Im starting to lose it with Amex (and other businesses)

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Im starting to lose it with Amex (and other businesses)

Postby dan2006 » 26 Apr 2012, 05:32

PigBloodCake wrote:
dan2006 wrote:
PigBloodCake wrote:
dan2006 wrote:Why does it seem like everything that a "foreigner" tries to do is met with a "your a foreigner" and a manual comes out in how to deal with us or we get fobbed off quickly like a hot potato?

You know I get that too when I first arrived in America and tried to speak Mandarin with my classmates. The nerve of them to laugh at me and tell me to "go back to my own country" :raspberry:

I don't expect locals in Taiwan to speak English and I do speak very basic Mandarin, but I do expect companies that claim to be international firms to at least know enough English to deal with their clients.

In the same way that if I was Spanish in the USA and pushed the option for Spanish to have an actual, live, spanish person answer the phone.

Ah, not in Taiwan. I can't even get a Citibank cc in the 'wan when I returned even though I already have (and still do) a Citi Platinum cc in the States. English? More like Chinglish as they're too cheap to hire someone with your (and *prolly* most others on this board) expectation.

International my foot....try to lower your expectation when you come to the 'wan. Glad you're not into the 'hate' thing (yet?).

Citibank is one of the worst. They didn't want to open an account for me because I could not read the chinese forms which is a requirement for them.

I think your suggestion to lower my expectations might be in order :cool:

But I think this is also a good business opportunity. I should go into these companies in person and offer my services for their English speaking clients. :) But based on my experiences so far, they are not really interested in paying extra to attract people that they don't really want as customers in the first place.
dan2006
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
61 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 26 Apr 2012, 05:37

Tempo Gain wrote:
Confuzius wrote:
The people in the Taiwanese office are probably just too embarrassed to help you out because their English is so poor...they are not trying to be rude, just do not want to feel stupid or make a mistake. The poster who said you get on the phone with your local AMEX office and make them own, and take care of the problem was spot on.

I think it's more likely they don't want to change it over for whatever reason, and this is a convenient excuse to put it off, preferably indefinitely.

I feel this is a cultural aspect (that I don't admire much.) When they don't want to do something, you won't just get a "No" but a constant fobbing off as they hope you just eventually give up. Perhaps a local person would read between the lines and give up.
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
61 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 26 Apr 2012, 05:41

Confuzius wrote:
Tempo Gain wrote:
Confuzius wrote:
The people in the Taiwanese office are probably just too embarrassed to help you out because their English is so poor...they are not trying to be rude, just do not want to feel stupid or make a mistake. The poster who said you get on the phone with your local AMEX office and make them own, and take care of the problem was spot on.

I think it's more likely they don't want to change it over for whatever reason, and this is a convenient excuse to put it off, preferably indefinitely.

Based on what?

I find customer service here (for the most part, of course there exceptions) to be really good-much better than in the US where people seriously don't give a flying fk, here people seem to be as helpful as possible.

Maybe I am just really nice and polite though, so they are in return (of course, minus a few exceptions).

I find your comment about the customer service being good in Taiwan quite interesting.

My take was that typically most places really don't care about customer service. My mind is drawing a blank here but I can't remember one time that I thought "wow, the customer service really stood out here" Everyone offers the same products and services with no attempt to differentiate (sp?) with the same prices.

The only place I remember that gave good service was Costco, and I think that is because it has been drilled into them from HQ.
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
61 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 26 Apr 2012, 09:27

dan2006 wrote:
Icon wrote:How about if you force AmexCanada to do that for you? Tell them you need someone to take responsibility and that AmexTaiwan will not listen to you as a customer unless you have AmexCanada's back. Tell them to write to the AmexTaipei office and set teh record strait: it is not the same to call and say I am customer James III Lottamoney, AmexCanada sent you letter file number YX008976 on my case. Then they have no way out. Moreover, if the issue is that AmexCanada says you can make the transfer but AmexTaiwan says no because riles for foreigners are different, the record wil be set even more straight, and then you can either 1. reapply here 2. use your foreign card 3. pick another bank to have your card here (and yes, that is another can of worms).

Please be assured that while we all complain about the regulations to the banks, their hands are also tied due to the regulations and sanctions impose dto them by the Government. As to schools and their dirty practices, that is another whole story: they can get away with too much due to market.

Another good idea. I called the Canadian department today and the woman promised to look into it and call me back when she finds out what I can do. Maybe they can light a fire under them.

Good luck. I think it is better if they fight the fight for you, and most importantly, YOU can pressure them because you are their customer. And they are supposed to honor that.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 26 Apr 2012, 10:38

Icon wrote:Good luck. I think it is better if they fight the fight for you, and most importantly, YOU can pressure them because you are their customer. And they are supposed to honor that.

Right... what Icon and the other people said is spot on. AMEX promised that you should be able to transfer and to do a language or cultural disability, you can't get a straight answer.

I you are allowed to make this transfer, great! They can assist you as part of normal customer service. If they can't, due to certain laws or what not, at least you would know.

When dealing with corporations, it is a good Idea to ask the name and extension of the person you are talking to and keep a record of when and what was talked about. That is good practice in general for any country.

In general, I've found customer service to exceptional here in Taiwan, except when dealing with things that are unusual. And being a foreigner the lenth of your name (If using English) and the format of your ID number starts you off on the wrong foot. But usually through negotiation and begging, you could get some who can make things right.

One thing that I'm amazed about here is the time they spend on repair jobs like fixing your motorcycle. They could spend three hours working on problem deep inside your motor for only the cost of the part. I often feel guilty.
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

25 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby history_nerd » 26 Apr 2012, 11:45

I would suggest you contact American Express Executive Customer Service at this number 1-800-297-6197 between 8am and 6pm EST M-F and explain the problem you are facing. They will get the transfer done for you without fail, guaranteed.
history_nerd
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby rob_the_canuck » 27 Apr 2012, 13:10

With regards to the lack of English support, it's really not that surprising. Hell, even the NIA doesn't really care if the staff can communicate with members of the English-speaking foreign community. My wife was looking into applying for work there and was told in not so many words that being able to speak English isn't necessary to work there. When I first got here, I needed a visa extension and not a single person in the then-Foreign Affairs station could speak English. Hell, after it switched to the NIA, I had to call them about an ARC question and was given the run around while they tried to find someone willing to speak to the big nose. My wife ended up just taking over the call and speaking with them in Chinese. So if the government itself can't be arsed to make sure their staff is capable of communicating with foreigners, why should private organizations?
You know you're Canadian when you can make love in a canoe.

Woo-hoo! I now wield a shoe! You will all rue the day I got hold of a shoe!!
Forumosan avatar
rob_the_canuck
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)

Re: Im starting to lose it with Amex

Postby dan2006 » 30 Oct 2012, 17:29

Well my story with Amex continues.

I decided to write about it because it is really getting on my nerves.

Since they were not willing to transfer my card from Canada, the senior representative said I should apply for a new one and it would not be a problem. I filled in all the forms, and a week later I was told by the rep that it would be approved, and all I needed to do was sign up for a Singapore airlines kris flyer card since this is a rewards credit card. I applied and emailed him my member number and was assured everything would go through.

Two weeks later no credit card was forthcoming so I called the guy and was told it was declined because the audit department caught it and wants to see my proof of salary and employment contract. I faxed this over and waited and no reply, so I kept calling once a week for the past month to be told tonight that I am declined since I make $44,000NT/mo and their minimum is $50000 - completely disregarding the substantial sum I have in the bank here that would more than cover any credit line they give me. He said he will get his manager to call me tomorrow because the decision to decline me came from management.

I told him to go to www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/ and select Taiwan and it clearly says that I can transfer a card over. I advised that my next call will be to American Express USA to complain if the manager doesnt sort it out. He said he will tell his manager this and get them to call me tomorrow.
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
61 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

Re: Im starting to lose it with Amex

Postby Impaler » 31 Oct 2012, 19:53

dan2006 wrote:Well my story with Amex continues.

I decided to write about it because it is really getting on my nerves.

Since they were not willing to transfer my card from Canada,

So, you're a Canadian trying to pass yourself off as an American? No wonder American Express doesn't want to deal with you. Go sew a maple leaf flag on your backpack, hippie.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Centurion or Platinum charge card

Postby deltaneutral » 16 Jan 2013, 15:51

So has anyone actually transferred over a centurion or platinum card from Singapore, US, or HK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_ ... y_and_fees

It seems like there is no joining fee for centurion taiwan but the annual fees are crazy high. If the benefits are similar, maybe it's easier to just keep the original card from HK, Sing, or US.

I am not trying to show off, I know that the Taiwan expat forum demographics is different than the HK/Singapore one. (English teachers versus Super rich bankers/Tax Expatriates) Please respond if you know the answer, no need to comment on why one needs a centurion card.

Flyertalk has a nice thread going, but for some reason I am not allowed to post on the site!
deltaneutral

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan