Moving to Taiwan and other questions

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Re: Moving to Taiwan and other questions

Postby bluenitsuj » 30 Apr 2012, 01:08

Quote" You won't qualify for an APRC for 5 years. You will get a JFRV. Both come with OWPs. You can get a job in a buxi with either, regardless of your lack of formal education. You will make better money doing that than anything else short of setting up your own business. Noodle stands can make 100K a month.[/quote]

What is the difference between a APRC and a JFRV and if I had a JFRV would I need to get a APRC after 5 years. Also, what is OWPs. Sorry if I am being thick.
bluenitsuj
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Toe Save » 30 Apr 2012, 01:19

bluenitsuj wrote:Quote" You won't qualify for an APRC for 5 years. You will get a JFRV. Both come with OWPs. You can get a job in a buxi with either, regardless of your lack of formal education. You will make better money doing that than anything else short of setting up your own business. Noodle stands can make 100K a month.

What is the difference between a APRC and a JFRV and if I had a JFRV would I need to get a APRC after 5 years. Also, what is OWPs. Sorry if I am being thick.

JFRV means you are sponsored by your wife's family. You get a divorce and it's like being fired from your job and out you go.

APRC you control your own destiny, but must stay in country 183 days every calendar year. There is a one time exemption of what I believe can be up to 2 years. May be more???

After 5 years of JFRV, you can apply for APRC, but why would you if you have a solid marriage? JFRV allows you to come and go as you please.

OWP is open work permit. You can work at 7 11 if you want.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

62 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby bluenitsuj » 30 Apr 2012, 01:27

Toe Save wrote:
bluenitsuj wrote:Quote" You won't qualify for an APRC for 5 years. You will get a JFRV. Both come with OWPs. You can get a job in a buxi with either, regardless of your lack of formal education. You will make better money doing that than anything else short of setting up your own business. Noodle stands can make 100K a month.

JFRV means you are sponsored by your wife's family. You get a divorce and it's like being fired from your job and out you go.

APRC you control your own destiny, but must stay in country 183 days every calendar year. There is a one time exemption of what I believe can be up to 2 years. May be more???

After 5 years of JFRV, you can apply for APRC, but why would you if you have a solid marriage? JFRV allows you to come and go as you please.

Thanks Toesave

Is an OWP a separate thing to a JFRV, or is a JFRV used as am OWP?

IGNORE: Just re read and you have already answered that question.
bluenitsuj

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Petrichor » 30 Apr 2012, 05:51

bluenitsuj wrote:
That school looks good but are there such schools which are not mainly American taught,( nothing against Americans ) are there any english curriculum schools?

As Tomthorne says, only TES. There are far more Americans than British in Taiwan. I've been here eight months and haven't met a single other Brit face to face. (I heard a British accent once at a foreigners picnic and it was quite discombobulating.)

Have a look here for more information: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=104201&p=1362067&hilit=schools+english#p1362067
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

89 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby bluenitsuj » 01 May 2012, 19:01

When is the best time to apply for a JFRV, we are getting married in August, I presume we will have to register our marriage in taiwan, then apply for a JFRV. Can we not apply before we go next summer, and if we have to apply only when we get there, am I unable to work until I get it, or is there some sort of temporary work permit/visa that I should use.
bluenitsuj

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Feiren » 01 May 2012, 20:27

bluenitsuj wrote:When is the best time to apply for a JFRV, we are getting married in August, I presume we will have to register our marriage in taiwan, then apply for a JFRV. Can we not apply before we go next summer, and if we have to apply only when we get there, am I unable to work until I get it, or is there some sort of temporary work permit/visa that I should use.

There is no temporary permit. Registering your marriage in Taiwan requires a lot of paperwork and usually takes time. You need to read around these fora--all the information on marriage is here.

Have you been to Taiwan? I love living here, but it can be a bit of an adjustment for some people--especially people who moved here to be with their Taiwanese partner since their connection to Taiwan is only through their partner. Most 'trailing' partners don't seen to do well here. Of course I know some who have thrived and I hope you are one of them.

Good luck and welcome!
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby bluenitsuj » 01 May 2012, 21:15

Feiren wrote:
bluenitsuj wrote:When is the best time to apply for a JFRV, we are getting married in August, I presume we will have to register our marriage in taiwan, then apply for a JFRV. Can we not apply before we go next summer, and if we have to apply only when we get there, am I unable to work until I get it, or is there some sort of temporary work permit/visa that I should use.

There is no temporary permit. Registering your marriage in Taiwan requires a lot of paperwork and usually takes time. You need to read around these fora--all the information on marriage is here.

Have you been to Taiwan? I love living here, but it can be a bit of an adjustment for some people--especially people who moved here to be with their Taiwanese partner since their connection to Taiwan is only through their partner. Most 'trailing' partners don't seen to do well here. Of course I know some who have thrived and I hope you are one of them.

Good luck and welcome!

Hi Feiren,

Yes I have been to Taiwan, my third time was back in February. I met my to be wife in England when she was studying to learn English over 10 years ago, she now speaks fluent English with no accent! I absolutely love Taiwan, from the buzz of the markets and nightlife to the quiet villages down south. My fiancee's family are all over Taiwan and are extremely welcoming ( even though there is the language barrier ). Her brother is the nicest guy I have ever met, there is nothing he would not do for you. My main worry is finding a job, my fiancee should not have any trouble as her family own several large businesses throughout Taiwan, and we shall hopegully get them to put a word round to find any work going.

The reason for our move is because I am being made redundant next April so thinking of the phrases " You only live once" and " things happen for a reason " we have decided now is the time to give it a go.
bluenitsuj

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Meadows » 01 May 2012, 22:38

Nothing more to add than I hope you have a good time! I'm English too (and have a long-term Taiwanese partner). Never lived in Taiwan but I've visited quite a few times, and I agree, the Taiwanese are unshakably helpful in every way.
Meadows
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 01 May 2012, 23:25

Toe Save wrote:

So how do you go from APRC to getting a Taiwan citizenship? Do you really have to renounce your birthplace citizenship in order to get a TW passport?
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 01 May 2012, 23:39

PigBloodCake wrote:
So how do you go from APRC to getting a Taiwan citizenship? Do you really have to renounce your birthplace citizenship in order to get a TW passport?

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 66&t=19697

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 67&t=80053

You're not a newbie, so you're going to get one of these from me: :roll:

Be thankful it wasn't from Northcoast Surfer.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1051 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Moving to Taiwan