Grumbling about low wages in Kaohsiung

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Grumbling about low wages in Kaohsiung

Postby wonder » 27 Apr 2012, 13:30

I am creating this post in this section because I feel the issues relate to living in Taiwan rather than simply teaching in Taiwan. However, I understand if the moddies move it. :)

Recently, a former teacher posted a long message on the Kaohsiung Living page that specified his or her concerns and irritations related to teaching for lower than NT$600/hr at most buxibans. The post stated, accurately, that a few more schools have begun offering between NT$350 and NT$450/hr for Western English teachers.

Although I don't know anyone who teachers for less than 550/hr, I do know that Global Village paid 450/hr at one point primarily because of the lack of preparation involved. The post went on to say that most of these lower wage positions were being accepted by newbies who were only here for a year or so, opposed to some of us who have made a home in Taiwan.

It should also be pointed out here that during my 10 years in TW, the starting wage has stayed at 600/hr. So in general, I empathize with the post. I do agree that hourly wages should at least be staying at their current level rather than being reduced and that us longtimers should not accept positions that offer lower than 600/hr for fear of the hourly rate being reduced even more.

That being said, there are other issues at play here.

First of all, some buxiban supervisors and hiring officers do not like the fact that Western teachers earn almost double the wage they earn. I happen to know my former supervisor had to work six days a week, 10 hours a day to earn a salary of NT$30,000/month. She is a very qualified, well spoken woman and her English is almost at the native speaker level. That caveat may have something to do with some supervisors trying to reduce the hourly rate for new teachers and should always be kept in mind by those who wish to earn more than 600/hr for a new position.

The other issues that need to be addressed here in Kaohsiung are multiple and have a direct bearing on wages.

For example, I just quit a school that required between 6 hours and 12 hours of marking each week outside the classroom, unpaid. I understand there will be at least a couple of hours of marking but 10 hours each week is unreasonable. When it is factored into the hourly teaching wages of 600/hr, then you end up earning around NT$300/hr. I did not know about the marking until after I had been there a couple weeks and already had my work permit.

The other thing that should be addressed is the disappearing full-time jobs in the South. If one scans the local job boards and message boards here in K-town, the first thing that is realized is the overwhelming number of part time jobs being offered. Some of these are only two hours each week. But most are somewhere between six and 12 hours a week.

It has got to the point here that 50 per cent of the teachers here have to work 14 hours a week at one school and 12 hours a week at another in order to pull in a comparably decent wage. The same is true for Tainan City. I believe this is a result of the industry responding to teachers who at first wanted to earn extra money. Now, part time work is the norm rather than the exception.

So although I believe it is a good thing that some teachers are ready to form a committee here in the South to address hourly wages, there are other issues that need to be addressed either before or during the meetings that seem to be coming soon. (And no, I was not the person who wrote the post on the Kaohsiung Living board).

But here is the message link from KL.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kaohsiung ... sage/38703
"Close up I am big but far away I'm small and hardly here at all."
Ray Davies from The Kinks
wonder
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Re: Grumbling about low wages in Kaohsiung

Postby ChewDawg » 27 Apr 2012, 13:37

Good morning Kaohsiung how are you?
Don't you know me I'm your expat son,
I'm the teacher they call Canadian sticky ball man,
I'll be paid 300NT when the day is done. :discodance:
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 27 Apr 2012, 14:08

Supply and demand. People get what the market is prepared to pay them. Locals trying to reduce pay because they are jealous isn't a factor.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 27 Apr 2012, 14:17

So, in a nutshell, "Teachering Engrish ain't like what it used to be"?

Yawn :neutral:
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
62 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 27 Apr 2012, 15:05

Should there be a minimum wage set ? Or remain free market?
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 27 Apr 2012, 15:33

I only know one teacher down there. He won't get out of bed for less than NT$1,200 an hour. But he delivers the goods and they know it. He has more work opportunities than he can handle and has still been unable to find even one single person he'd trust his reputation to, so he keeps them to himself. I imagine he's not the only one.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 27 Apr 2012, 15:42

I suppose I am lucky. Both schools I work at are 5 minutes from my place.

One I work for has a few branches in Kaohsiung, and they often complain they cannot find suitable teachers. Sometimes they look for weeks and nothing.

I have also never heard of anyone working for less than 550 per hour. Never 350 or 450.

Yes, the market has shrunk, but it has also fundamentally changed. Schools tend to be a lot more strict in their selection criteria. The days of gettin a job because you have a white face and don't suffer from sticky ball elbow are over.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 28 Apr 2012, 11:47

I've been reading these posts on KL.com and it's just getting ridiculous. they are going as far as suggesting a union. How in the damn hell would that work? Are they providing jobless benefits? Are they including every newb that comes to Taiwan? Are they including the half drunk slackers that can't hold a job? I sure as hell won't be providing any part of my paycheck to a teacher's union.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 28 Apr 2012, 18:08

Anyone who tries to build a life here relying solely on buxiban's is playing Russian roulette.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 28 Apr 2012, 21:03

The scary thing is that this applies to the majority of business sectors in todays economy.

On a recent trip home I visited my previous employer, where I held a senior position. From the time I left in 2009, 50 percent of the staff had been laid off. In the 5 years I worked there, retrenchments took place every year.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan