go for day trips. But ktown has much much more sunshine and warm days :)

Adn close to Kending and east coast.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 23 Apr 2012, 14:29

How immersed you will be in either city really depends on you. You can easily seal yourself off or immerse yourself in Taiwanese society depending on whether you choose to associate with other foreigners or not. This will be the same in Kaohsiung or Taipei.

I'm just back from a weekend in Tainan. I was really struck by how much more prevalent Taiwanese is down south than it is up here in Taipei.

In Kaohsiung, you will be living in a more bilingual society (Taiwanese/Mandarin) than Taipei (Mandarin very dominant).

I have the impression that foreigners in places with smaller foreign communities tend to be more caught up in the foreigner life than those in Taipei.

But I think you should question your whole premise.

You may think that 'immersing' yourself in the language and culture and avoiding the company of foreigners will help you learn the language faster. But in my experience, this is an alienating and counterproductive approach. Of course you should not socialize only with foreigners, but you may find that in some of the more bilingual parts of Taipei (Shi-Da/NTU/East Taipei), people are more used to foreigners speaking Mandarin than down south. And you may be able to learn some things from your fellow foreigners who have already learned the language and can understand and answer your questions about the language and the people.

That said, the weather is so much better in K-town and the whole city has a great, laid back vibe. I'd live there in a second if I could find interesting work.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
186 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 23 Apr 2012, 14:55

K-town has bad air pollution. It's a big metropolis. It's also hot as hell most of the year. But I do like the bike paths and what they are doing with the city!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Living in Taiwan