Moving to Taiwan and other questions

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Moving to Taiwan and other questions

Postby bluenitsuj » 29 Apr 2012, 06:12

Hi all, newbie here

I am English, currently living in the Uk and this year am marrying my my Taiwanese partner of 10 years this summer. I have just been told that I am being made redundant next April 2013 so we have decided that this could be the chance of moving to Taiwan to live. ( We were going to do this when our daughter reached 18, she is 10 now ). My partner has family all over taiwan ( and china ) and also has use of a flat in Taipei whoch is owned by the family.
I have many questions so sorry if they are elsewhere.
1. I am worried about finding work but my partner says I should have no problem. ( I speak only very basic Mandarin and I will be 40 when we arrive. I have no degree and have been a Warehouse Manager of over 50+ staff for over 10 years ). What choices do I have. we would love to set up our own business but do not know what.

2. I do not particularly want to teach English, but am prepared to take a TESOL or CELTA. I have heard that as a spouse of a Taiwanese that I do not require a degree but I am not sure if this is true.

3. Schools. I know the european schools are very pricey, what other options do we have. My daughter speaks hardly any Mandarin but I am arranging private lessons to get her up to speed.

4.How soon should I start applying for my aprc?

What other jobs relistically can I expect to have a chance with, taking into account my lack of speaking Mandarin.

I thank you all for your help and hopefully put my mind at rest.
bluenitsuj
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Moving to Taiwan and other questions

Postby akikaki1 » 29 Apr 2012, 06:17

I don't know to much about work but you say you don't have a degree whatever job you get you would be making 3x more with engrish. Looks like most expats live good with teaching engrish.
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby bluenitsuj » 29 Apr 2012, 06:30

akikaki1 wrote:I don't know to much about work but you say you don't have a degree whatever job you get you would be making 3x more with engrish. Looks like most expats live good with teaching engrish.

I have been looking to teach English but not having a degree probably ends that idea, hopefully other people can confirm whether I need one being a spouse of a Taiwanese. Also, do you need a degree for all teaching levels in Taiwan?
bluenitsuj

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CraigTPE » 29 Apr 2012, 07:16

My understanding is that if you are married to a Taiwanese, get a JFRV and then an open work permit, you can work any job you want.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 29 Apr 2012, 11:16

As you will be getting an ARC based on your marriage to a Taiwanese, you will have open work rights. You can get a job teaching without a degree. You can basically do anything you want, workwise.
However, the school might have a policy to only hire those with degrees.
That being said, having a JFRV does have an advantage to the school in that they do not need to sponsor you, so it can cut both ways.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 29 Apr 2012, 13:01

bluenitsuj wrote:Hi all, newbie here

I am English, currently living in the Uk and this year am marrying my my Taiwanese partner of 10 years this summer. I have just been told that I am being made redundant next April 2013 so we have decided that this could be the chance of moving to Taiwan to live. ( We were going to do this when our daughter reached 18, she is 10 now ). My partner has family all over taiwan ( and china ) and also has use of a flat in Taipei whoch is owned by the family.
1. I am worried about finding work but my partner says I should have no problem. ( I speak only very basic Mandarin and I will be 40 when we arrive. I have no degree and have been a Warehouse Manager of over 50+ staff for over 10 years ). What choices do I have. we would love to set up our own business but do not know what.

2. I do not particularly want to teach English, but am prepared to take a TESOL or CELTA. I have heard that as a spouse of a Taiwanese that I do not require a degree but I am not sure if this is true.

3. Schools. I know the european schools are very pricey, what other options do we have. My daughter speaks hardly any Mandarin but I am arranging private lessons to get her up to speed.

What other jobs relistically can I expect to have a chance with, taking into account my lack of speaking Mandarin.

I'd say the Morrison Academy is probably the English-only-instruction international school that's the main alternative to TES. http://bethany.mca.org.tw/

There are some private bilingual schools here but your daughter would probably really struggle with learning enough Chinese quickly enough not to make a large part of her school day extremely boring for quite a while.

If you search under 'schools' in the parenting forum there have been a few discussions about this. I wouldn't worry too much about your daughter's Mandarin lessons if she's going to be attending an international school. There are a lot of children here who speak little or no Chinese and they do fine.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby bluenitsuj » 30 Apr 2012, 00:02

bigduke6 wrote:As you will be getting an ARC based on your marriage to a Taiwanese, you will have open work rights. You can get a job teaching without a degree. You can basically do anything you want, workwise.
That being said, having a JFRV does have an advantage to the school in that they do not need to sponsor you, so it can cut both ways.

If I get a JFRV, do I not need a aprc?
bluenitsuj

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby bluenitsuj » 30 Apr 2012, 00:11

Petrichor wrote:
bluenitsuj wrote:Hi all, newbie here

I'd say the Morrison Academy is probably the English-only-instruction international school that's the main alternative to TES. http://bethany.mca.org.tw/
There are some private bilingual schools here but your daughter would probably really struggle with learning enough Chinese quickly enough not to make a large part of her school day extremely boring for quite a while.

If you search under 'schools' in the parenting forum there have been a few discussions about this. I wouldn't worry too much about your daughter's Mandarin lessons if she's going to be attending an international school. There are a lot of children here who speak little or no Chinese and they do fine.

That school looks good but are there such schools which are not mainly American taught,( nothing against Americans ) are there any english curriculum schools?
bluenitsuj

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tomthorne » 30 Apr 2012, 00:14

bluenitsuj wrote:
That school looks good but are there such schools which are not mainly American taught,( nothing against Americans ) are there any english curriculum schools?

Taipei European School. 50,000NTD a month.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 30 Apr 2012, 00:26

bluenitsuj wrote:
bigduke6 wrote:As you will be getting an ARC based on your marriage to a Taiwanese, you will have open work rights. You can get a job teaching without a degree. You can basically do anything you want, workwise.

If I get a JFRV, do I not need a aprc?

You won't qualify for an APRC for 5 years. You will get a JFRV. Both come with OWPs. You can get a job in a buxi with either, regardless of your lack of formal education. You will make better money doing that than anything else short of setting up your own business. Noodle stands can make 100K a month.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

62 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Moving to Taiwan