Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

bathtub repair

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

bathtub repair

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 28 Apr 2012, 19:41

The bathtub in my bathroom is cracked, and because of that it leaked water into the bathroom floor while showering.

The landlord will pay for the material (deducted from rent payments) to fix the bathtub crack.

Has anyone tried to fix a leaking bathtub, the way I see is I just sand off the gel coat, and then fiberglass over the crack. Will this work?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Re: bathtub repair

Postby Incubus » 28 Apr 2012, 23:05

Don't bother repairing it. A fiberglass tub is shot once it's cracked. Same thing happened to my tub years ago. I tried gluing the crack together, but it cracked again under my weight. I had to replace it with a new one, and my landlady, knowing how old the thing was, footed the bill. Just keep in mind that the work of replacing it will take an entire day.
Incubus
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

12 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 28 Apr 2012, 23:07

Incubus wrote:Don't bother repairing it. A fiberglass tub is shot once it's cracked. Same thing happened to my tub years ago. I tried gluing the crack together, but it cracked again under my weight. I had to replace it with a new one, and my landlady, knowing how old the thing was, footed the bill. Just keep in mind that the work of replacing it will take an entire day.

So you mean I can't lay fiberglass cloth over it?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
Taiwan Luthiers

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 29 Apr 2012, 14:18

I have no idea how fiberglass cloth works. How would you make it hermetically sealed? And wouldn't the edges dig into your skin as you lie in the tub? The problem with my old tub was there wasn't enough concrete underneath it to support my weight, and it just gave over time. So when I had the new tub put in, I made sure that the new concrete support was more than adequate, and it turned out literally hard as a rock. Could have done jumping jacks on it and it wouldn't have made a dent.
Incubus

12 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 29 Apr 2012, 16:29

Nothing in Taiwan is ever made to be fixed, when broken throw out and buy new! That's the motto! :whistle:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 29 Apr 2012, 16:38

Thing is, the landlord isn't willing to pay to replace the bathtub because it is very expensive. The bathtub itself is going to be over 10,000NT and the work is probably going to be at least another 3000.

There are support under the bathtub (I can tell because it feels solid) but it seems inconsistent, the area with the crack seems to be lacking support. I am thinking of drilling a hole there and filling that area with expanding foam. I hope it will be enough. I will then fiberglass over the thing. The landlord is willing to pay 1000nt for materials (fiberglass, resin, foam, etc.) to get it fixed though. They aren't concerned about a cosmetically perfect fix (neither am I, the bathroom looks ugly already) but I am more concerned about the leak as I am trying to maintain a dry bathroom environment. Although a new gelcoat over the entire bathtub will probably be a good thing after the crack is patched over to make things look new again...

If it was my house I probably get rid of the bathtub altogether and just have a shower stall, but then I'll want to replace the sink, toilet, and retile the entire bathroom too. Right now though I'll probably power wash the bathroom to get the old grime off the tiles...

Typhoon Guitars
Taiwan Luthiers

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 30 Apr 2012, 04:35

If the crack were on the wall, you'd probably be able to do this, but it sounds like it's on the bottom surface of the tub. No way it'll last.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby ichbinjenny » 30 Apr 2012, 15:18

I've got the exact same problem in my new apartment. I was going to have my handyman take a look, since I thought it could be a simple caulk-it-up kind of job.

Taiwan Luthiers: I don't think 10K for the tub is too much. I'm already investing 10K+ on lighting and another 10K on carpets/rugs. I figure it will be worth me paying since I'll get what I want, and I'll be able to use it for the next few years -- I want to make sure they do it right. Are you finding your own contractor/workers?
ichbinjenny

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 30 Apr 2012, 15:22

it's not your fault the bath broke, it's normal wear and tear. The landlord should either have it repaired or replace it. It's too much to expect you to do it.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby ichbinjenny » 30 Apr 2012, 15:35

StuartCa wrote:it's not your fault the bath broke, it's normal wear and tear. The landlord should either have it repaired or replace it. It's too much to expect you to do it.

OK.
ichbinjenny

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan