Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Returning to the West thread

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby superguavaguy » 24 Apr 2012, 12:09

I know people have written things individually about returning home (to live), but has there ever been an ongoing thread maintained by people who left Taiwan? I'm leaving in a week, and I know some others have left within the last year, so would anyone else be interested in a thread like that?
superguavaguy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Re: Returning to the West thread

Postby 914 » 24 Apr 2012, 13:21

No need to ask for interest. Just start your thread and let others know about your journey back west, and all the bumps and bruises along with the excitement of reverse culture shock!

There have been many success stories posted, and usually after a couple of years, posters get back into their groove outside of Taiwan and check back on F.com once in a while.

Good luck on your journey!

Let me start: where are you going and why? How long have you lived in Taiwan?
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 24 Apr 2012, 13:38

Check the Greater Forumosa thread. A lot of us have returned to the West for better or for worse (usually better for quality of life/kids education, much worse for costs of living etc.)
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!

This post was recommended by honolulu86 (06 May 2012, 02:29)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby superguavaguy » 24 Apr 2012, 23:15

I've been in Asia close to 10 years, spent the last 3+ in Taiwan. I'm moving to Alaska (never been there before, but have family there) and am going back to school. After school I'm planning to live abroad, but not Asia.

I wasn't planning on starting a thread about ME going home, since I've only met 1 or 2 people from Forumosa, and I don't make a habit of writing about my personal life online. I was thinking of the thread being a place for people making that huge transition back home.
superguavaguy

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 25 Apr 2012, 01:51

what countires in asia did you live in? what were the pros and cons of each? which country did you like the best and which the worst?

this can be returning to the west thread.
akikaki1

11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby superguavaguy » 25 Apr 2012, 20:45

I've visited (but not lived in) all of the major Asian countries. My feelings mirror most people's, meaning China and Korea are way at the bottom of the list, Japan is awesome, but everyone works too much, etc.

I'm pretty burnt out on Asia, and especially English teaching in Asia, and I wouldn't recommend anyone with a useful job skill to leave that behind to come here and teach English. If someone didn't have a useful job skill and wanted to come here and teach, I'd tell them to stay in their home country, go back to school, and get one.

This post was recommended by Tiger Mountaineer (30 Apr 2012, 14:36)
Rating: 4%
superguavaguy

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 26 Apr 2012, 12:00

superguavaguy wrote:I'd tell them to stay in their home country, go back to school, and get one.

I've only been in Taiwan a short time, and I can already see the hardest part is to build up the cash to go back. The lower wages and lower costs of living essentially gets one stuck here. Even if you can save 20K NT/month with a good 60K NT/month job, after 2 years, that amounts to 16K US, which will get you a decent car before the US burn rate sets in like higher health insurance, higher rent, higher taxes, etc. The reverse is probably the preferred route. I've met some dual nationals that worked in the US, but moved back to Taiwan to retire with their savings stretching out here better.

The good thing about Alaska is that it has no state income tax, and actually has a state tax credit for its state residents from the oil revenue. I had a friend in Fairbanks which the state paid about 3K just to live there, and that cancels out what he owes on the federal income tax, essentially paying no taxes. I think some of the Middle East countries also pay their citizens from their oil revenues.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 30 Apr 2012, 02:37

I've only been in Taiwan a short time, and I can already see the hardest part is to build up the cash to go back. The lower wages and lower costs of living essentially gets one stuck here.

Well, that kind of thing is always relative. on the flip side me and my wife saved up money here in Taiwan for 6.5 years and bought a house back home in Canada without a mortgage.

Its rarely the size, but how you use it :wink:

All in all, financially Asia is a better place for the standard middle class joe or lower looking to dig their way out of debt and/or save up for a chunk of land somewhere. its also a good place to party like nowhere else, but its probably hard to do both.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Apr 2012, 12:18

It's not a great place for the average Joe to make money when you don't get a pension thrown along with the low salaries and bad exchange rates. It is indeed possible to get stuck in Asia with no way real way of going back. At the same time many western countries are in a heap of trouble now so it's not easy to move back and get a decent job.
You have to be that bit more motivated and independent when living in free wheeling Asia.
Personally I would like to move to continental Europe for a while, go skiing, get some fresh air, catch some art and culture, the four seasons snow and frost. What's the chance of it happening, not too good!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1620 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 30 Apr 2012, 12:29

Taiwan will suck you back in. There is no escape.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan