Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Curtains w/o Rails

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Curtains w/o Rails

Postby trubadour » 22 Apr 2012, 19:32

How do I hang some curtain like things with out having rails or the wood backing one needs for rails?
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Re: Curtains w/o Rails

Postby 914 » 23 Apr 2012, 21:53

Curtain rods? You'd need to make sure they can hold the weight of your "curtain like things."
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 24 Apr 2012, 08:05

I haven't got any curtain rods nor, more importantly, the requisite fixtures to fit one.
trubadour

ORIGINAL POSTER
114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Typhun » 24 Apr 2012, 15:14

Velcro can work for hanging relatively light materials. Sew the fuzzy half into the material and choose an appropriate adhesive for cementing the other half onto the wall.
Typhun
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Mucha Man » 25 Apr 2012, 23:06

trubadour wrote:I haven't got any curtain rods nor, more importantly, the requisite fixtures to fit one.

914 is talking about shower curtain like rods: ie, ones that extend out and are held in place by tension.

You can pick these up at any B&Q or Carrefore.

You can also get proper rods there with wood mounts. These can be glued to the wall providing your curtains aren't that heavy.

Velcro glued to the wall and also your curtain (or sewn as suggested above) also will work though your won't be able to open the curtains. I secured my Tibetan carpet to the wall this way.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

773 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 25 Apr 2012, 23:22

Muzha Man wrote:You can pick these up at any B&Q or Carrefore.

There is no longer a B&Q in the 'wan. It's now called 特力屋 without the B&Q moniker.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 25 Apr 2012, 23:45

PigBloodCake wrote:

There is no longer a B&Q in the 'wan. It's now called 特力屋 without the B&Q moniker.

Goddam! I leave Taiwan for 6 weeks and all hell breaks loose.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

773 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 29 Apr 2012, 14:37

thanks for the suggestions - I might be able to jam some in between the window frame :thumbsup:
trubadour

ORIGINAL POSTER
114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 23 May 2012, 21:17

OK, for the record:

I went and asked the dude at reception (or whatever you call it) and to cut a long story short he gave me a special kind of rail that extends telescopically and which can just fit in the available space.

Cheers!
trubadour

ORIGINAL POSTER
114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 24 May 2012, 08:15

PigBloodCake wrote:

This happened a long time ago but it's still referred to B&Q.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

121 Recommends(s)
129 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Living in Taiwan