What are your spending vices?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: What are your spending vices?

Postby Battery9 » 25 Apr 2012, 07:55

I am incredibly lucky. My girlfriend loves the same things I do. Nothing makes her happier than second hand bookstores, dark chocolate or playing those machines that drop out balls with toys inside. No diamonds or expensive clothes or trips to the hair salon:D
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

24 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 25 Apr 2012, 08:48

I would say that if you genuinely need tools for work, then I wouldn't call that a vice - those tools are required to earn you money, no?

Also interesting that a few mentioned annual trips back home - seems quite normal, and hardly excessive!
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 25 Apr 2012, 08:55

Adam_CLO wrote:I would say that if you genuinely need tools for work, then I wouldn't call that a vice - those tools are required to earn you money, no?

Also interesting that a few mentioned annual trips back home - seems quite normal, and hardly excessive!

Yes, but its very easy to stretch the definition for needs vs. the amount of work coming in. For example I really want a big bandsaw, ones with an 18" wheel. However it would cost me quite a bit, more than what I can spare actually and right now its not really necessary because I am not getting any commissions, not to mention I don't even have a stable supply of wood in Taiwan that would make a big bandsaw purchase feasible as I would be able to resaw my own wood rather than buy from Stewmac or LMI and pay expensive shipping.

I buy from LMI because their wood is prepared for instrument making, are at the right moisture content and guaranteed from significant defect. When I buy wood from Taiwan, no one has any idea what the moisture content is, the wood has hidden defects, and while its a LOT cheaper its also riskier. Also I cannot get soundboard materials (nor do I want to) because The last soundboard I got in Taiwan had such horrible runout that I ended up using it in an ukelele.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 25 Apr 2012, 08:59

Adam_CLO wrote:I would say that if you genuinely need tools for work, then I wouldn't call that a vice - those tools are required to earn you money, no?

I agree with that.

For me, camera gear, Photoshop etc are all tools I need to make a living so spending money on them is a necessary expense. Ironically I probably have less photo gear than a lot of people who just do it for a hobby because I only buy what I need rather than what I want. And a fair bit of the stuff I do have I get from a couple of photography companies that I'm sponsored by so it's either free or at cost.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

182 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby John » 25 Apr 2012, 09:34

Books (non fiction)
Dive trips around Asia
UW photography stuff
Tech toys
Forumosan avatar
John
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

27 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 25 Apr 2012, 10:28

headhonchoII wrote:
Since I'm the only wage earner I just don't get pleasure in spending my money anymore!

That is so sad! You should splurge once in a while.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

352 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby dahsiung » 26 Apr 2012, 14:28

Aside from buying a bit too much organic food, my only real spending vice is tea.
High Mountain Wulong
Eastern Beauty
Wulong Red Tea
Charcoal-roasted Tea
Aged Tea
(mmm, getting thirsty)
I usually distribute about half of it to friends and family, or just make up people to send it to just to give me an excuse to buy more.
Other than that, just a couple of new teapots every year. Gotta have a hobby.
** Try to Laugh **
** Try to Smile **
** Try not to Cry **
** And enjoy your life **
*** Oh, and drink some tea ***
dahsiung
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 26 Apr 2012, 15:28

I've always had simple tastes, and I'm fortunate to have married my match.

When I was young, I spent my money on baseball cards, pinball and candy. When I was a little older (12-23) I spent my money on music, concerts and the accoutrements. From 17 to 32 I spent my money on travel.

Recently, I've been spending money on toys. I take my kids to the park whenever we get a chance, and I bring a huge bag of toys for all the park kids to play with. I bring a good snakeboard (currently the most popular toy), badminton for four (half the time it's too windy), about 20 balls including baseballs, softball, three gloves; bubble making kit, half a dozen jump ropes inclusing a very long one, juggling balls, balloons, scooter, hula hoops, big wheels, four Frisbees, little helicopers, yoyos. And then there are the bikes and other big things that we sometimes bring just for variety. These toys have actually been a very cheap investment. I have to continually replace lost or broken crap, but the neighbors really appreciate it, and I get plenty of exercise that's more fun than the gym (or even hiking?).

I wish I could find a pogo stick strong enough for adults (I want to go on it, too). Some stilts would be cool, but I do have concerns about broken kiddie bones and the ensuing lawsuits.
zender

79 Recommends(s)
109 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 26 Apr 2012, 15:43

These days, apps and books. Everything else is bills and kids.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 26 Apr 2012, 17:25

Vices?? Hmmm....
Airconditioning.

I take a lot of pleasure in spending cash on handmade jewlry, fabrics, embroideries, but it is my electricity bill that leaves me with guilt! :lol:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

352 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan