Taiwan the "fishless" island

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby tango42 » 23 Apr 2012, 16:49

If it's fish you're eating (I eat a lot), even at the seafood restaurant next to the port or harbor it's probably not from the waters around Taiwan but imported frozen.

Article (in cooperation with CommonWealth Magazine) in China Post today titled "Not plenty of fish in the sea for Taiwan's struggling seafood industry". Link http://english.cw.com.tw/article.do?action=show&id=13541 (thanks Tiger Mountaineer).

Some quotes:

- "Taiwan's residents consume huge amounts of seafood, but much of it is imported rather than caught in the waters off the island".
- " why is it that fresh fish caught in neighboring waters is more expensive in neighboring waters is more expensive along the Hsinchu coast than in similar seafood restaurants in Taipei? Simply put, because fish in Taiwan is generally not freshly caught".
-- " Hordes of tourists from North and Central Taiwan flood the area on weekends and holidays, hoping to get a taste of the freshest seafood, without realizing that what they may be buying or eating is frozen fish caught in distant waters".
- "Taiwan can be accurately described as a "fishless" island, relying mostly on cultivated fish and catches from distant waters to satisfy the high demand"
- "The problem {according to Acadamia Sinica} is that Taiwan's coasts were destroyed a long time ago by overfishing, habitat destruction, and environmental pollution]".
- "The auction markets in these ports in southern Taiawn now serve more as transaction and distribution centers. Fish are gathered from all over and then sent to traditional markets in Tainan and Kaohsiung, where they are then purchased by customers".
- "The special local flavor that once distinguished each port has completely disappeared".
- According to Fisheries Agency director-general James Sha, "Initially, we depended on fishing vessels to catch fish. Then we relied on fish smuggled in from China. Now we depend on imports"
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
29 Recognized(s)

Re: Taiwan the "fishless" island

Postby bigduke6 » 23 Apr 2012, 17:18

Considering the way local fisherman have gang raped the seas off Taiwan, no wonder.

As a scuba diver, I often see fishing in protected areas, under the noses of the coastguard, who do f^%k all. Zero enforcement of marine protection laws.

You are lucky if you see an anorexic sea horse.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 23 Apr 2012, 17:57

tango42 wrote:Can't seem to locate a digital verson to link.

It's over here at Common Wealth Magazine's site. Sad stuff.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

8 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 23 Apr 2012, 21:26

bigduke6 wrote:Considering the way local fisherman have gang raped the seas off Taiwan, no wonder.

As a scuba diver, I often see fishing in protected areas, under the noses of the coastguard, who do f^%k all. Zero enforcement of marine protection laws.

You are lucky if you see an anorexic sea horse.

Ah, yes, but you're forgetting that they had to do that because of, like, the economy and stuff.

Just imagine, if they hadn't turned Taiwan's entire coastline into a lifeless, stripmined, polluted wasteland, where would Taiwan be today?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

670 Recommends(s)
544 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 23 Apr 2012, 21:46

There are so many fishing boats trawling constantly outside my house- I wonder what they're coming up with?
Also heard that the reason the jelly fish were so bad 2 summers ago was because their natural competitors/predators had been fished to oblivion. Then last summer- no jellyfish- did they put something in the water to kill them all to save tourism?
And how much pollution is there? :(
NonTocareLeTete
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

85 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 23 Apr 2012, 21:51

finley wrote:Just imagine, if they hadn't turned Taiwan's entire coastline into a lifeless, stripmined, polluted wasteland, where would Taiwan be today?

Somewhere fishy. :lol:
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech

142 Recommends(s)
126 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 23 Apr 2012, 22:53

they still take a lot out. squid boats are common too locally. as a matter of fact i can think of a couple uses for all those big ass lights on squid boats that would use less energy, create more profits and also its waste be commercially valuable.

one of my students is from Dongang in PIngdong. his family fishes, and his uncle always goes down near borneo to fish for the big tuna. they were telling me the prices they get for some of these fish....no wonder its worth the trip.

also in restaurants there are LOTS of locally farmed fish. no idea on how much is exported, but surely the domestic aquatic farms must put a dent in the total, no?
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 24 Apr 2012, 00:02

A wee ancedote about over-fishing. I just got sent the pics from the folks I met when hiking up into Er-Zi Shan (fairly remote hot springs). They were staying there for 2 nights, and this photo was taken on the 2nd day. So by that time they had at most 4 more meals left, that's an awful lot of fish for 5 people. There's a fair chance all these are Taiwanese shoveljaw carp, 苦花, an endemic and not that widespread species.

There ain't no way these were all eaten at the springs, and I'm doubting that they would have lasted a day and a half without refrigeration, if they chose to try and carry them out.

It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

69 Recommends(s)
85 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 24 Apr 2012, 09:14

I once flew from Taiwan to Okinawa at night. The sea was full of hundreds if not thousands of squid boats stretching out to the Okinawan islands.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1307 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 25 Apr 2012, 18:39

Some of those boats would be picking up fish from other boats. But this problem is hardly unique to Taiwan. This is the state of most fisheries around the world. Gone. The taieanese are not any worse than most european countries that destroyed there own resources years ago. Or canada with cod and then salmon farms killing all yhe wild stocks. And you can thank Norway for the latter. Almost no one takes care of fish resources.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

637 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Living in Taiwan