Grumbling about low wages in Kaohsiung

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Apr 2012, 21:36

bigduke6 wrote:The scary thing is that this applies to the majority of business sectors in todays economy.

On a recent trip home I visited my previous employer, where I held a senior position. From the time I left in 2009, 50 percent of the staff had been laid off. In the 5 years I worked there, retrenchments took place every year.

You can see it in the attitudes of some workers there, the workforce is a lot more pliable now. The only people who have job security are government employees, night and day compared to private sector work.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1479 Recommends(s)
555 Recognized(s)

Re: Grumbling about low wages in Kaohsiung

Postby Charlie Phillips » 29 Apr 2012, 01:24

So you got a bunch of people thinking they are entitled to a certain rate per hour, regardless of the reality of the market or the quality of their work and they are going to protest and picket and get media attention? :loco:
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

80 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 29 Apr 2012, 01:41

Charlie Phillips wrote:So you got a bunch of people thinking they are entitled to a certain rate per hour, regardless of the reality of the market or the quality of their work and they are going to protest and picket and get media attention? :loco:

Typical liberal arts entitlement. They take courses on the history of basket weaving in 17th Century Wales and expect 2000NT/hour. :lol:
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

107 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 29 Apr 2012, 12:12

As they say, when you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Why would I leave a good job in the west if all they are going to offer is a miserable $300-400/hr. Even college kids can get about the same working at a coffee shop or as a waiter in some food place and make more than that. All without going to the other side of the world to dance for peanuts.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

55 Recommends(s)
69 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Apr 2012, 12:59

Yep, while making an association is a good idea in terms of improving working rights it's very unlikely they can control the wage rate. Time to switch careers or gear up with more tools in the box.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.

This post was recommended by creztor (29 Apr 2012, 13:09)
Rating: 5.88%
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1479 Recommends(s)
555 Recognized(s)

Postby SillyWilly » 29 Apr 2012, 18:05

Let the free market mechanism decide what to pay teachers in each "local" market. If you're not happy with the free market rate, then move somewhere where the rate is higher, change careers or return to your domicile. If you want to get paid more, offer a better service, build a good reputation, or work for yourself. The idea of a foreign teachers' union is laughable. :loco:
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 29 Apr 2012, 18:20

SillyWilly wrote:If you want to get paid more, offer a better service, build a good reputation, or work for yourself.

Or do all three at the same time. :2cents:
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

31 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 29 Apr 2012, 18:27

wonder wrote:But here is the message link from KL.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kaohsiung ... sage/38703

I enjoyed the response from Priscilla Van Rooyen .

Priscilla Van Rooyen wrote:If you are an experienced teacher you should not except anything under NT600.

And they wonder why they are only being paid $600/hr... :roflmao:
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

31 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 29 Apr 2012, 18:28

Double post.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

31 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 29 Apr 2012, 18:39

funkymonkey wrote:
I enjoyed the response from Priscilla Van Rooyen .

Priscilla Van Rooyen wrote:If you are an experienced teacher you should not except anything under NT600.

And they wonder why they are only being paid $600/hr... :roflmao:

Here's another gem from her:

Still though NT550 for someone that knows what their doing?!

:doh:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

946 Recommends(s)
357 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan