Favorite things about Taipei?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby Jialin » 25 Apr 2012, 13:11

Hey everyone! Really looking forward to my move to Taipei this summer! What are your favorite things about the city? (If you wish, feel free to share your least favorite things too) Curious to learn more about life in Taipei! cheers~
Follow me on Twitter @3lleryy
Forumosan avatar
Jialin
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Re: Favorite things about Taipei?

Postby finley » 25 Apr 2012, 13:12

The HSR, so I can get away from Taipei.

Seriously, it is extremely cool. Whenever I have even the slightest excuse for an HSR trip on company expenses, I take it :)
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

780 Recommends(s)
601 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 25 Apr 2012, 14:47

Cabs are cheap and clean (the ones you call). For ex. from Tianmu to Neihu Costco it's about 260 NT one way during off peak time, and coming home, $300 keep the change. That's around $10 US. In SF, that gets me about five blocks.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 25 Apr 2012, 14:53

Sidewalks: no need to dodge traffic.
The MRT system is excellent; buses tend to be good.
Western food worth going out of your way for.
The riverside parks: a rare example of excellent urban planning.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 25 Apr 2012, 15:39

And just where are these sidewalks you speak of? I know there are some right where 101 is, but aside from that, the sidewalks I know of are either cluttered (so you end up in the road), non-existent (so you end up in the road) have a wall built across them (so you end up in the road) or are uneven with odd stepped steps (so you end up in the road, but on your face).

My favoutite thing about Taipei? The view of it from the mountains and the electric neon edge you get from it at nighttime.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...

This post was recommended by touduke (25 Apr 2012, 15:56)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 25 Apr 2012, 16:00

My memories about the years I lived there when I was young
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 25 Apr 2012, 16:04

Jaboney wrote:Sidewalks: no need to dodge traffic.
The MRT system is excellent; buses tend to be good.
Western food not worth going out of your way for.
The riverside parks: a raregreat example of excellentTaipei Gov't's urban planning.

You don't leave the valley much do you?
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 25 Apr 2012, 16:13

I'm pretty high on Taipei right now. Many things to like. This city has come along way in the last few years and deserves its due propers. Great food, great nightlife, generally chilled out people who leave you the F alone (which is all I want), safe, lovely females, lots of opportunities to play sports, great scenic destinations (beaches, mountains, valleys etc...) within an hour's drive, great mass transit (though I do not use it), improving traffic, more green, less pollution.

Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

88 Recommends(s)
441 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 25 Apr 2012, 16:17

Sunny days in Taipei are my favorite.

I guesstimate there have been about 6 so far this year, a little less than 2 per month, but each and every one is a favorite!!!

Anyway, every morning I wake up and say to my self "Another beautiful day in Taipei!!!", and then get a good laugh to myself (and maybe the neighbors), which sets ups the rest of the day to prepare for rain and clouds.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
32 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 25 Apr 2012, 16:24

Super Hans wrote:

And just where are these sidewalks you speak of?

I'd also like to know. :ponder:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

984 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan