Returning to the West thread

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Returning to the West thread

Postby tommy525 » 30 Apr 2012, 12:33

Chris wrote:Taiwan will suck you back in. There is no escape.

Unless you WANT to come back. Then paradoxically you may not be able to .
the driveller - tommy525

This post was recommended by akikaki1 (30 Apr 2012, 13:53)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Returning to the West thread

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Apr 2012, 13:20

I don't get it Tommy , you still say you can't come back. You could come back if you really wanted to.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1301 Recommends(s)
503 Recognized(s)

Postby Rabidpie » 30 Apr 2012, 15:48

headhonchoII wrote:I don't get it Tommy , you still say you can't come back. You could come back if you really wanted to.

I guess this is one of those rare cases where Taiwan just doesn't want someone.

But yeah for the rest of us we are all doomed to be sucked or re-sucked into Taiwan at some point if you are not already there.
My anti Drug is Taiwan
Rabidpie
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby superguavaguy » 30 Apr 2012, 21:35

tommy525 wrote:
Chris wrote:Taiwan will suck you back in. There is no escape.

Unless you WANT to come back. Then paradoxically you may not be able to .

I'm actually quite good at doing what I set out to do, so if I ever come back to Taiwan, it won't be to go back to teaching English. To be honest, I'd rather work in a grocery store in the States than come back here and teach English. I'm also sick to death of Taiwanese women, and want nothing more than to date a western woman. I have a good situation waiting for me back home, as well as intelligence and ambition, so I don't think I'll be "sucked back" into working in shitty conditions for a shitty school for a shitty salary all for the privilege of 1) having access to women I'm not interested in, 2) living without the possibility to do anything as simple as get a loan from the bank on my own (making it basically impossible to do something like buy a house or a car without being married to a local and putting everything in her name), 3) not having any kind of retirement plan, and 4) always being a foreigner.
superguavaguy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Living in Taiwan