Taiwan the "fishless" island

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Taiwan the "fishless" island

Postby bigduke6 » 25 Apr 2012, 19:26

I think many other countries have realized the destruction of over fishing and have put laws in place that are enforced.
There is nothing more frustrating then seeing fishing in protected areas under the eyes of the very people tasked to protect these areas. Hence zero enforcement or will to enforce.
Now I just cut traps and lines when I am diving, because no local seems to give a fuck.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 25 Apr 2012, 22:10

bigduke6 wrote:I think many other countries have realized the destruction of over fishing and have put laws in place that are enforced.
There is nothing more frustrating then seeing fishing in protected areas under the eyes of the very people tasked to protect these areas. Hence zero enforcement or will to enforce.
Now I just cut traps and lines when I am diving, because no local seems to give a fuck.

Can you name any? There are massive dead zones all over the world's oceans and little is being done to prevent overfishing with a few exceptions such as Alaska, some areas of the American east coast, Portugal to a degree and a few others. Otherwise it is destructive behavior across the board with lip service to sustainability and protection.

I can hardly point my finger at the Taiwanese when my own home province allowed our wild salmon runs to be destroyed.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 09 May 2012, 16:00

05-09-2012 - Baishawan Bay - North Coast Taiwan

Illegally parked vehicle on the walking path, next to a sign which says no fishing and then fishing right in front of the sign! The girl in the truck was just taking out their portable flower pot type BBQ grill when I was leaving.

S.O.P. for Taiwan!

I saw almost the exact same thing in a fresh water stream in the farmlands around Sanzhi this past Sunday. Three scooters punks, drinking beer, BBQing, smoking, and fishing right next to the sign which said, "No Fishing".
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

176 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 09 May 2012, 17:07

Muzha Man wrote:This is the state of most fisheries around the world. Gone.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1O909B.DTL

"After four years of closures and shortened seasons, our prized California king salmon is back."

If only Taiwan would follow US example :(
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 13 May 2012, 01:29

After Japan finishes off any productive fishing grounds, caught and sold anything that is moving, China can finish off the microbes. Unfortunately, Taiwan has fisherman too. They are left with the algae and we are left with the shit.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

17 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 13 May 2012, 01:36

Why? Why? Why? does the public put up with this massacre of the oceans. This space is mine and yours. Yet, few are ready to kick ass. It's about time that the public, ya! us! stood up and say NO!. You fish here, your boat is going to the bottom. Nobody has the balls. That's the problem. Taiwan is my home and I understand the need to make a living for the fishermen that harvest the algae. Yet, when they go head to head with illegal competitors, it is usually the Taiwan fishermen that have to hunker down and apologise for offending the true culprits. If you enjoy seafood, be sure to write down your memories. That's all your grandchildren will enjoy.
Enigma

17 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 13 May 2012, 22:58

It is weird, isn't it ... but public apathy is hardly new. The entire planet is being munched up and spat out by the industrial machine, and people just shrug and say, yeah, but you have to do that because I want my iPod and my Ikea furniture; plenty of people will aggressively defend the destruction on that basis (check out some of the posts in the Japan's Nuclear Reactors thread). Nobody is educated enough to know that, actually, you DON'T have to do that, and you can still have your iPod and your cheap shitty furniture.

It sometimes seems to me that the entire point of modern education is to fill young heads with untruths so that they will compliantly fill their place in the big Machine and say "well, what ya gonna do?" when they hear about things like this happening.

A few people do make an attempt to aggressively defend the sea (I was reading recently about some S.A. guy who found himself an interesting gig in Sierra Leone chasing off illegal Chinese trawlers) but international law is firmly on the side of those who are buggering it up.

btw, Taiwanese trawlers are often found fishing in places they shouldn't, and doing things they shouldn't. A lot of the shark-fin trade is controlled by Taiwanese "companies". I assume they get away with this more readily than most because Taiwan officially doesn't exist.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

668 Recommends(s)
544 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 14 May 2012, 04:11

farming inland can be done pretty well and pretty clean. they already have everything built here they need only spend some time researching good food sources locally that produce fast and farm them inland. but then you compete for land stuff and its easier to just poach something from a huge big ocean.

short term gain, long term pain. in the end animal systems that run with plant systems, especially aquatic ones, is what is going to be the future of food....unless we pull some cool star trek stuff. common sense will likely come before star trek technology though.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Taiwan the "fishless" island

Postby headhonchoII » 14 May 2012, 07:14

Seemingly most of the fish consumed is already farmed, if course you would need to check the inputs from wild fish feed for farmed fish. Population growth, tech advancement and economic growth have also increases pressure on fish stocks.
The rule of 'open seas' has caused this , with no owner in the human sense there is little incentive for governments to take care of them for their own immediate good.
Hope everybody likes eating jellyfish!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1301 Recommends(s)
503 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 15 May 2012, 03:49

hehe. If anyone has tried eating a jellyfish, I'm sure it was a Taiwanese person. Not sure why im thinking milk tea when you mention that.

I think one of the biggest things they need to get away from with farmed fish is the fish meal from wild stocks...its really pretty illogical. there are other protein sources that give off other byproducts that are just as effective and easier to culture/process.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan